home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

09-22-2023, 02:29 PM   #1
Stanim
Private
Rep
Drives: Model 3 P; Q50 hybrid; M240i

Retrofit Traditional Shift Knob?

I am wondering has anyone done a retrofit our 23 model tiny gear selector to let's say 2022 model shift knob? If so, where can I buy the parts? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 02:44 PM   #2
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

I am speaking without any expertise on the subject, but looking at the design, it could be possible. The overall dimensions of the center console control unit look the same based on pictures. I'd wonder if the entire piece between the cupholder lid and center console armrest could be changed out (not sure if the trim is separate?). Is the harness the same beneath each year? And then if the harness is the same, would ID8 and the associated computers/controllers recognize the inputs from the shifter? I'm not sure whether ID8 would recognize the stick being put to the left and shifting up/down for upshifts and downshifts since I don't think there are any ID8 cars with the stick other than the M cars.

This would be an interesting experiment if someone got their hands on the center console electronics from a 2022 and seeing if it could be retrofit into a 2023 and function properly.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 03:44 PM   #3
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Someone did this on the G20 section. It seems that everything worked but you’ll,need to find a center console shifter assembly that has all the buttons your car has (360 camera, adaptation or no adaptive button)
      09-22-2023, 04:21 PM   #4
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
Someone did this on the G20 section. It seems that everything worked but you’ll,need to find a center console shifter assembly that has all the buttons your car has (360 camera, adaptation or no adaptive button)
Is there no circuitry beneath the "blank" buttons? I only ask because I have accidentally pressed the blank space where the Adaptive button used to be on the '22, between Auto Hold and Eco mode, it still feels like a button like the rest of them. From a cost perspective I would have thought they'd all be wired the same way, but just not programmed into the car?

*Edit* I think I found the thread: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...hlight=shifter

Sounds like a coding thing is the biggest reason behind having the buttons. Someone had an error come up?

Last edited by Littlecoupe; 09-22-2023 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: Found the thread
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 07:05 PM   #5
Stanim
Private
Rep
Drives: Model 3 P; Q50 hybrid; M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
I am speaking without any expertise on the subject, but looking at the design, it could be possible. The overall dimensions of the center console control unit look the same based on pictures. I'd wonder if the entire piece between the cupholder lid and center console armrest could be changed out (not sure if the trim is separate?). Is the harness the same beneath each year? And then if the harness is the same, would ID8 and the associated computers/controllers recognize the inputs from the shifter? I'm not sure whether ID8 would recognize the stick being put to the left and shifting up/down for upshifts and downshifts since I don't think there are any ID8 cars with the stick other than the M cars.

This would be an interesting experiment if someone got their hands on the center console electronics from a 2022 and seeing if it could be retrofit into a 2023 and function properly.
This actually leads to me think maybe if I were to retrofit a new M2 shifter to it would have lesser fitting problems probably.
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201843.50
      10-20-2023, 10:08 AM   #6
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M240i RWD

I actually was considering this mod but now that I have the car I appreciate the extra room that I gain by having the push buttons instead of the shift lever.

And with ID8 moving most of the controls to the touch screen, I have room for a Garmin Nav using one of the cupholders while not blocking the climate/radio controls - and I still have room for a bottle of water or cup of coffee in the other cupholder. For a "smaller" car, all these space savers add up.

I quickly adjusted to paddle shifters years ago and prefer them over the shift lever.
Appreciate 0