bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) App, Nav, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-08-2022, 07:50 AM   #1
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
M3 Mtrack cluster display via add in module

For those who want more dashboard bling this is a good project.
It involves installing a small electronic module behind the right side footwell panel and having remote coding done to enable the module

The result is pleasing and better than the Bimmercode dashboard change as it's a module that gives the standard M3/4 display and on pressing the sport button the display changes to M track display with matching HUD. It also features the in display LED converging tacho when in manual shift mode
As an added bonus switching to sport opens the valve
It gives a more premium feel to the dashboard and functions and is much more sporty than a stock layout
I'll leave a link to the vendor who does an installation video but also organises the remote coding. The process was straight forward and quite professional.
For those not hesitant to pull apart and rewire wiring harness components it's a straight forward project that involves removing some trim, battery must be disconnected for this one
If anyone wants a written set of instructions and schematic drawing I'm happy to post a set I drew up as the video is clear but some prefer a written instruction set with diagrams

Attached Images

Appreciate 8
      07-08-2022, 08:43 AM   #2
Vudumonkey25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i x Mercedes CLS550

Looks great. I was curious if this module carried over from the G20.
Is the module spliced in or plug and play?
'22 M240i BSM, Shadowline, Black 791M wheels, Red Calipers, ///M Carbon Front Lip, ///M Carbon Spoiler, ///MCarbon Door Sills, Milltek Catback w/Black Tips, Dinan Carbon Intake/Engine Cover, AA Catted DP, Dalher Valve Controller, OEM+ Strut Bar, Red Start/Stop, Floating center caps, TLG Mud Flaps, Black Badges, Led Projectors, 50th Emblems, Carbon Diffuser/Mirrors w/smoke signals/Side Wings/Cooling Shroud/KIES fire extinguisher, Yellow DRL
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 04:16 PM   #3
allfitat55
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Garage List
2022 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Great write up I am the worst when it comes to tools but may get my local mechanic to give me a hand one day if I go this way.

After coding every version of the display in the beginning I am actually still rocking stock :P But I do like that M look
Appreciate 1
DaveDee532.00
      07-08-2022, 04:16 PM   #4
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudumonkey25 View Post
Looks great. I was curious if this module carried over from the G20.
Is the module spliced in or plug and play?
It's better in real life than photos. I'm not sure of the history but it suits G series generally with the exception of hybrids
I've attached a schematic I drew up for the installation. It's not spliced but instead installed by adding in like an extension cable, disconnecting 4 terminals from a 36 way header and connecting them to a module, then connecting from the module back to the BMW header. Basically just powering up the module and adding it to the CANbus. It's then coded by ESYS via team viewer by the Vendor so it's not plug and play and is dormant unless coded
Attached Images
File Type: pdf M CLUSTER.pdf (123.9 KB, 135 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 04:24 PM   #5
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by allfitat55 View Post
Great write up I am the worst when it comes to tools but may get my local mechanic to give me a hand one day if I go this way.

After coding every version of the display in the beginning I am actually still rocking stock :P But I do like that M look
This one is a bit better than the coded version as its hardware generated and had better font scaling and real widgets. The HUD works as expected too.

It's easy to install and code in at a later time, so you could have it installed and code later. For coding you need a Windows laptop and have to install a few applications and data.

It's not something you would put on a friends computer as there are some sections detected as trojans and removed but you can get past for the install and then let the PC a scan and clean
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2022, 07:05 PM   #6
allfitat55
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Garage List
2022 BMW M240i  [0.00]
[QUOTE=DaveDee;29090239]
It's easy to install and code in at a later time, so you could have it installed and code later. For coding, you need a Windows laptop and have to install a few applications and data.

/QUOTE]

I guess you need OBD to ethernet as well? I only Bluetooth OBD. But I do have an old OBD to USB which I use for Fordscan cars. might have to investigate if Esy works with it 1st.

Being in the IT industry I know team viewers pretty well so that should not be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 07:11 PM   #7
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=allfitat55;29090670]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee View Post
It's easy to install and code in at a later time, so you could have it installed and code later. For coding, you need a Windows laptop and have to install a few applications and data.

/QUOTE]

I guess you need OBD to ethernet as well? I only Bluetooth OBD. But I do have an old OBD to USB which I use for Fordscan cars. might have to investigate if Esy works with it 1st.

Being in the IT industry I know team viewers pretty well so that should not be an issue.
As part of the kit they supply an Enet cable (which is perfect for coding afterwards and about 20 times faster than bluetooth) If you don’t have an ethernet port you will need a Ethernet to USB adaptor. I got type C so I can also use if for Bimmertech
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2022, 09:35 AM   #8
BeemerBaron
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Awesome awesome install Dave, looks great!
Appreciate 1
DaveDee532.00
      07-15-2022, 08:37 PM   #9
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Look forward to hearing how yours goes. Its a great mod, just loving it
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 10:18 AM   #10
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

Any update on this? I saw a screen shot somewhere you could engage 2wd with dsc off, do you have the option, does it work?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 12:11 PM   #11
Value
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

How did you get the shift lights to work? I bought the module from chain as well. But he said they can’t activate the shift light function.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 03:31 PM   #12
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebarb View Post
Any update on this? I saw a screen shot somewhere you could engage 2wd with dsc off, do you have the option, does it work?
No, if the hardware is not fitted it won't work. As far as I know this is the graphics module of the M3/M4 which you install and the hardware is then coded in. There will be elements that don't work but the graphics are thre
Appreciate 1
Ruebarb375.00
      07-26-2022, 03:33 PM   #13
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Value View Post
How did you get the shift lights to work? I bought the module from chain as well. But he said they can’t activate the shift light function.
The shift lights work in manual mode only (move the gearshift way from you) and use the paddles to shift gears, when you get in the higher RPMs the shift lights come on and converge.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 05:57 PM   #14
Value
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The shift lights work in manual mode only (move the gearshift way from you) and use the paddles to shift gears, when you get in the higher RPMs the shift lights come on and converge.
I don’t have it installed yet. I ordered it a few days ago,however chain said it doesn’t work and it can’t be coded. So I’m confused lol
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 06:16 PM   #15
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don’t have it installed yet. I ordered it a few days ago,however chain said it doesn’t work and it can’t be coded. So I’m confused lol
I've just updated him. I'm sure the function is implemented in hardware, not coding. They have done a brilliant job sourcing the hardware and coding it in the car maybe not realising the full functionality of the hardware itself
The add on module would do that if it replicates the M3/M4 function as the tac function is already in the dash, it's just part of the display to have the converging LEDs. I just tested mine again now and it looks awesome, as I said you need to me in manual mode with the sports display up and doing at least 5K RPM
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 06:30 PM   #16
Value
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've just updated him. I'm sure the function is implemented in hardware, not coding. They have done a brilliant job sourcing the hardware and coding it in the car maybe not realising the full functionality of the hardware itself
The add on module would do that if it replicates the M3/M4 function as the tac function is already in the dash, it's just part of the display to have the converging LEDs. I just tested mine again now and it looks awesome, as I said you need to me in manual mode with the sports display up and doing at least 5K RPM
That’s awesome man! I appreciate it. I love the HUD,and overall look of it,but was excited for the shift lights. I can’t wait to get this thing Installed and coded now. He said 1-2 weeks for delivery.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 06:36 PM   #17
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That’s awesome man! I appreciate it. I love the HUD,and overall look of it,but was excited for the shift lights. I can’t wait to get this thing Installed and coded now. He said 1-2 weeks for delivery.
No problem, If I can get a gopro with suction can or similar I'll try and video it.
Can't use a mobile here, if you pick the phone up even its a $1000 traffic fine
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 02:44 AM   #18
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Not a quality but just a short trip down the street to show the LEDs working

https://youtube.com/shorts/n_M-OfH7pm8
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 06:57 AM   #19
Value
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not a quality but just a short trip down the street to show the LEDs working

https://youtube.com/shorts/n_M-OfH7pm8
$1000 fine sheesshhhh lol - Thanks for the video! Looks awesome with the shift lights.

Last edited by Value; 07-27-2022 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 08:38 PM   #20
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Some have mentioned the download and setups for the programmer both awkward and unclear and I'd have to agree.

There are files in the shared folder that will not download due to viruses or trojans in the zip file. If the files are downloaded they are removed by windows defender

Attached a brief outline on how I did it. Hope it helps
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Mtrack.pdf (172.3 KB, 103 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 01:10 PM   #21
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

How easy is it to reflash yourself in the future after an OTA update?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 03:27 PM   #22
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebarb View Post
How easy is it to reflash yourself in the future after an OTA update?
It's easy to recode your changes in bimmercode but this is coded by a programmer using E-SYS. I was told if an OTA update is applied or a dealer flashes a firmware update all changes are lost and need to be recoded. The Vendor says they will just recode it should this happen.

Anyone experienced with E-Sys here might want to expand on this to see if a backup can be taken and settings later restored
Appreciate 1
Ruebarb375.00