04-15-2024, 03:48 PM   #1
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Discreet Dashcam Install

Products Used
Install
First, a big thanks to @turnsignalslol who did a write up here, covering his install. Very helpful photos that I should have been better about capturing for myself but here we are.

Essentially you use a trim tool to push the two plastic pieces that form the facade apart, I started close to the glass and pushed out, they pop off fairly easily. You'll see two plugs, one small pink, one larger black (featuring in the post linked above) you want to tap the black one. The one surprise I had here was the mirror itself popped off and fell into the floor as I was trying to remove the plug. Though unplanned this actually made getting the tap seated far easier, as it resolved the awkward angle you would have to work at otherwise. You'll tap the red wire into the far right (red/blue wire) and the ground into the far left (black/brown wire), test that you're getting power to your camera, then clip the two plastic pieces together.

I needed the 90-degree adapter because I wanted as little loose cable as I could get away with, this meant leaving too little to make the turn. If you exit from the driver's side vs passenger, the USB in placement on this camera in particular would be perfect.

I worried I would need to trim a groove for the cable to pass through, but don't bother, everything closes tight without any cutting. Five to ten minute job, depending on how easily the plastic separates.

In the end, a clean install that did not require: cutting, soldering or a half mile cable run through the car is what I wanted. Bonus here for me is that the camera is almost entirely out of sight from the driver's seat.
⠀ ⠀
Attached Images

Last edited by abrandonment; 04-15-2024 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 05:21 PM   #2
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Not sure discreet is the correct word.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 05:38 PM   #3
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
Not sure discreet is the correct word.
Really? I was intentional when I selected it. What would you use?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 09:23 AM   #4
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

"Made, done, or situated so as to attract little notice."
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 09:16 PM   #5
RootsTootsMagoots
Private
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Looks great, OP. I tried using the Porsche adapter by Donger and it stayed on 24/7, unfortunately. I ended up just going to the fuse box. Do you have parking mode using this method?

Also, did you run a rear camera? I tried running the wire to the rear, but the B pillar trim above the seat belt was too hard to hide. I really couldn't get the wire hidden at all. I was also afraid for forcing it with my trim tools.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 09:53 PM   #6
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, I've had great luck with the Donger stuff.

I reached out to see if they planned to make one that terminated in C vs Micro but they are not. Hate to use adapters but it's better than the alternative.

I don't get park mode beyond about ten minutes.

Rear camera is something I want but not something I'm willie to deal with installing.. so I'll live without for now.
Appreciate 0