Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ, G87 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW G87 M2  [0.00]
2013 Subaru BRZ  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Ceramic lifetime warranty? What does that include? Depending on you location, exposure and how you take care of your car, you will be lucky to get five years out of it (and there wont be much left of it at that age).
The warranty on the ceramic coating I had put on had a stipulation that I take it back to the shop once a year for an inspection / maintenance coat if needed (not free). I'm confident with a yearly touch up it will last, but we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 10:09 AM   #24
matty_f
on restriction from buying more cars
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 18 GT3T, 16 LR4, 67 912

FYI, Ceramic pro will void your Xpel warranty if you read the fine print. Xpel wants you to use their ceramic products.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 10:56 AM   #25
clydefrog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW G87 M2  [0.00]
2013 Subaru BRZ  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
FYI, Ceramic pro will void your Xpel warranty if you read the fine print. Xpel wants you to use their ceramic products.
The installer I used called this out and just said they would apply the Xpel ceramic coating on the Xpel parts and ceramic pro on the rest.

To add to the thread, I did a full front incl. hood PPF + carbon roof + rocker panels in Xpel PPF. Full ceramic coating with Ceramic pro on the non PPF parts and whatever you need to put on Xpel for that ceramic coat. Also did a tint all total was ~$5,600 bay area.

Installer said the bumper was a bitch. They had to do it multiple times and even then, on my week follow up neither of us were happy with the result and they will be redoing it.
Attached Images

Last edited by clydefrog; 10-27-2023 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2023, 12:23 PM   #26
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefrog View Post
The installer I used called this out and just said they would apply the Xpel ceramic coating on the Xpel parts and ceramic pro on the rest.

To add to the thread, I did a full front incl. hood PPF + carbon roof + rocker panels in Xpel PPF. Full ceramic coating with Ceramic pro on the non PPF parts and whatever you need to put on Xpel for that ceramic coat. Also did a tint all total was ~$5,600 bay area.

Installer said the bumper was a bitch. They had to do it multiple times and even then, on my week follow up neither of us were happy with the result and they will be redoing it.
Thinking about doing the exact same as you. Stuck if I need to do the rear quarters due to how far they stick out. Do you notice a difference in color or shine or does your XPEL help that?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 02:54 PM   #27
clydefrog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW G87 M2  [0.00]
2013 Subaru BRZ  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
Thinking about doing the exact same as you. Stuck if I need to do the rear quarters due to how far they stick out. Do you notice a difference in color or shine or does your XPEL help that?
I haven't noticed a difference. If I were to do it over I would add the rear quarters just for peace of mind.
Appreciate 1
Geighty71410.50
      10-27-2023, 06:03 PM   #28
shehatezme
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:

Which shop in the bay did you use? I think ceramic coating in general is just expensive. I am getting quoted $1,600 to ceramic the whole car. Which is crazy to me since I had never ceramic any of my cars before. I don’t know if I ever will.

My neighbor send his model x plaid to OCDetailing in Fremont. PPF his entire car and ceramic coat for $11k. Its fking crazy tbh. My other frd spent $6k full ppf on his X and I can’t tell the difference to a $12k job. It’s just a consumable that will need to be replaced in 5yrs.
Appreciate 1
clydefrog288.50
      10-27-2023, 11:32 PM   #29
clydefrog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW G87 M2  [0.00]
2013 Subaru BRZ  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shehatezme View Post
Which shop in the bay did you use? I think ceramic coating in general is just expensive. I am getting quoted $1,600 to ceramic the whole car. Which is crazy to me since I had never ceramic any of my cars before. I don’t know if I ever will.

My neighbor send his model x plaid to OCDetailing in Fremont. PPF his entire car and ceramic coat for $11k. Its fking crazy tbh. My other frd spent $6k full ppf on his X and I can’t tell the difference to a $12k job. It’s just a consumable that will need to be replaced in 5yrs.
I went to SS customs in Redwood City and I'm pretty happy so far. They're working with me on the problem areas which is important, and they work with Xpel which is what I was looking for. I found a lot of shops use Suntek which I hear is good too but I really wanted Xpel.

One point of advice is make sure that if they're ceramic coating they're doing the full service wash, clay bar, paint correction too. That's why the quote will be in the thousands, there should be a lot of work put in it's not just applying a ceramic coating on top and calling it a day.

Also something I didn't know beforehand is that although the ceramic coat will 'cure' dry in ~2 days, you still should be careful about getting it wet for ~2 weeks! It sort of feels like more work paying all this money to get these services, but everyone says it pays off in the end.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 02:26 PM   #30
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Also something I didn't know beforehand is that although the ceramic coat will 'cure' dry in ~2 days, you still should be careful about getting it wet for ~2 weeks! It sort of feels like more work paying all this money to get these services, but everyone says it pays off in the end.
Value is in the eye of the beholder. But if you are anal about paint chips and micro scratches and swirlies, PFF and ceramics make a noticeable difference after a couple years of driving.

That's if you are holding the car for 4-ish years. If you are planning on holding it for 10+, it makes even more sense. Reapplying this stuff every 5-6 years makes a massive difference in the long run.

Very IMO, of course.

Last edited by Squidget; 10-28-2023 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-29-2023, 01:50 AM   #31
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
I haven't noticed a difference. If I were to do it over I would add the rear quarters just for peace of mind.
I take my cars to Double Take Auto Spa in Fremont. But I'll have to check out this SS place in Redwood City soon.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN18312.50
      10-29-2023, 07:29 PM   #32
JG13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E39 M5, G87 M2 6MT

I'm just east of the Bay Area and looking to get some PPF done on my BSM I'll be getting in the next few weeks.

I really want a full body PPF, but I don't think I can justify a $10,000 price tag.

Are there any shops in Northern California that charge a more reasonable price? I'm seeing people in other states getting full body PPF for $5000-6000
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 08:54 PM   #33
Stinger77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Kia Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG13 View Post
I'm just east of the Bay Area and looking to get some PPF done on my BSM I'll be getting in the next few weeks.

I really want a full body PPF, but I don't think I can justify a $10,000 price tag.

Are there any shops in Northern California that charge a more reasonable price? I'm seeing people in other states getting full body PPF for $5000-6000
Yeah if someone is quoting you 10k no matter how good is the film or how durable the ceramic coating on top run away fast! I am a pro detailer and that is a pure rip off! A reasonable whole car PPF would be something in the 4k to 5 k done by an super expert done very well, if you want a so so job someone can do it for about 3k whole car in some areas of the country, also ceramic coating your own car after PPF is installed is so stupidly easy, just buy some good Gyeon or Car pro ceramic coating and you will have a blast coating your own car.
Appreciate 3
JG13224.50
DrJLag420799.00
      10-29-2023, 11:21 PM   #34
Mr.McNutty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 135i, G87 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [10.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:

I found a couple shops in the South Bay Area within that price range. I went with a $6k job plus ceramic for another $850. Shoot me a PM if you want my list of shops that I was looking at.

Old username: OnesAndEyes
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 12:33 AM   #35
Searay55555
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger77 View Post
Yeah if someone is quoting you 10k no matter how good is the film or how durable the ceramic coating on top run away fast! I am a pro detailer and that is a pure rip off! A reasonable whole car PPF would be something in the 4k to 5 k done by an super expert done very well, if you want a so so job someone can do it for about 3k whole car in some areas of the country, also ceramic coating your own car after PPF is installed is so stupidly easy, just buy some good Gyeon or Car pro ceramic coating and you will have a blast coating your own car.
Are there any tricks to ceramic? I had the car done, but I want to do the wheels and calipers myself.
Appreciate 1
AZG87977.50
      10-30-2023, 08:51 AM   #36
Workodactyl
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Picked up my car last week. Full PPF. The detailer said it was one of the hardest jobs he ever had. The front and rear has such weird angles that they had to make a lot more seams than usual. But overall, it came out pretty good. I want to ceramic coat the wheels next as the amount of brake dust is insane. Anyway I can do that myself over the winter?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-30-2023, 09:18 AM   #37
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workodactyl View Post
Picked up my car last week. Full PPF. The detailer said it was one of the hardest jobs he ever had. The front and rear has such weird angles that they had to make a lot more seams than usual. But overall, it came out pretty good. I want to ceramic coat the wheels next as the amount of brake dust is insane. Anyway I can do that myself over the winter?

I would ceramic the rims as soon as possible. While it will protect them and make easier to wash, it doesnt stop the buildup of the Brembo dust (mine are filthy after a week of driving).
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN18312.50
      10-30-2023, 09:18 AM   #38
JG13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E39 M5, G87 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger77 View Post
Thanks for that. I guess I may need to do some traveling as shops are charging $10,000 because people are lining up out the door to pay it in the Bay Area. Wild!!

Do you guys have any recommendations for temporary paint protection? In a perfect world I would have an enclosed trailer to keep the car pristine but in reality I'll need to drive it home from the dealership and possibly a few hours away to get it PPF'd.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 09:44 AM   #39
Knocksvil
Rep
Drives: G87

Quote:
I can only imagine the front bumper difficulty. The stencil looks crazy on xpels website.

Appreciate 1
      10-30-2023, 10:16 AM   #40
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

I ceramic coated one of my cars last month. (Porsche Cayman S) Thought the $1500 quote was a bit much. Got the Gyeon Mohs. $80 for 50 mL. Had just under half the bottle left over once complete. Did the wheels too. If you are comfortable with detailing a car, you can do it. Prep is the most important for longevity of the ceramic coat. Mohs is a 3 year. 4 if one applies two coats. 5 if one applies the top coat (Gyeon skin).

Here’s the process I followed:

1. Wash with pH neutral soap (I used Gwash from Gtechniq)
2. Iron/Fallout remover next. Rinse well
3. Clay next unless paint is smooth to the touch. A good clay job is probably a best bet anyway.
4. Compound used with RA orbital, folllowed by a polish (2-step). Used Griot’s products here. Check the paint for swirls with an LED lamp. One may be able to get away with just a 1-step (polish only). In my experience, the newest of new cars will typically need some correction before applying the ceramic.
5. Prep spray to remove any residual wax/sealants/polish. This is basically an IPA solution to prep the surface for the ceramic coating. I used Griot’s Prep Spray. The paint will almost feel ‘sticky’ when one runs their fingers across the paint after this step. Now the paint is ready for some protection!
6. Apply ceramic coating. The easiest part is this IMO. Mohs is very easy to apply and remove. It has a good flash time time with an indicator (starts to bead) before wipe off. I waited about 10-15 seconds before removing. I did small 2x2 sections. Make sure to overlap between sections. Apply with provided applicator, wipe off with a tight MF, then buff with a high loft MF. Also used a head lamp to check for any ‘high spots’. Let cure in my carhole for 2 weeks. Followed up with Gyeon Ceramic detailer.

All in all, I’d say it took a total of 8 hrs from start to finish. I started on a Saturday morning and finished by Sunday night. Took lots of breaks cuz I’m getting old…

If you decide to do it yourself, it’s a rewarding experience and the results are crazy.

Here’s some pics of the job.

If you have any Q’s. Let me know.

I plan on ceramic coating my M2 after I get PPF professionally applied. I will not be trying to apply PPF myself.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      10-30-2023, 10:17 AM   #41
Workodactyl
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
I would ceramic the rims as soon as possible. While it will protect them and make easier to wash, it doesnt stop the buildup of the Brembo dust (mine are filthy after a week of driving).
Yeah, I plan to take them off and switch to my winter wheels in the next couple weeks. I figured I could take my time to learn out to ceramic coat them for the spring. I'll have to do some research and see if its a difficult process.

Are the brakes Brembo? I wasn't sure who the manufacturer was.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 10:34 AM   #42
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workodactyl View Post
Yeah, I plan to take them off and switch to my winter wheels in the next couple weeks. I figured I could take my time to learn out to ceramic coat them for the spring. I'll have to do some research and see if its a difficult process.

Are the brakes Brembo? I wasn't sure who the manufacturer was.

Yes, Brembo. Pads are excellent for street performance and light tracking but an utter mess from the dust.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 08:18 PM   #43
Fastfwd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Quote:
Thanks for that. I guess I may need to do some traveling as shops are charging $10,000 because people are lining up out the door to pay it in the Bay Area. Wild!!

Do you guys have any recommendations for temporary paint protection? In a perfect world I would have an enclosed trailer to keep the car pristine but in reality I'll need to drive it home from the dealership and possibly a few hours away to get it PPF'd.
Get some version of 'Track Wrap' for the trip from the Dealer. I've seen Youtubers drive across country after picking up their cars to bring them home using this stuff. It's ugly, but it works. : https://a.co/d/b3wkScM

My car is at the port and I need to make an executive decision on this myself. I've been shopping around and going back and forth from a full PPF job with possibly XPEL Stealth or STEK Dynomatte. I've also been considering only doing it partially in PPF with STek Dynoshield and making sure I get a good paint correction and ceramic coating for the rest. I've even considered just doing it it fully in STEK Dynoshield.

I'm a little apprehensive about the clarity of XPel, but I'm not sure I want to take my car to Dallas for STEK and all the hassle if I ever need followup service.

I'm also feeling like a local might handle the paint correction and ceramic coating portion of the job better (for the money) than the other shops, but that's not based on any solid info.

My car is going to be parked under a carport unfortunately and right now I'm backing off the option of full PPF because I'm concerned whatever sun it does get might make the PPF adhesive fail prematurely and the warranty won't cover it if so.

I do want UV protection for the entire car. I'm just not certain at this point if the ceramic coating failing under the same conditions prematurely is the better gamble to take. I am planning to step up my game with a pressure washer and foam cannon to care for this car's finish and whatever protection I decide upon. Hopefully that will help prolong whatever I go with.

The STEK film is pretty amazing to see in person. I took a day trip to Dallas the weekend before last and visited three shops. Tactical (actually a Xpel shop, but it looked too cool to not check it out), Expert Film Solutions, and Apex. They're all really high end shops. They do top quality work, but these prices are higher than some of you guys in California. So, that's a problem.

I'm looking at $7500 for Dynosheild with an uncertain paint correction and ceramic coating ($8k for Dynomatte) as maybe the least expensive of those three. To be fair I was mostly interested in matte/satin at the time and I just didn't ask much about paint correction and the ceramic coating they used.

Locally, possibly my best option is a XPel CQuartz guy who does a single stage paint correction with CQuartz Professional for $1,200. That's not including the wheels and calipers. That's like another $400 I think.

He does a CQuartz Finest Reserve package with wheels off and 2 stage paint correction (which I probably don't need) for $2,100. I've actually seen this quoted even higher in Wichita, KS. I'm not sure why Finest Reserve is supposed to be so special.

His XPEL pricing is on the high end too though. I may see if I can't negotiate with some of these guys a little. See if they will back off those prices a little bit possibly.

I'm currently balking at all of these quotes. Frankly, I think they see what car it is and quote the highest price. No way these folks bringing in their minivans, etc. are paying these prices. I'm just not believing it.

I've got to bite the bullet and make a decision though. Full matte/satin might look badass or it might turn out ghetto. I'm scared I might pay $8k and hate how it looks and even worse it ends up failing prematurely due to sunlight exposure.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 09:28 PM   #44
Stinger77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Kia Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searay55555 View Post
Are there any tricks to ceramic? I had the car done, but I want to do the wheels and calipers myself.
For the wheels and calipers there is nothing better than car pro Deluxe its literally the gold standard and once your wheels and calipers are super clean and decontaminated is stupid easy to apply, literally apply and buff off and make sure you don't leave any areas un buffed so its all uniformly covered and there is no high spots.
Appreciate 0