BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

11-19-2023, 10:24 AM   #23
azuki
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i

once lease ends dec 25, MY26 M2 it is. this video really shows how impressive g87 looks- pictures don't do justice.
Appreciate 3
c1pher4674.50
EthanEJC199.50
      11-19-2023, 10:43 AM   #24
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
I agree with you. I felt the same way. A bit shallow.
I guess he knew he was late to the party, so no sense in dwelling on previously discussed topics. So he just needed to give his overall impressions.

That said, are you surprised he likes the car better than the previous one, including the CS, and he’s amazed anyone could get in a F87 (OG, C, or CS) and not think the G87 is just objectively better? I think you doubted he would.
Yes, i am a little surprised.

If you watch his 1m vs f87 video, he spends the whole video talking about how much better the f87 is to the 1m, only in the last few minutes to say he prefers the 1m despite its technical inferiority because of, lets say, “intangibles.” This review felt like the exact same video, but with the last few minutes cut out.

From a review perspective, there wasn’t much presented here that couldn’t be found reading a spec sheet. Bigger engine, more powerful, yes. Adaptive dampers, better ride, yes. Improved interior, more comfortable, yes. I reserve judgement about his opinion on the manual since (I believe) all the part numbers are the same as the old one, but sure. Same with his mistake about the dual clutch being available (im sure he just misspoke).

My point being, he didn’t seem to discuss the g87s “intangibles,” which is weird bc i always saw harris as one of the few modern reviewers skilled enough to properly evaluate “intangibles,” and something his reviews are normally known for since he puts such emphasis on how a car “feels.”

(And im not sure how to say this without you getting all roidrage-y, but when ppl say the old m2 is better, they are not talking about the technical performance, but the “intangibles”)
      11-19-2023, 10:56 AM   #25
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post

If you watch his 1m vs f87 video, he spends the whole video talking about how much better the f87 is to the 1m, only in the last few minutes to say he prefers the 1m despite its technical inferiority because of, lets say, “intangibles.” This review felt like the exact same video, but with the last few minutes cut out.

From a review perspective, there wasn’t much presented here that couldn’t be found reading a spec sheet. Bigger engine, more powerful, yes. Adaptive dampers, better ride, yes. Improved interior, more comfortable, yes. I reserve judgement about his opinion on the manual since (I believe) all the part numbers are the same as the old one, but sure. Same with his mistake about the dual clutch being available (im sure he just misspoke).

My point being, he didn’t seem to discuss the g87s “intangibles,” which is weird bc i always saw harris as one of the few modern reviewers skilled enough to properly evaluate “intangibles,” and something his reviews are normally known for since he puts such emphasis on how a car “feels.”

(And im not sure how to say this without you getting all roidrage-y, but when ppl say the old m2 is better, they are not talking about the technical performance, but the “intangibles”)
Gotcha, I guess it’s dependent on who’s watching.
From my seat, I observed him speak about intangibles more so than tangibles. He didn’t talk about any particular “figure” precisely, to focus on the intangibles.

Weight: said an E30 would feel heavier
Suspension: said it’s controlled, and wheel control is like never seen before
Power: loads of torque and power (contrary to, say, TH)
Playfulness: discussed and showed how the car is fun to drive
Human interaction and ergonomic: he talks about how the connection with the clutch and the gearbox is perfect.

Again, I’m not the target audience because I know all that… some believe a figure like him more than they would a figure like me, so maybe some will listen to him.

My point remains, though: while he (and I) are absolutely correct about this being the best car in the world, all one has to do is go drive one and figure out if it fits their needs. It’s not hard to do, and much easier (and less aggravating) than conjecturing about things we’ve never seen or done based on “part numbers” and “figures on a spec sheet”.

He doesn’t touch much on the intangible of looks, but I’ve driven by older M2s, and it just makes them look tame and weak in comparison. But this is very subjective.
Appreciate 5
aerobod3638.50
manuelf352.00
baj_baj182.50
      11-19-2023, 11:23 AM   #26
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Gotcha, I guess it’s dependent on who’s watching.
From my seat, I observed him speak about intangibles more so than tangibles. He didn’t talk about any particular “figure” precisely, to focus on the intangibles.

Weight: said an E30 would feel heavier
Suspension: said it’s controlled, and wheel control is like never seen before
Power: loads of torque and power (contrary to, say, TH)
Playfulness: discussed and showed how the car is fun to drive
Human interaction and ergonomic: he talks about how the connection with the clutch and the gearbox is perfect.

Again, I’m not the target audience because I know all that… some believe a figure like him more than they would a figure like me, so maybe some will listen to him.

My point remains, though: while he (and I) are absolutely correct about this being the best car in the world, all one has to do is go drive one and figure out if it fits their needs. It’s not hard to do, and much easier (and less aggravating) than conjecturing about things we’ve never seen or done based on “part numbers” and “figures on a spec sheet”.

He doesn’t touch much on the intangible of looks, but I’ve driven by older M2s, and it just makes them look tame and weak in comparison. But this is very subjective.
I sum it thusly: if you want a 1m, buy an f87; if you want an m4, buy a g87. If you cant tell the difference, buy an audi.

(Also, the ferarri f355 is actually the best car in the world)
eddj464.50
      11-19-2023, 11:27 AM   #27
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
I sum it thusly: if you want a 1m, buy an f87; if you want an m4, buy a g87. If you cant tell the difference, buy an audi.

(Also, the ferarri f355 is actually the best car in the world)
I don’t get it, but sure.
I didn’t know you have a F355, I meant no disrespect to your car.
Appreciate 1
ronin130131000.50
      11-19-2023, 12:18 PM   #28
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
To sum it up, and this applicable to pretty much all recent/modern BMW’s - you can’t drive a spec sheet, you need to actually drive and experience the car to get to any rational conclusion/opinion.
Appreciate 9
M2siast5918.00
DSTR1263.50
aerobod3638.50
///M TOWN18312.50
c1pher4674.50
KRS_SN13552.00
EthanEJC199.50
      11-19-2023, 12:27 PM   #29
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
"Analiser"

Gotta love Chris, no pulling punches with him.

I must disagree with him on one part though; this is the best car in the world FOR NOW

I'm looking forward to the CS
///M TOWN18312.50
      11-19-2023, 12:30 PM   #30
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.66]
If Harris likes it, you can simply buy the car and thank him later…

He’s not wrong about those nutcrackers❕
      11-19-2023, 12:44 PM   #31
sacowich
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6sp

Hopefully this will convince some contrarians to give this car a try.
I enjoy driving it more so then my manual comp F80. Only thing I miss is torque on highway in 6th gear at 80mph. Now I have to be less lazy and actually downshift, but that’s ok too.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 12:48 PM   #32
440i6MT
Brother
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i, soon E60 M5 Manual

The level of self-flatulation in this thread (& others) is biblical

It reeks of a "my team scored the winning touchdown haha" homerism. If one party (f-series) had been disparaging, it's serves no greater purpose to allow your ego to take over in an anaphylactic response of self-aggrandizing in response.

Appreciate the review, appreciate your great car, and be tacitly respectful
Appreciate 3
      11-19-2023, 12:48 PM   #33
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
The last time I watched a Chris Harris video on a road trip to Las Vegas it was his review of the G8X, which was not 100% favorable, but favorable for what mattered. Previously, I was on the fence on the G82, which I started out hating, but then coming around to it, and then buying one, in large part to Chris' positive review of what mattered to me.

Now, as I am considering what to replace the G82 with, CH releases this video... the day I am leaving for another Las Vegas road trip.

Coincidence... or kismet?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 6
///M TOWN18312.50
JG13224.50
BMR.WRLD265.50
KRS_SN13552.00
JTO245276.00
MT6722.00
      11-19-2023, 12:58 PM   #34
FryCookOnVenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 (Preorder), Toyota 4Runner

At 3:20, Harris mentions that "the seat isn't actually straight, it's offset." And if you watch the video, he seems to be sitting with his torso rotated towards the left.

Is this really the case??? And if so, is it true for the standard seats as well?

Can any owners confirm this? Seems like it would be rather unpleasant on the back for anything longer than a short trip.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 12:58 PM   #35
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440i6MT View Post
The level of self-flatulation in this thread (& others) is biblical

It reeks of a "my team scored the winning touchdown haha" homerism. If one party (f-series) had been disparaging, it's serves no greater purpose to allow your ego to take over in an anaphylactic response of self-aggrandizing in response.

Appreciate the review, appreciate your great car, and be tacitly respectful
Self-flatulation

Great coinage. Does it mean what I think it means? May we flatulate on you instead of on ourselves?
Appreciate 4
///M TOWN18312.50
ronin130131000.50
Scrapula2802.00
      11-19-2023, 01:02 PM   #36
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FryCookOnVenus View Post
At 3:20, Harris mentions that "the seat isn't actually straight, it's offset." And if you watch the video, he seems to be sitting with his torso rotated towards the left.

Is this really the case??? And if so, is it true for the standard seats as well?

Can any owners confirm this? Seems like it would be rather unpleasant on the back for anything longer than a short trip.
It’s an M2 “Feature”. It drove me nuts in my F87 but many other owners didn’t care or even notice. I ended up trading my M2 on an M4 a few years ago as I couldn’t stand it. (And I had 15K positive equity in the car)
      11-19-2023, 01:06 PM   #37
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryCookOnVenus View Post

This has got to be a right-hand drive problem, I've heard numerous reviews mention seat position and pedal location, and all were right-hand drive reviews.

(The F87 had this problem on both left and right drive, IIRC.)

For the G87, in left-hand drive cars, the seat is not offset, and the pedal box is great.

North America got the good end of the stick this generation, we get a cheaper car, a more sane options list, and better driver ergonomics. Canada even got the slicktop, lucky bastards.
Appreciate 4
apez649.50
baj_baj182.50
      11-19-2023, 01:09 PM   #38
JG13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E39 M5, G87 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
This has got to be a right-hand drive problem, I've heard numerous reviews mention seat position and pedal location, and all were right-hand drive reviews.

For the G87, in left-hand drive cars, the seat is not offset, and the pedal box is great.

North America got the good end of the stick this generation, we get a cheaper car, a more sane options list, and better driver ergonomics. Canada even got the slicktop, lucky bastards.
Yeah I have not noticed this issue in my LHD with carbon buckets and 6MT. I fit like a glove.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 01:11 PM   #39
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post

I wonder if the seat is actually angled a bit in LHD models, it was that way with the F87 too. I was incredibly uncomfortable for about the first 2 weeks with my G87, lots of knee and lower back discomfort.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 01:14 PM   #40
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

i now watched it and here's a summary

he likes the engine
he likes that it's manual
he likes the chassis and how he can drift it for days

he doesn't like anything else ("it's ok, get over it")
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 01:17 PM   #41
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
I wonder if the seat is actually angled a bit in LHD models, it was that way with the F87 too. I was incredibly uncomfortable for about the first 2 weeks with my G87, lots of knee and lower back discomfort.
I don't think so? It was one of the things I checked the first time I sat in one. If there's any lean, it's so slight as to be imperceptible.

I always get a bit of knee ache when switching daily drivers, no matter how "comfortable" it is. All I can say is that after driving a few thousand miles on an extended road trip, I found the ergonomics to be great.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN18312.50
      11-19-2023, 01:19 PM   #42
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Geighty7 this thread made front page a couple of hours ago.

Surmise as you will
Appreciate 1
Geighty71410.50
      11-19-2023, 01:36 PM   #43
yuzu
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

The shot at 8:02 where you can see the leaves collecting in the front radiator in real time has me crackin up
Appreciate 3
///M TOWN18312.50
Fastfwd217.50
      11-19-2023, 01:43 PM   #44
N55MUSA
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:

Solid points. I am warming to the new look of the M2. For some reason something about Chris seemed off in that review. Hence I couldn’t get into it. It seems like the review was trimmed at the end.
Appreciate 0