BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

03-12-2022, 04:22 PM   #1
///MML
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

My M240i prototype in full Brooklyn Gray

When the M240i was released there have been many conversations about the design. The M240i does have some nice design ques and some flaws but many of us are happy with it enough to put down $50k of our hard earned cash. The second part of design apart from the sheet metal is color. BMW left us with some negative space and an opportunity to create something new. I’m not sure why BMW does this but it seems to be a design theme across their car line-up at this time.

This is my prototype of the BG color redesign in the flesh beyond a Photoshop. I bought some gray crepe tape for $10 bucks and went to work. I’m no professional artist and this is crude but took me all of 20 minutes to do. My goal was to see how the design and my eye would react to a solid color pallet across the body lines. I see three redesign opportunities: 1) side skirts, 2) rear skirts, 3) front vent housing.

1. Side skirts – A real win. It lowers the car to the ground visually and provides more detail on the outkick lines to widen the perception which the black color is hiding.

2. Rear skirts – A win but less obvious. For the rear ¾ provides nice consistency, however, straight on it is less obvious and as rectangular exhaust creates some issues due to a squaring off effect. Dual round exhaust pipes would probably be much better look but we didn’t get those. Another add would be the OEM performance rear black spoiler to add some depth and color so all hope is not lost for an clearer improvement.

3. Front vent housing – A real win. The OEM design is just too big a negative space and this redesign shrinks it by ~20% to bring more color in and tie it in to the front end more proportionally. I only taped left one side per reason below.

The redesign made it more sophisticated yet subtle aggressive. I kept the right side OEM and was walking back and forth probably 10 times. I will likely move forward with a body shop to paint the side and rear skirts BG color. The front vent housing, however, is plastic so not sure how the color will match plus it is complicated removal with the whole front end piece. Maybe IND can create a over the top clip-on housing for same effect. If I was doing a full color vinyl wrap I would definitely do this piece as well.

Anyway, there you have it…and BMW if you want color design input from me for the M2 im me
Attached Images

harcos77.00
ReconRon160.50
M2Crew220.50
EXE462101.50
      03-12-2022, 06:50 PM   #2
harcos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 240i xdrive

Side skirts 100 OK with you
It does not shock (and even more beautiful), and much less maintenance worries
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 07:12 PM   #3
Cohenour
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw M240

I really like the side skirts. I wonder how that would look alone?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 07:50 PM   #4
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Side skirts and front are the way to go. The front really improved IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 08:59 PM   #5
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240 xDrive, BGM

Congratulations! You've designed a 230i!
Sorry for the sarcasm, I do appreciate your effort and it is a bit of a shame that those options are not available on the M240.
The 230 is available with a less aggressive front and rear, and body color rockers on the base trim and in certain colors ( PB and BGM bump you up to the sport trim with the black rockers).
I guess I'm trying to learn to accept my BGM 240 is not designed in the classic, elegant, understated way of my old Titanium Silver 335xi and is a more radical, youthful(?) style. And now I know why it is called "Brooklyn" gray, and not "Fairfield County" gray or "Cotswolds" gray. A more "in your face" gray, I have yet to find.
I'll bet your right that the new M2 will be more along the lines you suggest, giving the traditionalists something to lust after and hang over us poor 240 owners heads.
Again, I do applaud your effort. I do like the body colored rockers. It will be interesting to see how all the designs hold up over the test of time.
      03-13-2022, 12:33 AM   #6
///MML
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpirx View Post
Congratulations! You've designed a 230i!
Sorry for the sarcasm, I do appreciate your effort and it is a bit of a shame that those options are not available on the M240.
The 230 is available with a less aggressive front and rear, and body color rockers on the base trim and in certain colors ( PB and BGM bump you up to the sport trim with the black rockers).
I guess I'm trying to learn to accept my BGM 240 is not designed in the classic, elegant, understated way of my old Titanium Silver 335xi and is a more radical, youthful(?) style. And now I know why it is called "Brooklyn" gray, and not "Fairfield County" gray or "Cotswolds" gray. A more "in your face" gray, I have yet to find.
I'll bet your right that the new M2 will be more along the lines you suggest, giving the traditionalists something to lust after and hang over us poor 240 owners heads.
Again, I do applaud your effort. I do like the body colored rockers. It will be interesting to see how all the designs hold up over the test of time.
Haha, no worries..I love sarcasm. Ya the base 230 is similar in comparison but as soon as you add any performance options it goes black like the 240 like you mentioned..bummer as I think the black tones overall are a negative on design
      03-13-2022, 10:27 AM   #7
StickyPickle
Captain
Rep
Drives: NA

This is exactly why I decided to go with Black Sapphire Metallic on this car. I hate how BMW decided to make the side skirts glossy black to give the side profile a "raised" appearance. Also to blend in the front bumper triangle vents better.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 01:00 PM   #8
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

if I like the car enough, I will have those skirts painted in BG
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 06:18 PM   #9
joeyg4282
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i XDrive Sapphire

Excellent job man.....that is exactly the way I want them to do the Alpine White. Are you listening BMW?

I hate the maintenance of the Black Sapphire Metallic but I'd have to opt for it because I'm not a fan of the 2-tone effect.

2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew White
2014 BMW 435i XDrive M-Sport Sapphire Black
2008 BMW 135i Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0