BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications

10-30-2023, 01:39 PM   #23
cuiter23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2 6Spd

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [6.00]
I assume these controllers will not void warranty right?
[SOLD] 2007 E90 328i - Titanium Metallic l 19" VMR V710 l H&R Trak+ Spacers l M-Sport Rear Bumper l Mtech Rear Lip Spoiler l Hamann Front Lip l Eibach Sportline l AA N52 Signature Exhaust l OEM Blacklines l MTEC V3 AE l 6000K HID l Nokya 7000K Fogs l MTEC License Plate LED l Interior LED l 15% Tint l BlackVue DR380G-HD + PMP
2023 G87 M2 6Spd - HEA Package | OEM M Performance Carbon Wing
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 01:00 PM   #24
sammyj
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZG87 View Post
Keep in mind this is still not 100% open. This just keeps them open the sport+ (80%?) amount even when in comfort etc. You'd need to to the steel wire trick or have an after market option to have them fully open.
Wouldn't bimmerlink allow you to fully open the flap, or does "open" here only mean 80%?

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 01:15 PM   #25
sammyj
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadak View Post

My missus wont be super happy but thats the best thing about fuse, I can put it back on long trips super easily! no need to reinstall the valve control module (or rather, 2 of them) or get some controller.
I've been really considering the fuse based golf tee mod but remembered how embarassed my wife was when dropping our kid off at the Montessori in my car. I switched it to all to comfort and turned of M sound and instantly, she felt better. I might hold off on this for now
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 03:20 PM   #26
Boetie
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyj View Post
Wouldn't bimmerlink allow you to fully open the flap, or does "open" here only mean 80%?

I tried, and nope. Its not accepting the Open or Close options. Just jumps back to Auto every time.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 03:28 PM   #27
Boetie
Rep

Today I did the fuse pull trick, that keeps the flaps 80% open in any driving mode. No error codes, and the sound is perfect.

After driving around a bit, I then did the mod where you open it 100% and keep it in place with a wire. Honestly cant hear a difference.

If anyone else want to do this, rather just pull the fuse.

Must say, with the wire mod done, I now have a wooshing sound from the turbos that sounds cool.

I think those valves move constantly when stock standard, depending on throttle position. It will open and close as you drive even in Sport+ mode. That is my take on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 02:41 PM   #28
daveunleashed
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 G87

Video of Exhaust Flaps Opened Manually

I opened my exhaust flaps manually with the spacer method. Here's a how-to video:

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 10:33 AM   #29
HoffDesign
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I recently began offering this product as an option for opening the exhaust flaps. It provides a way to get the additional sound from opening the exhaust flaps and does not require any cutting/modification to the electrical or exhaust system. It’s completely removable/reversible in case you decide to return the OEM functionality. I am a forum sponsor and recently posted an intro in the sponsor classifieds.

www.hoffperformancedesign.com
Appreciate 2
Resoelg255.00
baj_baj182.50
      02-25-2024, 01:57 PM   #30
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Nice.. I don't know that I understand the value of the plate vs the fuse method though?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 10:05 AM   #31
daveunleashed
Registered
Rep

Supposedly the valves are only 80% open when controlled by the car so if you open them and pull the fuse they'll stay 80% open. If you physically open them you can open them 100%.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 11:51 AM   #32
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveunleashed View Post
Supposedly the valves are only 80% open when controlled by the car so if you open them and pull the fuse they'll stay 80% open. If you physically open them you can open them 100%.
+1

if you want the valves to always be open, doing it manually makes the most sense.

Cold start with the valves open might be too loud for many, also daily driving as not everyone prefers driving with the maximum volume all the time.

This is why controllers like the SST are so popular, offering the flexibility of opening and closing the vales, + fully opening the valves to 100%, compared to the 70% offered by the default settings.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 03:13 PM   #33
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
+1

if you want the valves to always be open, doing it manually makes the most sense.

Cold start with the valves open might be too loud for many, also daily driving as not everyone prefers driving with the maximum volume all the time.

This is why controllers like the SST are so popular, offering the flexibility of opening and closing the vales, + fully opening the valves to 100%, compared to the 70% offered by the default settings.

I have valves open at all times. I had my tuner turn off the cold start as it was extremely loud (even with valves closed), and was setting off car alarms in the parking garage at my work.

With the tune highflow Evolution downpipes and Valvetroniccatback, the natural burbles and pops with valves open can be reeeeally loud, especially at higher rpms. I wouldn't want to hear it with catless downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 05:40 PM   #34
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
I have valves open at all times. I had my tuner turn off the cold start as it was extremely loud (even with valves closed), and was setting off car alarms in the parking garage at my work.

With the tune highflow Evolution downpipes and Valvetroniccatback, the natural burbles and pops with valves open can be reeeeally loud, especially at higher rpms. I wouldn't want to hear it with catless downpipes.
i plan on doing catted downpipes + full catback exhaust, but I will have to turn off the cold start first

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 09:26 AM   #35
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Looked at my exhaust flaps after pulling the fuse. The driver's side appears to be open 100% (or close to, can't see any of the flap), but the passenger side is only open about 15-20%. Is that normal? I closed them, re-opened them several times with the same result.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 09:54 PM   #36
Resoelg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 ZV-Blue

Garage List
24 G87  [10.00]
Anyone have experience with the AWRON CAN BMW flap control PnP on G87. No need to cut and solder wires and keeps functionality of all OEM valve control switches. Open and close the exhaust flap at any time. One press of the exhaust valve button and the flap is operated independently of the sports mode.
Looking for a writeup on the install on M2 if anyone has done this. I have seen install on M3...wondering if similar.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2024, 10:41 AM   #37
Southtown
Private
Rep

Got my AA equal length installed yesterday. I was surprised how loud cold start was even with the valves closed this morning. Now I’m scared my neighbors will murder me if I add an axle back lol. No way I could get away with disabling the valves to stay open.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 11:27 AM   #38
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southtown View Post
Got my AA equal length installed yesterday. I was surprised how loud cold start was even with the valves closed this morning. Now I’m scared my neighbors will murder me if I add an axle back lol. No way I could get away with disabling the valves to stay open.
Most of the sound comes from the midpipe anyways, the axle-back sound difference on cold start is not that dramatic.

get the axle back and get ready to fight if it comes down to it

Appreciate 1
Southtown145.50
      03-24-2024, 02:01 AM   #39
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, 2018 Mustang GT traded in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southtown View Post
I find it still pretty quiet other than the slight valve rattle when they're closed during cold start with the AA EL. Pop them open and it's a different story. But I am also coming from a v8 Mustang with long tubes and full exhaust so maybe it's just relative. I always park backed in and start with the garage door shut from when I had that car which helped some so with the g87 there is 0 worry doing the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 11:52 AM   #40
WhiteRqbbit
Private First Class
Rep

Is there a controller that works like stock but just opens to 100% in M1/2? I like having the valves. I find a wireless controller kind of janky and want it to be closed always on startup unless I hit M1/2, but I figured someone had to have come up with some type of in-the-middle override module thingy?
      03-25-2024, 03:18 PM   #41
CadolinaRipr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRqbbit View Post
Is there a controller that works like stock but just opens to 100% in M1/2? I like having the valves. I find a wireless controller kind of janky and want it to be closed always on startup unless I hit M1/2, but I figured someone had to have come up with some type of in-the-middle override module thingy?
SST controller here. I used my garage door opener buttons, so no need for the remote. Not exactly what you are looking for but it's something.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 05:08 PM   #42
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
What you want is the AWRON:
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1991762

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadolinaRipr View Post
SST controller here. I used my garage door opener buttons, so no need for the remote. Not exactly what you are looking for but it's something.
I use the SST as well. It’s exactly what he doesn’t want because of the remote. And I understand him. If the AWRON was cheaper, it’s what I would’ve gone with. But these flap controllers don’t make much sense at a higher price given the little difference they make.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 07:09 PM   #43
WhiteRqbbit
Private First Class
Rep

So after watching some videos, seems like it really functions the same as the SST just uses the exhaust button on the center console - seems like going with the garage button would be cheaper and not much different.

Just talking out my A$$ but I'm familiar with controls for HVAC and such, lot of our actuators use a 0-10v ... 0 being closed for example and 5 being fully open. I figured maybe the signal to the valves is the same.. So if sport is 4 or sport+ is 7 it would just take that 4 or 7 and have it a 10... that way you get 100% open while still maintaining comfort mode and without hitting any extra buttons.
      03-25-2024, 07:34 PM   #44
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
So after watching some videos, seems like it really functions the same as the SST just uses the exhaust button on the center console - seems like going with the garage button would be cheaper and not much different.

Just talking out my A$$ but I'm familiar with controls for HVAC and such, lot of our actuators use a 0-10v ... 0 being closed for example and 5 being fully open. I figured maybe the signal to the valves is the same.. So if sport is 4 or sport+ is 7 it would just take that 4 or 7 and have it a 10... that way you get 100% open while still maintaining comfort mode and without hitting any extra buttons.
Pop open the the SST/Dalher kits, and you'll see they are nothing other than repackaged Arduino boards with generic remotes. You can see the breakdowns in this post: https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=179

Awron specializes in CAN/LIN technology, as their main focus is data acquisition and controls modules/harnesses/displays for BMW racing engine swaps.

Awron operates as a gateway device for the controller, intercepting commands, taking into effect engine parameters, and outputting a custom command/operation. EVC signals are intercepted and are controlled via factory CAN commands with additional safeties programmed in place to prevent issues (like valves not opening at all) from happening when you are using a 3rd party controller. The vehicle still does the work, still monitors, and still error checks if something is wrong. Circuit boards are professionally made in house (they have their own pick & place machine) and harnesses are professionally built with BMW/AMP connectors and harnesses matching factory wiring. You couldn't get a better kit if it wasn't offered by BMW themselves, which is a bit ironic to say as Awron was contracted to build the information displays for Alpina.

For Awron engineers, an EVC controller is a walk in the park in the overall scope for their daily tasks.
  • The Awron module is also flash-upgradable. Have an idea for a new feature? This can be included in a firmware update and flashed onto the module - making the kit future proof.
  • The Awron is a gateway module that uses optional profiles for opening and closing the valves. All communication is handed through the control module as it's fully integrated with CAN.
  • 2 profiles are available for the center console Sound Control Button (ASD), in both Open and Closed modes. You can program to hold the valves shut at low throttle and then open at a particular RPM or pedal position.
  • M1/M2 pushed together work as a "Panic feature". Press both for +3 seconds, the word TRIGGER will appear on the instrument cluster and close the valves.
  • Awron also has a build in safety feature that will open the valves past 60kph in case you forget to.
  • Completely invisible to diagnostic equipment. Module will enter bypass mode when scanner is plugged in
  • Professional automotive grade PCB, wiring (including colors) and connectors.
Why have adjustable exhaust profiles? For example, the new exhaust or midpipe has a bit of drone at a specific RPM range - you can now close the valves and effective "tune" out the drone if desired.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 2
M2siast5941.50