home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

02-09-2024, 09:36 PM   #1
ajm24x
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

PDC light not staying active - 24 M240i xDrive

2024 M240i xDrive

- My PDC button would stay active (light turned on and icon appear on dash) while driving and would detect when I would be parking at slow speeds (which would activate camera). I noticed today, that was not the case. Works in reverse, and if I click the PMC button it turns on but it will eventually turn off after back in driving and does not appear on dash.

- Any recommendations would be appreciated, appt in a few days. I looked for any physical damage on the sensors, couldn't spot anything.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 02:50 AM   #2
dy444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm24x View Post
2024 M240i xDrive

- My PDC button would stay active (light turned on and icon appear on dash) while driving and would detect when I would be parking at slow speeds (which would activate camera). I noticed today, that was not the case. Works in reverse, and if I click the PMC button it turns on but it will eventually turn off after back in driving and does not appear on dash.

- Any recommendations would be appreciated, appt in a few days. I looked for any physical damage on the sensors, couldn't spot anything.

Thanks
I may not be answering what you're asking but my experience is it will come on when you select reverse or when you press the button providing speed is under a threshold (somewhere around 22-25 ish mph). If you press the button above the speed threshold then it does nothing. If you press it below the speed threshold then it will come on until either the speed goes above the threshold or you press the button again to turn it off.
G42 M240i xDrive. Brooklyn Grey, 19" Bicolour Double-spoke style 893 M alloy wheels with performance tyres, Technology Plus Pack, M Adaptive Suspension, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound Audio System, Heated Steering Wheel, Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 11:23 AM   #3
ajm24x
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dy444 View Post
I may not be answering what you're asking but my experience is it will come on when you select reverse or when you press the button providing speed is under a threshold (somewhere around 22-25 ish mph). If you press the button above the speed threshold then it does nothing. If you press it below the speed threshold then it will come on until either the speed goes above the threshold or you press the button again to turn it off.
Thanks for your response! So It's been about two weeks since I owned the vehicle and I wouldn't actually have to click the button to turn it on, it would stay active and activate by itself even in drive going at slow speeds, parking on my driveway for example or in a parking spot in front of a business. The P light would stay on my dash and and the button light would be on. Yesterday it wasn't staying on only when I click it or go in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 11:17 AM   #4
Lohan
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i XDrive

This sounds like an issue I have had with my 2023 M240. Here's what is happening. On my Golf R I was used to the front parking assist letting me know when I got close to something - without me having to intervene. I got the parking assist with the BMW and expected the same or better. I expected the front camera view would come on as I got close to a curb, the back of my garage, any obstruction in front of the car as I was parking/maneuvering. And it did that for a time, then didn't, then it was intermittent, and now it essentially doesn't ever. When backing up, it's automatic, when driving forward I have to push the button on the consol to activate the parking assistant cameras. No one at my dealer seems to have a clue whether it is or isn't supposed to come on automatically when driving forward. Low priority for me, since I'm now used to pushing the button, but look forward to any clarity this thread might provide.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 01:00 PM   #5
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohan View Post
This sounds like an issue I have had with my 2023 M240. Here's what is happening. On my Golf R I was used to the front parking assist letting me know when I got close to something - without me having to intervene. I got the parking assist with the BMW and expected the same or better. I expected the front camera view would come on as I got close to a curb, the back of my garage, any obstruction in front of the car as I was parking/maneuvering. And it did that for a time, then didn't, then it was intermittent, and now it essentially doesn't ever. When backing up, it's automatic, when driving forward I have to push the button on the consol to activate the parking assistant cameras. No one at my dealer seems to have a clue whether it is or isn't supposed to come on automatically when driving forward. Low priority for me, since I'm now used to pushing the button, but look forward to any clarity this thread might provide.
Same experience for me. And also coming from a VW (MK7 GTI).

Also, the self parking assistants on my G42 are unecessarily complicated, and intermittent / unreliable. It rarely alerts of an open spot before I decide to just park it manually.

On the GTI the self parking had simple graphics showing the parking spot scanning / targeting. Text pop up instructions / next step reminders. It just worked.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 04:33 PM   #6
ajm24x
Rep

Thanks for your responses, I saw a post where someone did a reboot on their iDrive and that seemed to get it back working for them. Haven't tried this, but will confirm with dealer tomorrow. Have any of you tried a reboot?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 08:09 PM   #7
Lohan
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i XDrive

When I took it in for a recall a
last year I pointed the issue out to one of the Genius team. They spent about 15 minutes out in the car, said they rebooted the system among the other things they did, and it didn't have any impact. I rebooted the system once back in the middle of last year, and no change in behaviour from that either. Loved my 2017 Golf R. Solidest car I ever owned, and never had a single issue requiring an unscheduled trip to the dealer for maintenance. But the M240 is the quickest.
Appreciate 1
nype139.50
      02-11-2024, 08:35 PM   #8
Zyvin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Make sure you have it set to pdc automatic in the settings. Any time I get an over the air update, some settings go back to a default state.
Appreciate 1
nype139.50
      02-12-2024, 12:21 AM   #9
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyvin View Post
Make sure you have it set to pdc automatic in the settings. Any time I get an over the air update, some settings go back to a default state.
Ya seems the “hey bmw” gets reset and also the settings allowing remote start get reset, I’m sure there are other things.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 12:23 AM   #10
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohan View Post
When I took it in for a recall a
last year I pointed the issue out to one of the Genius team. They spent about 15 minutes out in the car, said they rebooted the system among the other things they did, and it didn't have any impact. I rebooted the system once back in the middle of last year, and no change in behaviour from that either. Loved my 2017 Golf R. Solidest car I ever owned, and never had a single issue requiring an unscheduled trip to the dealer for maintenance. But the M240 is the quickest.
Agree. I was stage 2 (ECU and TCU) on my GTI from new and sold it that way at around 100k KMs with zero issues / zero warranty claims along the way.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 10:04 PM   #11
ajm24x
Rep

Ah, that's unfortunate to hear. Its such a cool feature for it to turn on automatically! So I took it into a dealer today, they gave the keys back after an hour+ of waiting and said "yeah my guy tested it, and it was all working." I was like ughhh "are you sure, the front cameras come up and PDC icon/button activates?" he was like yeah. I'm like alright, I'll test it because I had to get back to work and it. I went to park up at work and home, didn't activate unless I hit the button. So either the mechanic/rep have no idea it works like that or they know its a known issue and don't want to deal with the headache?
Appreciate 0