E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Fuel system keeps priming

07-22-2024, 08:36 AM   #1
ram1boyz
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw E90 328i

Fuel system keeps priming

Hello everyone,

I’m having an issue where my fuel pumps keep priming. I’m assuming this is because the system is trying to pressurize itself, and there is a leak somewhere stopping it from doing so. Even if the car is completely off, I can hear the pump on and it will remain on until it completely drains the battery. I replaced the top hat of my fuel pump already but it’s still the same issue. I’m planning on smoke testing the fuel system through the EVAP line.

Has anyone had any similar issues before? Any tips on removing the gas tank if it comes down to that?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2024, 09:15 AM   #2
dmckmc
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i E60 (2008)

If the pump keeps running with key off it is still getting power. It's likely shorted to power/ground. I don't know if it is always powered and the computer grounds it or it is the opposite. Maybe someone with a wiring diagram and jump in to the thread.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2024, 03:29 PM   #3
dmckmc
Private
Rep

Does the car run/drive? Any check engine lights? I did a quick review and the fuel pump is controlled by the EKP (fuel control) module which is controlled by the DME. The CAS module also connects to the EKP. The CAS would send a wake up signal to the EKP to prime the fuel pump when the door is unlocked/opened or other. I do know if the DME detects a fault in the low pressure fuel sensor, the fuel pump is activated 100% duty cycle. Even then it should turn off when not powered. Sorry no answer just trying to help generate some discussion on the topic and potential solutions.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2024, 02:13 AM   #4
ram1boyz
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckmc View Post
Does the car run/drive? Any check engine lights? I did a quick review and the fuel pump is controlled by the EKP (fuel control) module which is controlled by the DME. The CAS module also connects to the EKP. The CAS would send a wake up signal to the EKP to prime the fuel pump when the door is unlocked/opened or other. I do know if the DME detects a fault in the low pressure fuel sensor, the fuel pump is activated 100% duty cycle. Even then it should turn off when not powered. Sorry no answer just trying to help generate some discussion on the topic and potential solutions.

The car does run and drive. I have been unplugging the battery everytime I shut the car off so it doesn’t drain from this priming issue.

I decided to smoke test the car to see if there were any leaks, and there was smoke coming out near the passanger side wheel well. I think this is just from the little evap canister there.

As far as codes go, the CAS had zero issues. I reset the system just to see if it would make a difference and no luck. I do have some codes for my FRM, but they’re all headlight related.

On a side note, I do have an aftermarket PFS fuel-pump. I checked all the additional wiring going to the battery and it seems fine. I was thinking maybe it’s not grounding off properly.

Do you think it is ok to drive in this condition if I just disconnect the battery when I turn off the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2024, 05:51 PM   #5
dmckmc
Private
Rep

I've replaced the fuel pump and filter on my N54 with OEM Bosch. I'm not familiar with the aftermarket pumps and set ups. Anything aftermarket installed would be worth revisiting especially if it required some fab or rewire.
Appreciate 0