E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Downpipe "Refresh"

10-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
highrollindreamz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Downpipe "Refresh"

Hey guys..been a while since ive been on here but had a question about my downpipe.its one of the orginal ecotune pipes with the vaccum and def injection connections.im currently wanting to sell the car as is (original ecotune tune and downpipe) but also kicking around the idea of getting it retuned by JR/AArodriguez and was wondering at minimum what connections are needed on the downpipe to bring it up to par if i were to get it retuned.im pretty sure the vaccum lines can go and obviously the def injection port but didnt know of any others.i honestly dont remember how many are even on it up near the turbo.im thinkn 3 which is also what the newer downpipes look lik they have. Also, know anybody that could bring it up to spec /do the welding if i get it retuned? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrollindreamz View Post
Hey guys..been a while since ive been on here but had a question about my downpipe.its one of the orginal ecotune pipes with the vaccum and def injection connections.im currently wanting to sell the car as is (original ecotune tune and downpipe) but also kicking around the idea of getting it retuned by JR/AArodriguez and was wondering at minimum what connections are needed on the downpipe to bring it up to par if i were to get it retuned.im pretty sure the vaccum lines can go and obviously the def injection port but didnt know of any others.i honestly dont remember how many are even on it up near the turbo.im thinkn 3 which is also what the newer downpipes look lik they have. Also, know anybody that could bring it up to spec /do the welding if i get it retuned? Thanks in advance
If you are on the M57 facebook page, PM Matt Whitbread. He can get rid of any of the unnecessary bungs for you. I am very happy with my tune from Andrew/JR. Only the top two connections/bungs (egt and o2) are needed on the latest race tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
highrollindreamz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok.good info.i thought i read that somewhere about only 2 connections but never could find where i read it
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

As I've told others, it probably isn't in your best interest to "fix" the car. You'll spend more doing that than you'll be able to charge. Let the new owner take care of getting their preferred tune/downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
highrollindreamz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thats what i would prefer to do for sure but it seems not many people interested in the car or im just being anxious maybe
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

This might be one of those where a little cost I vested might be a good thing. The Ecotune tune was a mess. Converting it to a JR2 race would be more or less equivalent but with all the mess taken care of. The ports on the Ecotune pipe can be plugged and be plenty good. That is with exception to those 2 pressure differential tubes. They are a tine bomb waiting to happen. Have those cut off and welded over. I just use the mixer valve as a plug for the def injector without the def liquid line hooked to it and also the electric harness disconnected. It's not elegant but functional. I wrote something explaining the threading sizes to plug the EGT m12x1.25 and the NOX sensor M20x forgot pitch but thread has it. I will go hunt for this and add link. I personally wouldn't want a ecoturd err Ecotuned DDE to get out to our brethren. That damn thing is still functioning the EGR unless Stan finally got that fixed. Stepping off soap box.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 12:40 AM   #7
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

As I’ve mentioned to you before. If you are selling, bring it back to stock and be done. If you are keeping it then fix the Ecotune mess and enjoy. It saddens me to still see anyone running that unfortunate experience a few of us had to go through. It taught us a lot bit also cost us a lot of money and some damage to our cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 03:36 AM   #8
highrollindreamz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
This might be one of those where a little cost I vested might be a good thing. The Ecotune tune was a mess. Converting it to a JR2 race would be more or less equivalent but with all the mess taken care of. The ports on the Ecotune pipe can be plugged and be plenty good. That is with exception to those 2 pressure differential tubes. They are a tine bomb waiting to happen. Have those cut off and welded over. I just use the mixer valve as a plug for the def injector without the def liquid line hooked to it and also the electric harness disconnected. It's not elegant but functional. I wrote something explaining the threading sizes to plug the EGT m12x1.25 and the NOX sensor M20x forgot pitch but thread has it. I will go hunt for this and add link. I personally wouldn't want a ecoturd err Ecotuned DDE to get out to our brethren. That damn thing is still functioning the EGR unless Stan finally got that fixed. Stepping off soap box.
Yea i second the crappiness of the finished product from them. Yea i remember something about the egr valve and it still functioning somewhat.took mine off.haha.i basically dont wanna even mess with it but the writing may be on the wall if i cant sell it soon.hell it might not sell after i was to do the new tune. I waa thinkn the same on the def inector.just leave it in place if nothing else for blockage.technically i guess i could leave everything connected acting as plugs but like you said ill have to remove the pressure tubes.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 03:40 AM   #9
highrollindreamz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
As I’ve mentioned to you before. If you are selling, bring it back to stock and be done. If you are keeping it then fix the Ecotune mess and enjoy. It saddens me to still see anyone running that unfortunate experience a few of us had to go through. It taught us a lot bit also cost us a lot of money and some damage to our cars.
Yozh are you the same person gave me all the info on facebook? I think im too far gone on returning back to stock without buying parts..egr valve is jacked.dpf is pita to install..i be better off getting retuned money wise. i would think somebody would buy this thing and it tuned.i know the diesel trucks are all the rave so maybe somebody will buy eventually
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 07:16 AM   #10
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

I have everything needed to go back to stock. If you're interested, send me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrollindreamz View Post
Yea i second the crappiness of the finished product from them. Yea i remember something about the egr valve and it still functioning somewhat.took mine off.haha.i basically dont wanna even mess with it but the writing may be on the wall if i cant sell it soon.hell it might not sell after i was to do the new tune. I waa thinkn the same on the def inector.just leave it in place if nothing else for blockage.technically i guess i could leave everything connected acting as plugs but like you said ill have to remove the pressure tubes.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 07:39 AM   #11
highrollindreamz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dsleeper View Post
I have everything needed to go back to stock. If you're interested, send me a PM.
Got it.if i decide to go that route i will hit you up.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 07:41 AM   #12
highrollindreamz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

One more question, can i weld up the pressure tubes with the ecotune tune still on it? Or will i need to get retuned prior to doing that.thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 12:53 PM   #13
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

An easy way to find out would be to pull the black hoses off and put a u shaped tube on it temporarily. You have no pressure differential in that pipe anyway. My opinion is it should be fine but this is a way to check before removing the pipe. Make sure the u pipe is on good or you will burn up stuff near the tubes coming off ecotune pipe.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 01:32 PM   #14
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
An easy way to find out would be to pull the black hoses off and put a u shaped tube on it temporarily. You have no pressure differential in that pipe anyway. My opinion is it should be fine but this is a way to check before removing the pipe. Make sure the u pipe is on good or you will burn up stuff near the tubes coming off ecotune pipe.
You are correct. I ran like that for a long time. Didn't cause any problems. I'm actually still running that first Ecotune downpipe, it's just been modified a lot.
      10-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #15
highrollindreamz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good point.didnt think of that..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #16
highrollindreamz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
You are correct. I ran like that for a long time. Didn't cause any problems. I'm actually still running that first Ecotune downpipe, it's just been modified a lot.
Sounds good.thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #17
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
I'd also like to add having sold modified cars....

Spending the money to fix or replace the downpipe and switch to JR will not increase the resale value more than the cost of doing the switch. Rarely if ever do mods increase resale value and more often decrease the value (especially visual mods).

So I would not bother to waste your money unless you plan to keep the car. Sell it stock or as is for best recapture of your money.

I had a heavily performance modified car that I sold modded and none of the mods increased resale value. In fact a lot of dealers were afraid to take the car becasue it had been modded. Fortunately all of my mods were done by APR themselves and had a warranty so I was able to get some dealers to bite.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #18
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
I'd also like to add having sold modified cars....

Spending the money to fix or replace the downpipe and switch to JR will not increase the resale value more than the cost of doing the switch. Rarely if ever do mods increase resale value and more often decrease the value (especially visual mods).

So I would not bother to waste your money unless you plan to keep the car. Sell it stock or as is for best recapture of your money.

I had a heavily performance modified car that I sold modded and none of the mods increased resale value. In fact a lot of dealers were afraid to take the car becasue it had been modded. Fortunately all of my mods were done by APR themselves and had a warranty so I was able to get some dealers to bite.
I generally agree with all that you stated. I had offered an opinion counter to this with the well known problems coming from that Ecotune tune. For him to sell it here to one of us, the tune would need to be corrected either by he or the buyer. He also mentioned about driving for 3 years with SES on. Having the SES on won't make it any easier to sell. I was just showing him what his fellow "first 10" brethren did to get to a much better state of running. Good luck OP.

Castle, APR=?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #19
highrollindreamz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I generally agree with all that you stated. I had offered an opinion counter to this with the well known problems coming from that Ecotune tune. For him to sell it here to one of us, the tune would need to be corrected either by he or the buyer. He also mentioned about driving for 3 years with SES on. Having the SES on won't make it any easier to sell. I was just showing him what his fellow "first 10" brethren did to get to a much better state of running. Good luck OP.

Castle, APR=?
I concur its not gonna get me any more back on the car in "updating" it. Thats why i wish someone who had a new passion for these cars would take it and do what it needs. Like i said before who am i to say it would sell even after the ses lights go away.i feel like it scares people to see it on. Im gonna tey to keep sellin it but if it doesnt after a timeframe ive yet to come up with yet, ill probably just get it retuned and keep drivin it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #20
NadirPoint
Rep

I consider my tuned/deleted 335D to be basically worthless on the market. I don't recommend anyone doing the emissions deletes-type stuff on any car they do not intend to keep forever. Mine will simply become a trailer-queen track-only car if they ever institute emissions testing in my area.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 05:47 PM   #21
highrollindreamz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadirPoint View Post
I consider my tuned/deleted 335D to be basically worthless on the market. I don't recommend anyone doing the emissions deletes-type stuff on any car they do not intend to keep forever. Mine will simply become a trailer-queen track-only car if they ever institute emissions testing in my area.
Beginning to think that myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 07:22 AM   #22
PhotoGuy87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 11 M-Sport 335d, 11 E91 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadirPoint View Post
I see your point but being in the diesel world for a long time, I would have to disagree that a deleted vehicle is worthless. If anyone is looking to buy a 335d then they probably already know the emissions problems, so buying a deleted one should be seen as a benefit. Not only will they not have to put out the money to have the deletes done but the car is more reliable and fuel efficient.

Similar situation in the diesel truck community, buyers are more likely to buy a deleted truck before a stock one because it's one less headache and expense to deal with.
Appreciate 0