E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is this how a TIAL BOV is supposed to sound? It just doesn't seem "right" to me.

09-28-2024, 12:53 PM   #1
n54335i02121997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i, Acura RSX type S

Is this how a TIAL BOV is supposed to sound? It just doesn't seem "right" to me.

To preface: Directly tapped manifold with 1/4" nipple, no adapters, automotive grade vacuum line that's cut to a good length. Banjo bolt in the BOV is aligned properly, O ring is installed under the BOV. Currently using the 10# spring that was preinstalled by TIAL.

When I first installed the CP/BOV I just used an 1/8" to 1/4" adapter, and it did the same thing.

Sounds like a pant (such as on a cold day, you're trying to warm your hands up by exhaling on them, similar sound), and then immediately followed by a quiet, crisp "whoosh". I don't know if that pant is compressor surge, but I thought that was more of a fluttering noise.

It sounds nothing like the videos I've seen online. The pant noise is louder than the whoosh. I've contacted TIAL, everything is set up the way they show.

So... I guess my question is... Is that what it's supposed to sound like? This is my first turbo car, first time ever installing a BOV of course. The whoosh is quieter than my $2 diverter valve mod.

I just don't want to damage my turbos. I went on a road trip last night so wasn't really hitting boost, but I brought the old charge pipe in case something is not right and I need to throw it back on.

Thanks all. I should have just gone with HKS but I didn't want anything obnoxious. I might return the TIAL and get a Turbosmart instead since I am still within the return window. Bought it as a bundle so that may not work.

Some more information, at low boost, like very low, all I hear is the pant. At mid and high boost it's the pant and almost immediately followed by the crisp whoosh.

I can take a video in case no one is sure what I'm talking about.
Appreciate 0