Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_U_D View Post

From the same article, the last sentence, " On that note, here's hope the all-new M2 drives much better than it looks."
I couldn't get past "The rear definitely is the most atrocious part of the Mexico-built sports coupe. BMW has – quite possibly – used a baboon's butt as inspiration for that bumper. The gloss-black diffuser with angular cutouts for the quad-piped exhaust is ghastly at best, and the reflectors on the swollen bits of the bumper are downright hideous."

I feel sorry for the Mexican manufacturing team. They, after all, build to spec whatever Munich designs for them.
Oh c'mon, what did baboons ever do to you to have you so displeased with them? I thinks baboon's have a perfectly proportionate back-end 😂😂
///M TOWN18309.50
      09-27-2022, 03:08 AM   #860
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Deep View Post
That's exactly what BMW is looking for and customers have asked for. We already heard these statements from various BMW interviews when the G8x was launched.

Customers complained that M cars look to similar to their non-M variants, and that they want more differentiation.
Yet BMW is adding M badges in the grilles and M mirrors to M perf. models.
The chronology of ///Madness perhaps:

M440 => Almost Sporty
M4 => Sporty
M4CSL => Real Sporty

Do I have it right?
///M TOWN18309.50
      09-27-2022, 04:48 AM   #861
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Took a break from Rennlist to comeback and say the rear of the new M2 looks like a moderately powerful Pokémon, that is all,

good day to you all.
Appreciate 6
///M TOWN18309.50
blkbtyM2C177.00
F87EVO4036.00
jordan24c128.00
      09-27-2022, 07:07 AM   #862
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
I really hope the G87 LCI picks up more of the design of Jose's original sketches
In these sketches, you can clearly see the new 240i's bolder design cues, developed further both at the front and rear of vehicle. Too bad Jose Casas and team didn't or couldn't go in this direction. The leaked car photos look nothing like these concept schematics.
Agreed

These L shaped taillights will hopefully be an LCI change
like the gt3 like center exhaust

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN18309.50
      09-27-2022, 09:48 AM   #863
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Why not wait for the official launch before forming such strong opinions?
So typical forum complaints before thinking. Why I spend much less time on them or listen to YouTube influencer 'mal-informed' opinions as well.

Best strategy is to research in peace, test what you find interesting and buy and drive what you like no matter what a 'forum' remotely thinks.

Some of my best cars were bought in the face of advice by online idiots and car friends lol. Read less, drive more and enjoy life. Its you behind the wheel at all times and no others.
Appreciate 3
Game7422.00
Red_sir133.00
      09-27-2022, 09:52 AM   #864
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
The chronology of ///Madness perhaps:

M440 => Almost Sporty
M4 => Sporty
M4CSL => Real Sporty

Do I have it right?
I'd say:

M440: What we think of as a traditional Mercedes
M4: What we used to think of a series BMW
M4CSL: What we used to think of as a standard BMW M

So, yea, you're about spot on!
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4036.00
      09-27-2022, 09:57 AM   #865
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Like the M6 on the right?

I don't believe dual projects would work well on this body style, as there isn't enough real estate to comfortably accommodate dual beams/DRL without it appearing bloby.. They would be too close to each other, without almost no diffusion. Also, cost-cutting wise, the LCI 2 Series will more than likely end up with similar looking headlights just with the DRL inverted.

BMW is phasing out the laser light option in exchange for an advance matrix setup. So there will be a base adaptive version or upper-tier matrix lights and I sincerely doubt the lowly 2 Series will get such a costly technological options. So this specific adaptive LED design, more or less, is here to stay.

As far the taillights go, BMW has to keep up with US regulations on the photometric size requirement for the brake light and turn signals, so they could only stray so far from the current design with the already limited illuminated surface area, so I wouldn't expect much of a change there either.
This doesn't look better than the single lens to you?

Appreciate 1
      09-27-2022, 10:12 AM   #866
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
donm527

Not my best work, but you get the idea.
Grills a little narrower with paint in between and then tighten up the headlights a bit and this is really nice!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 10:15 AM   #867
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8SEVEN View Post
Grills a little narrower with paint in between and then tighten up the headlights a bit and this is really nice!
Yeah, was a quick PS that I made. Can easily be made to look a lot better. But you can see how much more aggressive and wider the car looks.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 10:15 AM   #868
AlpineBoost
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 Civic Type R

Garage List
Quote:
donm527

Not my best work, but you get the idea.
Your edit looks better to me, way less derpy, but in all fairness these marketing photos make the G42 look like it has double lazy eyes or something. It looks better in real life but I just can't get over that front bumper.
Appreciate 1
Tag18282.50
      09-27-2022, 10:21 AM   #869
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
It has happened on several models in past with both headlights and taillights.

Most recent was the E90, inner portion of tail lights required a new trunk.

I remember pre-LCI M3 owners buying new trunks to upgrade to LCI tail lights.
But really, 3er is a different league in terms of ROI. Unless they would do it for the regular 2er as well, but still, those coupes are more of niche product these days and I don't see how they would get this past the bean counters. And M can't just march ahead and do whatever they want I guess, they'd need to have the GmbH on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
To give more hope(although not tail lights).

The more recent LCI change to G20 headlight shape.
That one only required redesigning the headlights, and not stamping new body steel panels (the front/rear bumpers are tacked on plastic and easily changed, hence LCI changes there).
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 11:50 AM   #870
Autobahn SoCal
Performance Driving Coach
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 (G87)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixm3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenssmart View Post
why would you give up your deposit?

at worst you get delivery drive it for a couple months if you really don't like it then you sell it for more than you bought it for LOL

do you realize how hard it is to get an allocation for these?
It's probably going to get a lot easier to get an allocation if final production looks like this.
Definitely. Everyone will keep their M240i. Looks way better and basically similar performance.

https://www.youtube.com/autobahnsocal
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 11:51 AM   #871
Autobahn SoCal
Performance Driving Coach
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 (G87)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I don't believe dual projects would work well on this body style, as there isn't enough real estate to comfortably accommodate dual beams/DRL without it appearing bloby.. They would be too close to each other, without almost no diffusion. Also, cost-cutting wise, the LCI 2 Series will more than likely end up with similar looking headlights just with the DRL inverted.

BMW is phasing out the laser light option in exchange for an advance matrix setup. So there will be a base adaptive version or upper-tier matrix lights and I sincerely doubt the lowly 2 Series will get such a costly technological options. So this specific adaptive LED design, more or less, is here to stay.

As far the taillights go, BMW has to keep up with US regulations on the photometric size requirement for the brake light and turn signals, so they could only stray so far from the current design with the already limited illuminated surface area, so I wouldn't expect much of a change there either.

M5 looks 😎

https://www.youtube.com/autobahnsocal
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 12:02 PM   #872
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn SoCal View Post
Definitely. Everyone will keep their M240i. Looks way better and basically similar performance.
Very few people are going from an M240 to an M2. So that line will only get longer, not smaller (obviously barring the final look of the car).

Similar performance? Apples to oranges. An M340 is not an M3.
      09-27-2022, 01:33 PM   #873
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

[IMG]https://g42.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1664236882[/IMG]
That's much easier and cheaper to accomplish on Photoshop, without consideration for actual size or cost.. But the fact is, you're dreaming if you believe this headlight design will morph into dual beams for the LCI. They are going to remain very much similar for its model run, you can set your watch to that..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 01:36 PM   #874
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
That's much easier and cheaper to accomplish that on Photoshop, without consideration for actual size or cost.. But the fact is, you're dreaming if you believe this headlight design will morph into dual beams for the LCI. They are going to remain very much similar, you can set your watch to that..
Never had any false sense of expectation that it would get dual projectors, thought I was fairly clear about that in my previous comments. Development costs aside, I was simply pointing out that it would look better.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2022, 01:46 PM   #875
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn SoCal View Post
I made this mistake once. Went from a 2002 M3 to a brand new 2013 335iS (one step up from the M-Sport). I thought I was a genius. That lasted about a month, until I realized that I'd made a terrible mistake. Great car, but definitely NOT an M Car. Got on the list, and got back to an M3 as fast as I could. There's a lot more to Ms than just 0-60 times.

I've driven a couple of the new M240is, and they are really good cars. But my F87 is better, and the G87 will eclipse the performance of the F87. Meaning that the M240i will still be a good car, but it will never be an M.
Appreciate 6
T_U_D6685.50
Tag18282.50
ronin130131000.50
Sedan_Clan25144.00
      09-27-2022, 01:53 PM   #876
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
That's much easier and cheaper to accomplish that on Photoshop, without consideration for actual size or cost.. But the fact is, you're dreaming if you believe this headlight design will morph into dual beams for the LCI. They are going to remain very much similar, you can set your watch to that..
Never had any false sense of expectation that it would get dual projectors, thought I was fairly clear about that in my previous comments. Development costs aside, I was simply pointing out that it would look better.
Got you..Previous comment aside, you now linked an altered photo with no context, so was just retorting that a Photoshop image doesn't support any legitimate argument. It's a person's perspective without many constrains outside of actual realization.

The 3 Series is BMW's bread-and-butter, non-SVU model, they'll be ok with throwing money at it for the LCI and drastically revamping its front end, they even extended its run for another two years..

The 2 Series/ M2 is a niche model, they have to recover the cost of investment. I can't see them giving it the same costly LCI love on what they perceive is an entry level model.

I look forward to being proved wrong in four years but knowing how BMW gets down, I wouldn't exactly hold my breath..
Appreciate 1
T_U_D6685.50
      09-27-2022, 01:56 PM   #877
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Got you..Previous comment aside, you now linked an altered photo with no context, so was just retorting that a Photoshop image doesn't support any legitimate argument. It's a person's perspective without many constrains outside of actual realization.

The 3 Series is BMW's bread and butter non-SVU model, they'll be ok with throwing money at it for the LCI and drastically revamping its front end, they even extended its run for another two years..

The 2 Series/ M2 is a niche model, they have to recover the cost of investment. I can't see them give it the same costly LCI love on what they perceive is an entry level model.

I look forward to being proved wrong in four years but knowing how BMW gets down, I wouldn't exactly hold my breath..
My bad P Dawg, thought you had seen the previous comments, think we're saying the same thing. Agree with your overall sentiment. Just one thing to mention, the 2 Series LCI is April 2025.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
      09-27-2022, 02:06 PM   #878
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

Quote:
The 2 Series/ M2 is a niche model, they have to recover the cost of investment. I can't see them giving it the same costly LCI love on what they perceive is an entry level model.

Agreed.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      09-27-2022, 02:13 PM   #879
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PDX View Post
I made this mistake once. Went from a 2002 M3 to a brand new 2013 335iS (one step up from the M-Sport). I thought I was a genius. That lasted about a month, until I realized that I'd made a terrible mistake. Great car, but definitely NOT an M Car. Got on the list, and got back to an M3 as fast as I could. There's a lot more to Ms than just 0-60 times.

I've driven a couple of the new M240is, and they are really good cars. But my F87 is better, and the G87 will eclipse the performance of the F87. Meaning that the M240i will still be a good car, but it will never be an M.
Had the 335is before I got the F87 and wasn't fully content with it until I put on coilovers, lighter wheels with better tires, extra bracing, tune, etc. It was a great car for what it was, but never had any delusions about it being as good as an M.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 02:49 PM   #880
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

So many different design styles going on at BMW.
Appreciate 0