01-14-2022, 07:06 AM   #1
mburg
MBurg
Rep
Drives: '22 230

Adaptive driving beam headlights

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
An article in today's NY Times describes these headlights, which become legal in the US under the infrastructure bill. They mention that for some European manufacturers, the hardware is there on US cars, only requiring a software update to activate. I wonder if this is so on the G42?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 07:24 AM   #2
e36uulm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, G42

Maybe, maybe not. This is an older article (Aug 2017) but it is instructive.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ld-headlights/
But it's not that simple, unfortunately. Corresponding with BMW USA, I realized that I may have been an annoyance to other drivers despite not getting any flashing feedback. That's not something I'm especially proud of. "There are two primary reasons why U.S-spec vehicles are decoded for no-dazzle high beams and variable light distribution," said BMW North America spokesperson, Hector Arellano-Belloc. "First, 'adaptive driving beams' (the industry-standard term for the Euro features) are prohibited under FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) 108," said Arellano-Belloc. "There is currently a petition for rule makers to try to get these systems allowed but there's no timeline available on whether it will be approved or not. The second reason these systems are decoded in the U.S. is because the U.S. requires a different beam pattern for headlights than in Europe. This means that the physical hardware (bulbs, reflectors, lenses, etc.) are different for headlamps in Europe and the U.S." The latter reason explains why I may have been blinding other drivers after coding the Euro features despite the trick electronics. As soon as I received Arellano-Belloc's reply, I returned the M2 back to the stock U.S. headlight setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 07:27 AM   #3
beamer-dreamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i, Volvo V60 XC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburg View Post
An article in today's NY Times describes these headlights, which become legal in the US under the infrastructure bill. They mention that for some European manufacturers, the hardware is there on US cars, only requiring a software update to activate. I wonder if this is so on the G42?
M240i's being built now have "Decoding for no-dazzle hgh bm" listed, and according to other threads in the forum, it is possible to modify the software to re-enable.

I'm hoping if the law is changed, perhaps the dealer can do this easily
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 10:36 AM   #4
mburg
MBurg
Rep
Drives: '22 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer-dreamer View Post
M240i's being built now have "Decoding for no-dazzle hgh bm" listed, and according to other threads in the forum, it is possible to modify the software to re-enable.

I'm hoping if the law is changed, perhaps the dealer can do this easily
Can you direct me/us to the other threads?

The law is changing in the US as part of the infrastructure bill that was passed. In 2 years the new law goes into effect.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 10:41 AM   #5
beamer-dreamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i, Volvo V60 XC

if you read through this thread you can see the comments about people bypassing the coding to enable this...

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1599533
Appreciate 0