E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > BMW Active Protection

01-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

BMW Active Protection

Can anyone decode into English this blurb about the "Active Protection" on the new F30 3-series for me?

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...ction.html#t=l

"A finely tuned system of suspension, engine management, brakes and tyres combined with an array of electronic measuring devices – all with one single objective: to keep the BMW 3 Series Sedan safely on track in the most demanding situations. Because giving the driver maximum control means ensuring maximum safety.

Active Protection is enabled shortly after the vehicle sets off – above a speed of 18 km/h – and automatically tightens the seat belt slightly. If a critical driving situation arises, the tension of the front seat belts is reversibly increased while the side windows and sunroof are closed. Active Protection detects the threat of a collision via the front camera or front radar, by all-out braking initiated by the driver or if the vehicle shows strong signs of understeering or oversteering.

If a crash was unavoidable, the system applies the vehicle’s brakes automatically and brings it to a standstill, without the driver needing to act. This reduces – or in an ideal case completely rules out– the probability of secondary of follow-on collisions and their consequences."

Mercedes has a system where it knows if the car is going to crash into something and applies the brakes even without driver intervention. This blurb reads like the new BMW system does the same, but then it goes on to talk about "secondary" collisons.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

'If a crash was unavoidable' means 'after you have had a crash' in real speak.

So it seem to mean after a crash (i.e. airbags deployed?) the car puts the brakes on to stop the vehilce rolling, or if you are unable to brake yourself stops you going on to hit other things.

This actually sounds like a great idea, i remember when I hit a broken down stationary car at 70mph on the A500 in 1993, the maestro van I was in spun round and round so hard I was unable to brake (or see or do anything for that matter) and the car hit all sorts of other things, barriers, fences, before rolling to a halt some 100 yards up the road.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
'If a crash was unavoidable' means 'after you have had a crash' in real speak.
I'd say it means that the camera/radar does a quick calculation, thinks 'He's never going to miss that' and slams the anchors on while tightening everything up. I believe like the Mercedes, Honda etc systems.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

The past tense, ....crash was unavoidable..... seems to indicate a crash has happened.

Then the fact it only talks about avoiding secondary collisions (presumably as the primary collision has already happened).

Not clear though...
Appreciate 0