BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Wheels / Tires

03-16-2024, 06:39 AM   #1
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Puncture!

Went to use the 230ix yesterday afternoon and got in the car and spotted a low tire pressure warning. Left rear down to 25psi from the 40psi called for. Other tires were at the recommended pressure.

Thought it might be a bad sensor so got out. Tire looked ok. But kicked the sidewall. Yep. Low.

Called dealer service department. My SA took down the tire info and after a bit told me there were 4 tires in stock. I claimed one. Said I'd be there as soon as I could.

Just one tire. Tire wear (miles: 3259) not enough to require both tires be replaced to avoid too much tire tread depth between the old tire and the new tire.

Run flat tires but I didn't want to drive the 5 miles to the dealer on that low of a tire if I could avoid it.

No tire repair kit in the car. I have a bottle of tire sealant but decided against using it.

Grabbed portable air compressor and managed to get the tire to 36psi. Wanted 40psi but the compressor just wasn't up to it. (Does inflate my bike tires to ~90psi though...)

Headed to dealer. Of course encountered traffic. Long story short the tire pressure was down to 31psi by the time I rolled up to the service department.

New tire on in around 30 minutes.

Oh, cost: $396.65.

Been a spate of tire issues with my BMWs. One of the M2 rear tires got a puncture at 1636 miles. Slow leak was the symptom. Tire repaired at dealer. Then at 3216 miles had the car in again for the other rear tire. Got a puncture with a slow leak. It was repaired too.

Hopefully the 230ix is done with this tire puncture business.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 08:20 AM   #2
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
You did everything right, assuming it couldn’t be plugged. I’ve had them plug run flats before - it can be done. Discount tire does it for free. Have utilized this service 3 times over the past few years.

This happened to me a few weeks ago but in more dramatic fashion. Was heading for a drive in the mountains and after breakfast the tire I had previously plugged was completely flat - a bolt had penetrated the tire near the edge. Not repairable. The mobile compressor worked to get me home, as it was Sunday so the dealership wasn’t open. Had to wait a few days for them to get the right tire and an appt slot.

Thankfully had the wheel and tire protection which saved $600. Hasn’t paid for itself, though… yet. Do need to repair a wheel next time I’m in for service.

The one annoyance was the service dept put on the wrong tire, so had to leave it for another few hours for them to fetch another tire from the warehouse. Parts doesn’t understand the difference between OEM star and regular PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 09:48 AM   #3
speed817
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

I just had to get a tired replaced yesterday too. Hit a pothole coming home from dinner the other night. Luckily no wheel damage. $402 at BMW of Grapevine which was cheaper than going to Discount Tire and they were able to get the tire in the same day I called.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 11:17 AM   #4
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
You did everything right, assuming it couldn’t be plugged. I’ve had them plug run flats before - it can be done. Discount tire does it for free. Have utilized this service 3 times over the past few years.

This happened to me a few weeks ago but in more dramatic fashion. Was heading for a drive in the mountains and after breakfast the tire I had previously plugged was completely flat - a bolt had penetrated the tire near the edge. Not repairable. The mobile compressor worked to get me home, as it was Sunday so the dealership wasn’t open. Had to wait a few days for them to get the right tire and an appt slot.

Thankfully had the wheel and tire protection which saved $600. Hasn’t paid for itself, though… yet. Do need to repair a wheel next time I’m in for service.

The one annoyance was the service dept put on the wrong tire, so had to leave it for another few hours for them to fetch another tire from the warehouse. Parts doesn’t understand the difference between OEM star and regular PS4S.
SA told me run flats aren't repaired. This even though I didn't drive the tire flat.

However, this is the same SA who when I had the M2 in (2 separate times) showed no hesitation and expedited having a tech repair one of the rear tires on the car. These tires are not run flats but are high performance.

For the replacement tire the SA I had the tire info handy and he took it from me but he also looked at the tire to be replaced and confirmed the info. I haven't even bothered to look at the tire to double check it is the right tire.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 11:22 AM   #5
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed817 View Post
I just had to get a tired replaced yesterday too. Hit a pothole coming home from dinner the other night. Luckily no wheel damage. $402 at BMW of Grapevine which was cheaper than going to Discount Tire and they were able to get the tire in the same day I called.
That's unfortunate.

Hit a pothole with the right front tire of my 2018 MINI JCW fitted with run flats. Felt sure the hit took out the tire. But TPMS pressures were fine. Drove 30 miles home no problem. Dodged a bullet!

But next day when I walked up to the car I spotted a bulge on the sidewall and when I was inside the car was treated to a low pressure alert.

Figured it was time to get my money's worth out of the run flats so drove the car 10 miles to the MINI dealer and got two new tires installed. (The wheel was undamaged.)

Tires worn enough that there would have been too much difference in tread depth between the new and old tire.
Appreciate 0