home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

03-21-2024, 04:58 AM   #1
cannockwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M240i 2023

CarPlay being strange

Ive been having a strange thing happen with carplay the last few weeks.

Everything works perfectly, steering wheel controls and the widget works as it should, music plays fine, but, randomly when i start the car it just will not go full screen, i can touch the screen, press the media button or even double hit the media button and then select carplay but it just wont come up on the screen, then the next time i use the car its all fine.

I have reset the idrive (hold vol button) and then removed and re-paired carplay but nothing changes.

if i go into settings i can switch to bluetooth then back to carplay and that will normally fix it.

Ive searched online but found no one with similar issues. Any of you lot?
      03-21-2024, 09:45 AM   #2
pwebber37
Rep
Drives: 2024 G42

I have had the same issue. My fix has been to do what you did: go to mobile devices, unclick carplay, then click it again and it works.

I have also had another issue - when i use Siri (read a message, send a message, get directions, anything) music wont play anymore. I have to do the same process to disconnect/connect carplay to get it working again. Have you had this issue too?
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2024, 02:47 PM   #3
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Not sure if I’ve seen those exact situations, but I’ve seen general CarPlay weirdness when switching between playing from memory stick, which uses the BMW music player, and CarPlay, which uses the iPhone music player. I’ve run into times where nothing will play and I have to switch back and forth and muck around in the menus to get something to play. Occasionally the HUD track list gets out of sync with whatever’s playing.

Wife’s X3 is a 2020 and its CarPlay/iDrive integration is even more convoluted….she doesn’t even use CarPlay lol
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 07:12 PM   #4
cannockwolf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebber37 View Post
I have also had another issue - when i use Siri (read a message, send a message, get directions, anything) music wont play anymore. I have to do the same process to disconnect/connect carplay to get it working again. Have you had this issue too?
no mate but i dont get many messages so this wont have happen much
      03-22-2024, 05:06 AM   #5
PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i XDrive G42

My issue is CarPlay just won’t stay on.

I have to manually select CarPlay EVERY time I start the car. If I put the car into reverse, and then back into drive, it defaults to the idrive screen.

And sometimes while driving, CarPlay will just disappear and the idrive screen will appear.

It’s all bloody annoying.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 07:45 AM   #6
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT View Post
My issue is CarPlay just won’t stay on.

I have to manually select CarPlay EVERY time I start the car. If I put the car into reverse, and then back into drive, it defaults to the idrive screen.

And sometimes while driving, CarPlay will just disappear and the idrive screen will appear.

It’s all bloody annoying.
Sometimes the CarPlay UI will not appear on the screen and I have to press the CarPlay icon in the top title bar of the idrive screen to get it to show.

I expected CarPlay to be much more polished than it is. What I want is it to auto load when I get in the car (this works) and then begin playing music exactly where I left off. I found that the latter works only on occassion, so to remedy this problem I created a shortcut “when CarPlay connects play YouTube music”.

I also have the occasional issue where the steering controls stop working for CarPlay, for this I created another shortcut to disable and re-enable Bluetooth. This does not occur that often, but the shortcut provides a quick fix when it does.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2024, 05:58 PM   #7
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Are these the shortcuts in iDrive or the phone?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 09:09 PM   #8
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

I was happy with CarPlay but recently I get a black screen pretty often. I have noticed it generally does it when I turn the car off and go inside somewhere, and then return to the car within only a couple minutes. Then I start it up, it resumes the music I had, but if I try to put the CarPlay up on the screen, its just black.

Aside from there, I do have a few issues that are environmental. 3 places I commonly drive through, where it will reliably fail/skip/disconnect every single time I drive down these stretches of road. Which is just bizarre to me, how the hell is anything in the outside environment causing that?? Like there is an EMP on the side of the road??
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 03:31 PM   #9
AcrimoniousMofo
Rep
Drives: BMW M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannockwolf View Post
Ive been having a strange thing happen with carplay the last few weeks.

Everything works perfectly, steering wheel controls and the widget works as it should, music plays fine, but, randomly when i start the car it just will not go full screen, i can touch the screen, press the media button or even double hit the media button and then select carplay but it just wont come up on the screen, then the next time i use the car its all fine.

I have reset the idrive (hold vol button) and then removed and re-paired carplay but nothing changes.

if i go into settings i can switch to bluetooth then back to carplay and that will normally fix it.

Ive searched online but found no one with similar issues. Any of you lot?
I have had the exact same issue and have found a dearth of information on it. I have had to turn off the car and restart my phone to sort it out. Next time it happens I will try your "fix", as that seems far less annoying if it works.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 06:24 PM   #10
aiursblade
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42

Garage List
2023 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
Are these the shortcuts in iDrive or the phone?
He was referring to an iPhone shortcut. You can use the Shortcuts app to make simple automations like that very easily
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2024, 05:11 AM   #11
cannockwolf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiursblade View Post
He was referring to an iPhone shortcut. You can use the Shortcuts app to make simple automations like that very easily
You could even do an automation that everytime carplay connects the phone will tunr off bluetooth wait 3 secs and turn it back on again
      03-27-2024, 10:45 AM   #12
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

This thread cursed me. I’ve had some minor annoyances with iDrive and CarPlay but nothing major. This morning….carplay completely not working. Phone not connecting to wifi. “CarPlay not enabled on your phone” errors. Bluetooth connection not working. Reboot of phone and iDrive doesn’t help. Looks like I’ll have to delete all connections and start from scratch again.

I THINK there was an app update that came in yesterday. Maybe this hosed everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 05:01 PM   #13
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Deleted all connections, reconnected as a new device and it’s working again. So is this expected every time something updates?
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2024, 08:28 AM   #14
cannockwolf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
Deleted all connections, reconnected as a new device and it’s working again. So is this expected every time something updates?
Ive held off the update tbh going to see if its actually needed before i put it on, plus ive got a road trip to paris this weekend and dont want the car being bricked if the update goes wrong
      03-28-2024, 11:24 AM   #15
aiursblade
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42

Garage List
2023 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannockwolf View Post
Ive held off the update tbh going to see if its actually needed before i put it on, plus ive got a road trip to paris this weekend and dont want the car being bricked if the update goes wrong
I’m scarred after the last update wiped the programming for the adaptive high beams. Don’t wanna go though the 30min session to re-do all of my BimmerCode work
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2024, 02:35 PM   #16
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It’s confusing what exactly was updated. It wasn’t the full iDrive version. I’m still on the July release. But a notification popped up on my phone…probably from the My BMW app and said there was an update.

I didn’t do anything and can’t even find the message anymore. But the next time I drove my car the connections were messed up. In the car, iDrive said “an application was updated”. I could check why and all it said was some generic thing like “improvements”. I have no idea what this application was. But it WASN’T the MyBMW app. Because a day later my phone said there was an app update available and I was given the option to update it.

So I guess there is something else they are calling an application and it’s running in the car…but it’s not the full firmware update.

🤷🏻‍♂️
Appreciate 0