BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

03-21-2024, 12:48 PM   #1
fullsmoke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5, 2024 M2

Dynamic mode and Traction control

Hello,

Have any of you guys extensively used M dynamic mode or M traction control mode? It seems like MDM will try to keep you on the road with some play (braking rear and front wheels and cutting throttle), while Traction control mode only limits rear wheel spin (and doesn’t try to keep you on the road)?

Is this the correct description of these modes?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 01:07 PM   #2
jhstjh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2, 2024 GR Corolla

Garage List
https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/maga...n-control.html

Quote:
M Traction Control and MDM are different functions, hence there is no M Traction Control setting which equals MDM.
Simply spoken, M Traction Control is a slip control mechanism that controls rear wheel slip in 10 stages when DSC is switched off. Level 0 is OFF and allows for unlimited wheel spin. The higher levels allow for very limited slip. The slip is controlled using the engine‘s rpm as the only parameter. The vehicle’s yaw rate is not a controlled parameter here.
In contrast to M Traction Control, MDM is a part of the DSC mechanism and actively controls the vehicle‘s yaw rate. DSC/MDM use engine power controls as well as brake interventions to stabilize the vehicle dynamics on the road. MDM uses M Traction Control levels 4 to 7 depending on yaw rate behaviour.
Also good explaination from BMW:
Appreciate 8
      03-21-2024, 01:14 PM   #3
fullsmoke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5, 2024 M2

That’s exactly what I was looking for. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 08:12 PM   #4
Sebis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 G87, '18 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmoke View Post
Hello,

Have any of you guys extensively used M dynamic mode or M traction control mode? It seems like MDM will try to keep you on the road with some play (braking rear and front wheels and cutting throttle), while Traction control mode only limits rear wheel spin (and doesn’t try to keep you on the road)?

Is this the correct description of these modes?

Thanks
I tried both, and M Traction Control gave me quite a scare one time when making a U turn in first gear. I wasn't even half-way on the throttle and the rear went drifting, most likely due to loose sand on the road-top.

So after that 'event', MDM is as adventurous as I get, programmed on the M2 button along with Engine in Sport Plus and everything else in Sport, including suspension. M1 has stability control fully engaged.
      03-25-2024, 11:00 PM   #5
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, 2018 Mustang GT traded in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebis View Post
I tried both, and M Traction Control gave me quite a scare one time when making a U turn in first gear. I wasn't even half-way on the throttle and the rear went drifting, most likely due to loose sand on the road-top.

So after that 'event', MDM is as adventurous as I get, programmed on the M2 button along with Engine in Sport Plus and everything else in Sport, including suspension. M1 has stability control fully engaged.
I use traction control at 4 on my m2 button with engine in sport + and trans in d3. Allows for a bit of spin within reason. But it's set knowingly so not like it'll be a surprise.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 11:25 PM   #6
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZG87 View Post
I use traction control at 4 on my m2 button with engine in sport + and trans in d3. Allows for a bit of spin within reason. But it's set knowingly so not like it'll be a surprise.
If you set it at 4, you’ll probably get the same result in MDM, but keeping the stability control. Have you tried MDM and felt it wasn’t enough?
Appreciate 1
AZG87965.50
      03-25-2024, 11:35 PM   #7
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
If you set it at 4, you’ll probably get the same result in MDM, but keeping the stability control. Have you tried MDM and felt it wasn’t enough?
Ya iirc with mdm on instead it was a bit more muted with less play. I'll leave m buttons off in the morning coming back from the gym heading back to work and manually set it to see how mdm feels again.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      03-25-2024, 11:39 PM   #8
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Ya iirc with mdm on instead it was a bit more muted with less play. I'll leave m buttons off in the morning coming back from the gym heading back to work and manually set it to see how mdm feels again.
I mostly use MDM because it is like TC 4-7. The 4 I think is when you’re straight, and maybe it tones it down to 7 going sideways to keep it somewhat in check. And the stability control will be there even if more permissive. With TC off you may spin out more easily.

Check it out and let us know, I myself haven’t really played with TC off too too much (except in snow) because I don’t normally do burnouts and MDM has been enough for controlled drifts on surface streets (anything you can do before the cops arrest you). Curious what you find out when you test it to compare.
Appreciate 1
AZG87965.50
      03-26-2024, 02:44 AM   #9
myaghi
Private
Rep
Drives: G87

In my experience MDM allow less drift than TC in 5. Now I have MDM on M1 and DSC off with TC set to 3 on M2 and the difference in slip and angles is huge.
MDM is super safe and you can't loose the car whatever you do.
TC from 4 going down is more fun, permisive but also a lot more dangerous if you don't know what you do. You can loose the car easily and no system will help you.
You have to be very honest with your driving skills before turning off the dsc if don't want to end up badly.
It's my first RWD car and I started with MDM, than with TC 7...and all the way to 3 in about 10.000km. I think I will remain at 3 because I like to have a little guarding angel when I ran out of talent.
Appreciate 3
Sebis186.50
M2siast5876.00
      03-26-2024, 12:06 PM   #10
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

MDM seems to be very different between the F87 and G87.

As myaghi mentioned, I can't seem to lose the rear at all in MDM in the G87.

With the F87 I'd have to try NOT to lose it in MDM.

I just assumed the car had "more traction." That might also be true, but it seems like perhaps these traction control systems are different now?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 12:44 PM   #11
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
I mostly use MDM because it is like TC 4-7. The 4 I think is when you’re straight, and maybe it tones it down to 7 going sideways to keep it somewhat in check. And the stability control will be there even if more permissive. With TC off you may spin out more easily.

Check it out and let us know, I myself haven’t really played with TC off too too much (except in snow) because I don’t normally do burnouts and MDM has been enough for controlled drifts on surface streets (anything you can do before the cops arrest you). Curious what you find out when you test it to compare.
So tested mdm this morning instead of normal tc setting. I will say it feels like there is less control of the vehicle. Specifically, less predictable in that you cannot really kick the rear out or have that predictable slip when needed / wanted. Not quite like driving in sand but it definitely dulled down the experience a bit. I could see it more handy in adverse weather but at that point could just switch out of m modes all together.

Switching back to tc 4 regained the familiar predictability of the slip and kick out when needed. For testing, I then switched down to tc 3. No significant observations thus far but will keep my m2 button set with 3 for further testing to see if I just need to drive it more or if from 4 to 3 is too incremental to notice.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      03-26-2024, 01:19 PM   #12
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
So tested mdm this morning instead of normal tc setting. I will say it feels like there is less control of the vehicle. Specifically, less predictable in that you cannot really kick the rear out or have that predictable slip when needed / wanted. Not quite like driving in sand but it definitely dulled down the experience a bit. I could see it more handy in adverse weather but at that point could just switch out of m modes all together.

Switching back to tc 4 regained the familiar predictability of the slip and kick out when needed. For testing, I then switched down to tc 3. No significant observations thus far but will keep my m2 button set with 3 for further testing to see if I just need to drive it more or if from 4 to 3 is too incremental to notice.
Thanks! I’ll do this too and let you know.
Appreciate 1
AZG87965.50
      03-26-2024, 01:37 PM   #13
BokTroy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Please delete this if it’s a duplicate video somewhere else but from 20:53 mark, this guy configured the car in various TC mode and demo’d the car behavior with comparable throttle input:
https://youtu.be/Mz7mUcKWHbg?si=LUYmbDft03rHYeJ9
Appreciate 2
M2siast5876.00
apez649.50