BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Wheels / Tires

12-12-2022, 01:28 PM   #67
hokejka
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Past: 135i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexRaceParts View Post
We just posted our first photos of a 2 series on our new Forged VS-5RS wheels. Check out the post on our gallery thread here.

This looks beautiful - rare to see these days from bmw. Works perfect together. Nice work
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 01:55 PM   #68
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokejka View Post
This looks beautiful - rare to see these days from bmw. Works perfect together. Nice work
Thank you! Our marketing team has been on point. I wish we had a bit more sun for the shoot, but the set still looks great all things considered.

-Tom
      01-09-2023, 06:54 PM   #69
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Motorsport Gold Showcase

We’ve added Satin Bronze as a finish option to a number of our VS-5RS wheels including our incoming staggered 19x9 ET25, 19x10 ET38 set. A few G42 owners have already mentioned that you'd like to see Motorsport Gold come to the direct bolt-on 2 series wheels, but if anyone else would be excited about this color, please let us know!

If you'd like to get a better idea of what the color looks like with true photography, here is a recent shoot we just released.

Motorsport Gold Finish:

BMW photos are coming in the future, but we hope you enjoy a look at this Porsche centerlock fitment in the same Motorsport Gold finish.

I'd love to bring this color to market, so please let us know what sizes you'd like to see it offered in.

-Tom
      01-10-2023, 10:52 AM   #70
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Quote:

Motorsport Gold Showcase

We’ve added Satin Bronze as a finish option to a number of our VS-5RS wheels including our incoming staggered 19x9 ET25, 19x10 ET38 set. A few G42 owners have already mentioned that you'd like to see Motorsport Gold come to the direct bolt-on 2 series wheels, but if anyone else would be excited about this color, please let us know!

If you'd like to get a better idea of what the color looks like with true photography, here is a recent shoot we just released.

I'd love to bring this color to market, so please let us know what sizes you'd like to see it offered in.

-Tom
I knew a bronze/gold would look great on Brooklyn Grey, and this Porsche is pretty close to that color!

I'd like to see this offered with the 19x9.5 ET25, which would be complimented with 265/35's for a square setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 01:35 PM   #71
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
I knew a bronze/gold would look great on Brooklyn Grey, and this Porsche is pretty close to that color!

I'd like to see this offered with the 19x9.5 ET25, which would be complemented with 265/35's for a square setup.
That's a good point. I'll need to work out what we want to do on the Supra side of things as that wheel is technically part of the Supra market on our end but I'd agree that it would look amazing on these cars.

I appreciate the feedback!

-Tom
      01-14-2023, 08:26 AM   #72
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Kind of curious your process for picking styles you release for these cars. Is it just simply a they are made this size and et so they are for the g42? Reason I ask is traditionally I would think something a bit more spokey is always a good look on a bmw, lm's lm-r, ch, ch-r. Hre has few nice looking form flows but seem to require a jump to 20 to get anything that would allow for some meat.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 08:01 AM   #73
TUG_H1LL
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Expert@ApexRaceParts
are you interested in daily driven car in Northern New York 22' m240i xdrive looking for fitment with 20's ?? 9months ownership over 18k miles
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 06:17 PM   #74
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Hey All, a quick note for the keen-eyed among you: I've changed the name of this thread from the "Development Thread" to the G42 Technical thread. I'll still post about new product development and process updates here, but I wanted a single larger thread that covers technical aspects of APEX wheels on G42s and more beyond just new wheel development.

Hopefully, this change makes things a bit more accurate overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG42 View Post
Kind of curious your process for picking styles you release for these cars. Is it just simply a they are made this size and et so they are for the g42? Reason I ask is traditionally I would think something a bit more spokey is always a good look on a bmw, lm's lm-r, ch, ch-r. Hre has few nice looking form flows but seem to require a jump to 20 to get anything that would allow for some meat.
This is a great question and the answers are long and many. There are a few factors, but the root of your question I think is why did you pick a certain design and not others.

There are going to be multiple reasons behind why we choose what we choose. Our ethos is primarily focused on performance but we also appreciate the aesthetics that an aftermarket set or really great OE set of wheels brings to a car.

For example, we selected the VS-5RS for the G20 and G42 chassis as our first forged option because of its low weight and superb brake clearances based on the spoke shaping our engineers are able to put into each fitment. Beyond that, there was significant community demand behind the VS-5RS in particular and the split 5 spoke wheel has become a mainstay on modern performance cars. It also worked with existing VS-5RS Supra fitments that we already produced in the same design allowing for more mixing and matching of fitments despite not adding additional products.

This doesn't mean we'll only ever produce the VS-5RS forged designs for the G42, but these factors played a role in our decision to bring the VS-5RS out first.

There are also other design-based restrictions that factor into our decisions. I personally love the flow-formed ARC-8 design we've offered for many years and run them on my personal E46 3 series, but the offset requirements especially of the G42 rear wheels mean that an ARC-8 would be heavier and likely partially flat-faced for this application. The concave ARC-8s also don't have as much spoke-side brake caliper clearance as our SM-10s and customers running ZTK-equipped 2 series might have to use a spacer with a concave ARC-8 in the same front fitment as our SM-10 for example.

These are a few examples, but I hope it shows how deliberate we here at APEX are being when thinking about what 5x112 BMW fitments to offer. This change in bolt pattern means our old 5x120 wheel catalog isn't able to be ported over like it was in the past so we are choosing specific designs to bring to market first that offer the best possible fitments without compromise. It’s easy to bring a bunch of pre-existing fitments over that require spacers or adapters in some cases but that isn’t our goal.

Sorry for the long winded reply. To answer your question, I’m hoping to have more traditional mesh style designs for 5x112 BMW in the future, but we are currently focusing on building our existing lines out in terms of diameters and track fitments for now. Stay tuned, more is in the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUG_H1LL View Post
Expert@ApexRaceParts
are you interested in daily driven car in Northern New York 22' m240i xdrive looking for fitment with 20's ?? 9months ownership over 18k miles
You’re a bit too removed from California to stop by our office for in person test fitments, but I appreciate the thought. We’ll be working on 20s this year.

-Tom
      01-16-2023, 10:14 PM   #75
tahoeacr
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M240IX

What is the narrowest rim you have for the G42? Looking for 18X6 or 6.5 for snow tires. Have you actually measured a difference in the disc size on a '23 US version. I didn't order the ZTK because my dealer couldn't verify if it came with larger discs.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 12:09 PM   #76
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
What is the narrowest rim you have for the G42? Looking for 18X6 or 6.5 for snow tires. Have you actually measured a difference in the disc size on a '23 US version. I didn't order the ZTK because my dealer couldn't verify if it came with larger discs.
The narrowest wheel we offer for the G42 currently is 19x9 with either a 25 or 28 offset depending on the design you select. We're considering 18s in the future but we don't have them on offer right now.

The ZTK package comes with upsized rotors for sure. I believe the caliper is also larger.

-Tom
      01-18-2023, 01:31 PM   #77
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The ZTK package comes with upsized rotors for sure. I believe the caliper is also larger.

-Tom
Are you sure this holds true for North American cars?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 02:20 PM   #78
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure this holds true for North American cars?
I'm fairly certain that this is the case unless the brake sizing is decided by an alternate package or model year difference other than the ZTK? That seems unlikely though.

The purple car is a non-ZTK car we showcased earlier. Grey car is a ZTK car we just shot as part of a scan and test fitment. Both are M240, purple is xi, grey is rwd.

This is the same front wheel on both cars. You can see differences in the piston spacing on the caliper as well as the pins for the brake pads being placed in alternate locations. The smaller rotors show more of the dust shield behind the rotor on the purple car as well.

-Tom

Last edited by Expert@ApexWheels; 01-18-2023 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 2
XC3LLR82062.50
apez649.50
      01-18-2023, 03:19 PM   #79
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
This is the same front wheel on both cars. You can see differences in the piston spacing on the caliper as well as the pins for the brake pads being placed in alternate locations. The smaller rotors show more of the dust shield behind the rotor on the purple car as well.

-Tom
Looks like that settles it. I know there was a lot of discussion earlier in 2022 on whether the ZTK package had bigger brakes, and the BMW Genius I worked with when ordering didn't mention caliper size as one of the differences. I just looked at the differences you mentioned on my car and they're the same as the one you pictured. Now I'm surprised more folks didn't order the ZTK for the larger brakes alone.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 03:40 PM   #80
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Looks like that settles it. I know there was a lot of discussion earlier in 2022 on whether the ZTK package had bigger brakes, and the BMW Genius I worked with when ordering didn't mention caliper size as one of the differences. I just looked at the differences you mentioned on my car and they're the same as the one you pictured. Now I'm surprised more folks didn't order the ZTK for the larger brakes alone.
It sounds like the dealer ordering and options process wasn't/isn't handled well with these cars as this is a pretty key upgrade. I'm surprised they aren't promoting it as a selling point of the package more than they apparently are, but many of their employees might not know the details.

-Tom
      01-18-2023, 04:12 PM   #81
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It sounds like the dealer ordering and options process wasn't/isn't handled well with these cars as this is a pretty key upgrade. I'm surprised they aren't promoting it as a selling point of the package more than they apparently are, but many of their employees might not know the details.

-Tom
I was told the ZTK package consists of the wheels/tires, larger radiator fan, transmission cooler, fender flare stick-ons (forgot the fancy word for them), and M Performance software, which I think is just basically BMW's lame lap timer.

Maybe the confirmation on the difference in caliper size has long been resolved in one of these threads and I just missed it, but now I feel a little better about the cost of the package.

BTW, I think I've decided on the VS-5RS 19x9 ET30 in Motorsport Gold (w/255's all around), but I just wish I could see them on Brooklyn Grey first!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 05:06 PM   #82
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I was told the ZTK package consists of the wheels/tires, larger radiator fan, transmission cooler, fender flare stick-ons (forgot the fancy word for them), and M Performance software, which I think is just basically BMW's lame lap timer.

Maybe the confirmation on the difference in caliper size has long been resolved in one of these threads and I just missed it, but now I feel a little better about the cost of the package.

BTW, I think I've decided on the VS-5RS 19x9 ET30 in Motorsport Gold (w/255's all around), but I just wish I could see them on Brooklyn Grey first!
Be careful, the 19x9 ET30s on our site are 5x120 bolt pattern rather than the 5x112 you need for your G42. The G42 spec 19x9 wheels are ET25. I'm working on getting them produced in motorsport gold after adding Satin Bronze but that combination isn't available on our site at the moment.

-Tom
      01-18-2023, 05:22 PM   #83
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Be careful, the 19x9 ET30s on our site are 5x120 bolt pattern rather than the 5x112 you need for your G42. The G42 spec 19x9 wheels are ET25. I'm working on getting them produced in motorsport gold after adding Satin Bronze but that combination isn't available on our site at the moment.

-Tom
Thanks for the head's-up. I saw it listed as a BMW wheel and just assumed.

That's disappointing on the ET's, as the 19x9 ET30 would be almost IDENTICAL to my current 893's with 13mm spacers.

Guess it's a good thing I like the looks of the 893's, which keeps me from being in a hurry to change. LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 12:55 AM   #84
tahoeacr
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M240IX

Quote:
The narrowest wheel we offer for the G42 currently is 19x9 with either a 25 or 28 offset depending on the design you select. We're considering 18s in the future but we don't have them on offer right now.

-Tom
Thanks. That just pisses me off my local dealer didn't know any better when I ordered the car back in July.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 02:25 PM   #85
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

I didn't want it to get lost in a multi-page thread, but a technical post for our 19x9.5 ET25 square fitment is up: https://g42.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6#post29752236

I hope this helps those of you considering this fitment for your G42!

-Tom
      01-19-2023, 03:08 PM   #86
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I didn't want it to get lost in a multi-page thread, but a technical post for our 19x9.5 ET25 square fitment is up: https://g42.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6#post29752236

I hope this helps those of you considering this fitment for your G42!

-Tom
To quote Lawrence of Arabia...

"DAMN IT, LAWRENCE!"
Appreciate 1
Nate48150.00
      01-31-2023, 07:13 PM   #87
oncityce
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 G42 M240ix

I really want to have a 18' fitment from Apex...
Appreciate 1
jbazz256.50
      02-01-2023, 02:36 PM   #88
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncityce View Post
I really want to have a 18' fitment from Apex...
It's in the works. That's actually the main reason we brought that grey car in pictured above as we wanted a scan of the ZTK brakes to help develop our 18" wheels. No hard ETAs on those yet, but we'll keep you posted.

-Tom
jbazz256.50