BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Wheels / Tires

02-03-2023, 02:02 PM   #89
oncityce
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 G42 M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexRaceParts View Post
It's in the works. That's actually the main reason we brought that grey car in pictured above as we wanted a scan of the ZTK brakes to help develop our 18" wheels. No hard ETAs on those yet, but we'll keep you posted.

-Tom
I saw you guys updated the winter fitment . Can wait for the 18' performance setup .
Thanks
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2023, 04:23 PM   #90
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

XC3LLR8

Hey guys,

I'm really behind this week building and posting threads. You'll get your own post and commercial thread that goes in-depth on options here later, but our 19" Group Buy for the VS-5RS and some other options like the new SM-10RS is here:
https://www.gangup.com/apex/19-forge...s-q1-2023.html

For those of you that know exactly what you want and are comfortable ordering the wheels now, have at it! The wheels on this list arent the end of it though as I'm trying to get 18" and 20" added as well all in G42 fitments.

More details and a full thread post to follow. I'm happy to jump into questions about the deal then as well.

-Tom
      02-08-2023, 04:50 PM   #91
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Quote:
XC3LLR8

Hey guys,

I'm really behind this week building and posting threads. You'll get your own post and commercial thread that goes in-depth on options here later, but our 19" Group Buy for the VS-5RS and some other options like the new SM-10RS is here:
https://www.gangup.com/apex/19-forge...s-q1-2023.html

For those of you that know exactly what you want and are comfortable ordering the wheels now, have at it! The wheels on this list arent the end of it though as I'm trying to get 18" and 20" added as well all in G42 fitments.

More details and a full thread post to follow. I'm happy to jump into questions about the deal then as well.

-Tom
Thanks Tom! My son just told me you have new SM-10 wheels on Instagram, so I'll figure out what I want between those and the VS-5RS's and get in on the group buy.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 05:27 PM   #92
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Tom - I'm in like Flynn.

**The TPMS application list does not include the G42. Is this the correct TPMS from the F2X...

36-1-06-881-890

Last edited by XC3LLR8; 02-09-2023 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 02:21 PM   #93
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

APEX Wheels | Forged Sprint™ Line Group Buys + New Design!

It’s Here. The new lightweight SM-10RS Joins Our Forged Sprint™ Line family!

Join our Group Buy to get deep volume discounts on our existing 19” VS-5RS forged wheel designs, or to be among the first to pre-order the all-new SM-10RS!

Non-M3/4 chassis get deep discounts on our square and staggered fitments along with an all new design via the 19x9.5 ET25 SM-10RS perfect for aggressive square track fitments. The G8X M3 and M4 on the other hand get deep discounts on both their 19” square, staggered, and the staggered diameter 19” front and 20” rear fitments for an OE feel with more aggressive tire widths in the VS-5RS design. The versatile 19x9.5 ET25 SM-10RS and VS-5RS can also be used as a winter fitment on this chassis opening up more options for G8X owners in terms of design.

18” Buyers:
We’ll be working to update our 18” Group buy with all new 18” VS-5RS wheels for your G chassis. G42 and G2X 2,3, and 4 series models are getting an 18” version of our 19” fitments (9” front and 10” rear) in identical offsets. This thread will be bumped with an update when you can pledge for those wheels.

20” Buyers:
20” VS-5RS wheels are also inbound. We don’t have an active Group Buy for the 20s yet, but that will go live in a few months. G42 and G2X 2, 3, and 4 series models are getting 20” versions of our 19” fitments (9” front and 10” rear) in identical offsets. Once again, This thread will be bumped with an update when you can pledge for those wheels.

19”

Save up to $400 off + free shipping* on 19” fitments

DATES

The deal is now live and lock on 3/14/2023 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time. Wheels are currently scheduled to ship out in April or May depending on size, finish, and availability. Don’t wait! Visit our 19” GangUp.com Group Buy for more information.

JOIN THE GANG

To streamline pledging and fitment selection, we use GangUp to track interest and pledges. This system lets you commit at your preferred discount level and removes the old-school headache of forum threads and email chains as a Group Buy heats up. Watch the video below to learn how GangUp works and how to pledge.

These Group Buys depend on the enthusiast community to succeed. More pledges mean deeper discounts and more competition for popular fitments and finishes. Make sure you pledge early to get the best possible allocation for your preferred set of Sprint Line wheels.

THE DESIGNS

SM-10RS

Introducing the Forged SM-10RS. An ultralight version of our already popular SM-10 design. We’re a function-over-form brand, so we took our time and engineered this wheel to be our best. The original SM-10 has been re-engineered with thinner spokes and extra-deep side-milling for maximum weight reduction. The SM-10RS is now our lightest wheel in some fitments and meaningfully stiffer than our popular VS-5RS.

VS-5RS

The VS-5RS was built to be extremely light while still offering a meaningful strength increase over our flow formed wheels. For those looking to shed as much weight as possible to improve lap times.

Take a Closer Look

View on car photography of all our wheels on our all new site!

A FITMENT FOR YOU

We know what fits. From direct bolt-on to aggressive track day fitments and everything in between. We've tested extensively to save you the trial-and-error.

APEX Wheel Fitment Guides

Questions?
Call: 925-245-0773
Email: expert@apexraceparts.com
Web: https://apexwheels.com/?utm_source=b...l&utm_term=bmw
Hours: M-F 9a-5p PST

*Free Shipping: This Group Buy offers free shipping to the 48 mainland US states. Buyers who have products shipped to Alaska, Hawaii, APO/FPO, and International destinations will receive a discounted shipping rate.
      02-09-2023, 02:25 PM   #94
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
Thanks Tom! My son just told me you have new SM-10 wheels on Instagram, so I'll figure out what I want between those and the VS-5RS's and get in on the group buy.
Yes, the SM-10RS is here as a forged wheel, but only available in the 19x9.5 ET25 for now in 5x112 BMW fitments.

Quote:
Tom - I'm in like Flynn.

**The TPMS application list does not include the G42. Is this the correct TPMS from the F2X...

36-1-06-881-890
Great question, I'm working on getting the application list linked updated, but the part number you'll need is listed as 887-147

-Tom
Attached Images

02-09-2023, 07:16 PM   #95
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Tom - when I was going back and forth between the SM-10RS and the VS-5RS on GangUp, I noticed the SM-10RS in 19x9.5 ET25 was not an option in Brushed Clear, but it appears on the Apex website.

Is this correct, or just a glitch?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 07:20 PM   #96
apez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2, F25 X3

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [7.62]
2015 BMW X3  [7.25]
New site looks great - especially the gallery, and the group buy is super tempting.

VS-5RS in 19x9 seems to be the suggestion for non-ZTK cars. I have a hard time judging from photos, but does it look okay on non-lowered cars? Is the fitment more aggressive then OEM, or would I still want spacers?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 08:22 AM   #97
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apez View Post
New site looks great - especially the gallery, and the group buy is super tempting.

VS-5RS in 19x9 seems to be the suggestion for non-ZTK cars. I have a hard time judging from photos, but does it look okay on non-lowered cars? Is the fitment more aggressive then OEM, or would I still want spacers?
Looks are subjective, but I think the VS-5RS looks amazing on OEM suspension.

Do you know the wheel width of your current front and back, and offset of each? If so, you can enter the front as wheel 1 and the Apex specs as wheel 2 to see the difference, and then do the same with your rear as wheel 1. This will show what the Apex looks like overlayed on your current wheels, and help you decide if you want spacers for more offset.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/
Appreciate 1
apez649.50
      02-10-2023, 01:37 PM   #98
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apez View Post

Thank you. The new site has been something we've been working on for a long time and we're excited about it for a ton of reasons. I see some missing chassis under G42 so I'll get those added to the gallery, but here are all the G42 shots I have: https://www.flickr.com/photos/apexra...77720298585188

The format is less ideal than the new gallery, but the details for each car are on the image descriptions. Most of our G42 shoots with the Anthracite VS-5RS wheels are on cars with OE suspension.

Quote:
Looks are subjective, but I think the VS-5RS looks amazing on OEM suspension.

Do you know the wheel width of your current front and back, and offset of each? If so, you can enter the front as wheel 1 and the Apex specs as wheel 2 to see the difference, and then do the same with your rear as wheel 1. This will show what the Apex looks like overlayed on your current wheels, and help you decide if you want spacers for more offset.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/
+1 for willtheyfit, its a great calculator.

-Tom
      02-10-2023, 01:50 PM   #99
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Tom - when I was going back and forth between the SM-10RS and the VS-5RS on GangUp, I noticed the SM-10RS in 19x9.5 ET25 was not an option in Brushed Clear, but it appears on the Apex website.

Is this correct, or just a glitch?
Interesting. Can you link a URL where you're seeing the 19x9.5 ET25 available in brushed clear? I can't find one at the moment but between 2 sites and the group buy + all my spreadsheets, I may be missing a URL.

The 19x9.5 ET25 is mainly a Supra wheel though I hope to sell more of them to BMWs in both designs. Based on what I can see, GangUp is correct in that we'll only be bringing out the SM-10RS 19x9.5 ET25 in Anthracite, Satin Bronze, Satin Black, and Motorsport Gold initially.

-Tom

Last edited by Expert@ApexWheels; 02-10-2023 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 02:06 PM   #100
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Can you link a URL where you're seeing the 19x9.5 ET25 available in brushed clear? I can't find one at the moment but between 2 sites and the group buy + all my spreadsheets, I may be missing a URL.

The 19x9.5 ET25 is mainly a Supra wheel though I hope to sell more of them to BMWs in both designs. Based on what I can see, GangUp is correct in that we'll only be bringing out the wheel in Anthracite, Satin Bronze, Satin Black, and Motorsport Gold out initially.

-Tom
Under the SM-10RS page on Apex there is a Sizes & Prices chart that includes 19x9.5, but none of the sizes show available colors. However, on the same page I see this, which is what made me believe the SM-10RS was available in Brushed Clear...

https://apexwheels.com/wheels/sm-10rs
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 04:54 PM   #101
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Under the SM-10RS page on Apex there is a Sizes & Prices chart that includes 19x9.5, but none of the sizes show available colors. However, on the same page I see this, which is what made me believe the SM-10RS was available in Brushed Clear...

https://apexwheels.com/wheels/sm-10rs
Gotcha, that makes more sense. For clarification: The SM-10RS is available in Brushed Clear in some fitments, but not in the 19x9.5 ET25 5x112 Supra/BMW fitment you're specifically looking at.

-Tom
      02-23-2023, 03:54 PM   #102
oncityce
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 G42 M240ix

Quote:
It’s Here. The new lightweight SM-10RS Joins Our Forged Sprint™ Line family!

Join our Group Buy to get deep volume discounts on our existing 19” VS-5RS forged wheel designs, or to be among the first to pre-order the all-new SM-10RS!

Non-M3/4 chassis get deep discounts on our square and staggered fitments along with an all new design via the 19x9.5 ET25 SM-10RS perfect for aggressive square track fitments. The G8X M3 and M4 on the other hand get deep discounts on both their 19” square, staggered, and the staggered diameter 19” front and 20” rear fitments for an OE feel with more aggressive tire widths in the VS-5RS design. The versatile 19x9.5 ET25 SM-10RS and VS-5RS can also be used as a winter fitment on this chassis opening up more options for G8X owners in terms of design.

18” Buyers:
We’ll be working to update our 18” Group buy with all new 18” VS-5RS wheels for your G chassis. G42 and G2X 2,3, and 4 series models are getting an 18” version of our 19” fitments (9” front and 10” rear) in identical offsets. This thread will be bumped with an update when you can pledge for those wheels.

20” Buyers:
20” VS-5RS wheels are also inbound. We don’t have an active Group Buy for the 20s yet, but that will go live in a few months. G42 and G2X 2, 3, and 4 series models are getting 20” versions of our 19” fitments (9” front and 10” rear) in identical offsets. Once again, This thread will be bumped with an update when you can pledge for those wheels.

19”

Save up to $400 off + free shipping* on 19” fitments

DATES

The deal is now live and lock on 3/14/2023 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time. Wheels are currently scheduled to ship out in April or May depending on size, finish, and availability. Don’t wait! Visit our 19” GangUp.com Group Buy for more information.

JOIN THE GANG

To streamline pledging and fitment selection, we use GangUp to track interest and pledges. This system lets you commit at your preferred discount level and removes the old-school headache of forum threads and email chains as a Group Buy heats up. Watch the video below to learn how GangUp works and how to pledge.

These Group Buys depend on the enthusiast community to succeed. More pledges mean deeper discounts and more competition for popular fitments and finishes. Make sure you pledge early to get the best possible allocation for your preferred set of Sprint Line wheels.

THE DESIGNS

SM-10RS

Introducing the Forged SM-10RS. An ultralight version of our already popular SM-10 design. We’re a function-over-form brand, so we took our time and engineered this wheel to be our best. The original SM-10 has been re-engineered with thinner spokes and extra-deep side-milling for maximum weight reduction. The SM-10RS is now our lightest wheel in some fitments and meaningfully stiffer than our popular VS-5RS.

VS-5RS

The VS-5RS was built to be extremely light while still offering a meaningful strength increase over our flow formed wheels. For those looking to shed as much weight as possible to improve lap times.

Take a Closer Look

View on car photography of all our wheels on our all new site!

A FITMENT FOR YOU

We know what fits. From direct bolt-on to aggressive track day fitments and everything in between. We've tested extensively to save you the trial-and-error.

APEX Wheel Fitment Guides

Questions?
Call: 925-245-0773
Email: expert@apexraceparts.com
Web: https://apexwheels.com/?utm_source=b...l&utm_term=bmw
Hours: M-F 9a-5p PST

*Free Shipping: This Group Buy offers free shipping to the 48 mainland US states. Buyers who have products shipped to Alaska, Hawaii, APO/FPO, and International destinations will receive a discounted shipping rate.
Wow,thanks for the 18' et25 VS5RS. Pledged .
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2023, 06:39 PM   #103
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

18” & 19” Sprint Line Group Buy Update

With under 19 days left to pledge on both Group Buys, there is still plenty of time left to join our 18” and 19” deals and claim your own set at this incredible price point. The hard work has already been done on the 19” deal and the Max Discount of $400.00 off has been unlocked. The 18” Deal isn’t far behind with 25 pledges left before we hit the max discount. Don’t let early pledgers beat you to your preferred fitment or finish allocation on these deals. Pledge today and share the deal to help ensure we hit the max discount.

18” G2X 3 / 4 series and G42 Buyers: Your wheels are on the way! We’ve added 18” fitments to the 18” Group Buy to give you the option to run smaller, lighter and cheaper wheels and tires. 18x9 ET25 and 18x10 ET38 are a great option designed specifically around your brakes and are not available in our VS-5RS design.

Every Sprint Line Forged Design is on sale and included in this Group Buy. Whether you prefer the stiffest Sprint line design in our classic mesh EC-7RS, our lightweight and modern split-5 VS-5RS, or the all new SM-10RS that brings an optimal ratio of light weight and stiffness to an attractive 10 spoke package, we have a wheel for your BMW.

While we know we don’t yet offer the EC-7RS in 5x112 BMW fitments, let us know if you’d like to see that design or the SM-10RS added to our 5x112 Sprint Line options in the future!

PC:https://www.notsostock.com.br/

Pledge Today
      02-25-2023, 03:05 PM   #104
Brett_C_F30_G42
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Garage List
So I wanna buy some VS-5RS wheels soon but I need to know exactly what to buy 😅

I’m looking to do:
245mm front on 19”
275mm rear on 19”

So which ones do I buy?😅Also I would love to get them in Motorsport Gold. I know they only come in bronze right now but I would 100% buy if they came in gold.

Thanks!!!
2022 BMW M240i xDrive
Instagrams: bmw_2er_g42
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2023, 04:18 PM   #105
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_C_F30_G42 View Post
So I wanna buy some VS-5RS wheels soon but I need to know exactly what to buy 😅

I’m looking to do:
245mm front on 19”
275mm rear on 19”

So which ones do I buy?😅Also I would love to get them in Motorsport Gold. I know they only come in bronze right now but I would 100% buy if they came in gold.

Thanks!!!
Not sure why we didn't see the notification for this thread bump, but hopefully you're sorted out on another channel or via dm on GangUp. Gold was added to the wheels available for this chassis on GangUp. Tire details we've gone over on this thread a few times. The main points and recommendations are here: https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide

Please let me know if you have any questions!

-Tom
      03-20-2023, 06:22 PM   #106
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Hey guys. I've been trying to refrain from doing this, but my excitement is getting the best of me.

I pledged on that group buy for a set of VS5-RSs(19x9 +25/19x10 +38) in satin black.

You guys posted an update video saying some sets would be shipping much sooner than you'd anticipated.

Am I in that sooner group? I have a racing event on 4/1 and I'd really like to be on the new wheels. Thanks!

I do actually have a technical question as well. Would it be okay to reuse the 245s I have on the front and order a new set of 275s for the rear, or would it be better to just order 4 new tires and start fresh?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 07:07 AM   #107
Mike_H_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240ix, 370z, Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons e92 View Post
You guys posted an update video saying some sets would be shipping much sooner than you'd anticipated.
I used the messaging feature on GangUp and APEX was able to send me a target date that is 5 weeks earlier than what GangUp indicates, mine is 4/28. Also, when they capture your deposit, an email is sent and that email contained the 4/28 date as well.

Quote:
I do actually have a technical question as well. Would it be okay to reuse the 245s I have on the front and order a new set of 275s for the rear, or would it be better to just order 4 new tires and start fresh?
Would need more information on what the tire size is, is it the 245/35 that came with the ZTK? What size 275?

If it's 275/35 and 245/35, it's going to be bad for the xDrive system, as there's more than a 1% difference in circumference.
Name:  tiresize.com_comparison.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  47.4 KB

You can enter tire data here to figure out what will work. I went with a 19x9.5 square setup for a couple reasons.

1) A square setup can be rotated to balance tire wear
2) Even though a small difference in circumference is allowed, 0% difference is ideal. I've read a few threads where owners (of other BMW models) claiming to run within the 1% tolerance had xDrive failure after 50k miles.

I prefer to run 265/35, as there are other members who have already received their wheels, I will wait to see their fitments and if the clearances aren't OK, I'll run 255/35.

Last edited by Mike_H_; 03-21-2023 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: fix pic attachment
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 07:14 AM   #108
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H_ View Post
Would need more information on what the tire size is, is it the 245/35 that came with the ZTK? What size 275?Attachment 3134747

If it's 275/35 and 245/35, it's going to be bad for the xDrive system, as there's more than a 1% difference in circumference.

You can enter tire date here to figure out what will work. I went with a 19x9.5 square setup for a couple reasons.

1) A square setup can be rotated to balance tire wear
2) Even though a small difference in circumference is allowed, 0% difference is ideal. I've read a few threads where owners (of other BMW models) claiming to run within the 1% tolerance had xDrive failure after 50k miles.

I prefer to run 265/35, as there are other members who have already received their wheels, I will wait to see their fitments and if the clearances aren't OK, I'll run 255/35.
Thanks for the response.

I didn't want to get the 19x9.5 +25 because I just feel it looks a bit to aggressive up front. The only other option for a square set up is 19x9 +25, which then I'm losing a half inch or rear width (I have ZTK). So square is out for me.

I believe the fronts on the ZTK are 245/40 and the rears ate 255/35. With a 245/40 up front Apex calls for a 275/35 out back which is a 0.6% difference in overall diameter. That's even better than the difference between factory diameters with ZTK. I just don't know how it would work with the tires on the front of the car now.

To make matters even more complicated, the front passenger side has about 9,500 miles on it while the front driver side has about 1,500 miles. Damn NY pot holes.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 07:43 AM   #109
Mike_H_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240ix, 370z, Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons e92 View Post
Thanks for the response.

I didn't want to get the 19x9.5 +25 because I just feel it looks a bit to aggressive up front. The only other option for a square set up is 19x9 +25, which then I'm losing a half inch or rear width (I have ZTK). So square is out for me.

I believe the fronts on the ZTK are 245/40 and the rears are 255/35. With a 245/40 up front
I have ZTK and the set up mine came with was 245/35 fr and 255/35 rear, 245/40 fr 255/35 rear is a 2.6% difference.

Both cars featured running APEX 19x9.5 had the Falken RT 660 one of the widest 265/35 available, most wouldn't poke that much and the 255/35 even less so.

Falken RT 660 - - section width: 10.9" tread width 9.8"
Michelin PS4S - section width: 10.7" tread width 9.6"

Others will post pics with less aggressive 265/35 fittings and you may find that to be fine, the 255/35 is definitely not going to have too much poke.

265/35 will give you a slightly better resistance to potholes.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 09:00 AM   #110
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H_ View Post
I have ZTK and the set up mine came with was 245/35 fr and 255/35 rear, 245/40 fr 255/35 rear is a 2.6% difference.

Both cars featured running APEX 19x9.5 had the Falken RT 660 one of the widest 265/35 available, most wouldn't poke that much and the 255/35 even less so.

Falken RT 660 - - section width: 10.9" tread width 9.8"
Michelin PS4S - section width: 10.7" tread width 9.6"

Others will post pics with less aggressive 265/35 fittings and you may find that to be fine, the 255/35 is definitely not going to have too much poke.

265/35 will give you a slightly better resistance to potholes.
Damn you're right. This whole time I've had wrong tire sizes in my head.

Looks like this solves that question. 245/40 fronts and 275/35 rears is what I'll likely end up with.

I don't want to go down to a 235 in the front when I'm already running a 245 on a wheel that's half an inch narrower than the VS5-RS is going to be.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there are any photos of this tire set up. Looks like I'll have to be the Guinea pig.
Appreciate 0