Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by specka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
the front ones also overhang in the front side pods - wont be very noticable but strange design decision.
Yes exactly, those are probably the worse ones actually.
I'm not a hater, I will reserve judgement til I see it. I can't fault BMW with the vision after the successful design of the new M3/4 and the fuss about the nostrils/beaver teeth that I feel has largely been put to rest.
This design was approved years ago; likely around the same time the G8X design was approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenssmart View Post
Really sad about side vents / badging

Sounds like a lot of cost cutting
It's not cost cutting. Earlier G8X models that were presented around the globe didn't have badging either. Production line models will.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 10:03 AM   #112
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Maybe your right, I know my friend with is Manual 2017 M2 was closer to the 3500 mark than mine.
I had the DCT but I read it only added 40lbs. If I still had the car I'd gladly go weigh it for fun. Either way, I wish they didn't keep force feeding their smallest ///M car because it's not far off the G8X now
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 10:04 AM   #113
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoy View Post
As a Designer myself, we work in the virtual world, study models in 3D, concept renderings, way before a prototype is developed or in my case, a building is erected. Scale, proportion, color, lighting, etc., all can be studied and refined before a physical model is made. I don't need to see the car in person to use design principals to establish an opinion.

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but there are certain design constructs that all art fine follows; balance, scale, proportion, etc. This new M2 lacks these basics tenets. It's not to say all is bad, just lacks refinement.

When I finally see the car in person, these shortcoming won't change. Not saying it won't look better in other colors that may "conceal" it's shortcomings.
I'm curious about this process. What do you think they will do when it comes to LCI? Do they take public input and make refinements, budget permitting, or do they just ignore any criticism and do whatever they like? The hope is they'd refine the things that look unrefined on the LCI model.

I can already hear the critics out there... I know, I know, I'm a fool for even thinking they'd do the right thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 10:09 AM   #114
Sethhboii
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
the front ones also overhang in the front side pods - wont be very noticable but strange design decision.
I'm not a hater, I will reserve judgement til I see it. I can't fault BMW with the vision after the successful design of the new M3/4 and the fuss about the nostrils/beaver teeth that I feel has largely been put to rest.
This design was approved years ago; likely around the same time the G8X design was approved.

Quote:

It's not cost cutting. Earlier G8X models that were presented around the globe didn't have badging either. Production line models will.
So you think during the unveiling we will se vent/badging? Cause this first look article makes me think otherwise even though the VIN is prototype
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 10:10 AM   #115
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethhboii View Post
So you think during the unveiling we will se vent/badging? Cause this first look article makes me think otherwise even though the VIN is prototype
Wait, you have a VIN? If so, please share.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 10:11 AM   #116
Sethhboii
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:
Wait, you have a VIN? If so, please share.
No, OP said the VIN was prototype I though
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 10:11 AM   #117
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danman5666 View Post
Thanks for the writeup, good stuff. I do like the bold stance and I think BMW will sell these like hotcakes.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hash View Post
Hi All,

I don't want to hijack this thread (happy to start a separate one) but I was also fortunate enough to spend a solid half hour today with the new M2 and the Australian BMW reps at the Motorclassica show in Melbourne.
Thanks for the insight.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 10:12 AM   #118
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Dang, having a VIN is the golden ticket. We could look up errrrrrrrrrrrything about the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 10:14 AM   #119
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Badging will be on the production cars, but despite the rumbles about the lack of vents (…similar to the lack of hood bulges on the F8X), it may not have worked with the overall design of the car. I don't see it as a deal breaker at all, much like the lack of a pronounced hood bulge.

….and mind you, people now consider the F8X the "pinnacle" of M3/M4 design (…then again, that was said about the E9X when the F8X arrived, the E46 when the E9X arrived, the E36 when the E46 arrived……and so it continues).
Appreciate 2
EXE462101.50
T3CH46.50
      10-07-2022, 10:14 AM   #120
Sethhboii
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Dang, having a VIN is the golden ticket. We could look up errrrrrrrrrrrything about the car.
Quote:
Quote:
I swear I read something about "no vin or prototype vin" a couple of hours ago. I'm seeing shit now
Appreciate 1
Tag18412.00
      10-07-2022, 10:17 AM   #121
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
I swear I read something about "no vin or prototype vin" a couple of hours ago. I'm seeing shit now
As soon as you said VIN I franticly started searching this thread and didn't see shit either.
Appreciate 1
Sethhboii1315.50
      10-07-2022, 10:18 AM   #122
Sethhboii
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
As soon as you said VIN I franticly started searching this thread and didn't see shit either.
Lmao! I went back to re-read cause I saw the edits. Oh well
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 10:29 AM   #123
donm527
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Z06

Quote:
Absolutely right, but believe me there are plenty of ugly buildings and ugly cars…all designed by Designers lol
I'm new to BMWs so this video may have been seen by people here already but just discovered this while trying to wrap my head around the latest BMW designs... trying to fully buy in on the M240i design to order one and hanging in the G42/G87 section and found this video from a guy says use to be a BMW designer. Liked his M240i video too and I must be old school but I agree with him completely. BMW is taking basic design theory and decades or BMW design language and thrown it out the window with lines and shapes that don't make sense. Call it being bold and there is a chance that some designs will grow on people. But there are designers that will not age well at all but only time will tell.

Appreciate 1
thurston215.00
      10-07-2022, 10:32 AM   #124
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
Quote:
Absolutely right, but believe me there are plenty of ugly buildings and ugly cars…all designed by Designers lol
I'm new to BMWs so this video may have been seen by people here already but just discovered this while trying to wrap my head around the latest BMW designs... trying to fully buy in on the M240i design to order one and hanging in the G42/G87 section and found this video from a guy says use to be a BMW designer. Liked his M240i video too and I must be old school but I agree with him completely. BMW is taking basic design theory and decades or BMW design language and thrown it out the window with lines and shapes that don't make sense. Call it being bold and there is a chance that some designs will grow on people. But there are designers that will not age well at all but only time will tell.

People love to usher in that line, but it's biased in its reasoning and it suggests that people and their tastes are static. It's flawed, and it's not the first time a designer has said that and been proven wrong. BMW hasn't thrown anything out the window. Their designers and their ideas change right along with the people buying the cars. We aren't robots! In the late 1990's/early 2000's BMW was ridiculed heavily for having cars that all looked the same with no individual personality; commonly referred to as the "same sausage, different length" syndrome. No matter what they do, there will always be people who are dissatisfied.
Appreciate 5
khanyam4803.00
MrFoxy376.50
Dr.Deep1827.00
      10-07-2022, 10:37 AM   #125
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
That XM review is old and based on the prototype. The XM that was revealed last week is a very different car. I'd like to see him do a new review on the production version. Also looking forward to hearing his thoughts on the G87.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 10:45 AM   #126
Puppetz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

I think the comments on the G87 are wide ranging. What is clear however, is that BMW did NOT hit it out of the park with this one. So much potential to do so. I'll let you folks decide where you are on the graph. I think I am somewhere around 'Anger'.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 10:46 AM   #127
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetz View Post
I think the comments on the G87 are wide ranging. What is clear however, is that BMW did NOT hit it out of the park with this one. So much potential to do so. I'll let you folks decide where you are on the graph. I think I am somewhere around 'Anger'.
How is that "clear" when people haven't yet been given the chance to speak with their dollars?!?! Everybody wants to be a prophet.
Appreciate 1
khanyam4803.00
      10-07-2022, 10:48 AM   #128
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Quote:
I will be getting Toronto Red. There's no point in delaying. With how hard allocations are to come by and the resale values on these, I have no problem with getting a launch m2 and then let's say individual / LCI comes out later I will simply trade in for the same price I paid for and spec a new one

no brainer really
I begrudgingly agree
If I delay... I'm kicking the can hoping something may or may not be offered later. And then more waiting

One in the hand.

Is Toronto Red orangey? Or bloody?
I think I like Melbourne Red from an E92 M3 I saw in person.

It's unsettling having to settle with a $70G car
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 10:50 AM   #129
donm527
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Z06

Quote:
That XM review is old and based on the prototype. The XM that was revealed last week is a very different car. I'd like to see him do a new review on the production version. Also looking forward to hearing his thoughts on the G87.
Yea I know design has to grow and evolve and other mentioned taste can't be static. I'm just a old generation I guess and the previous gen M cars or M1 really gets me my excitement for the brand. But it wasn't then I was in the market and now am and finding it tough (not interested in used car btw).

I saw a lot of people excited on the official XM pics but honestly it does nothing for me with that front end... the illuminated grill looks silly and the headlights to squinty. Again I must be old school. My sis just bought an X5 few months ago and I like that and prefer that design over the XM
Appreciate 1
Tag18412.00
      10-07-2022, 10:50 AM   #130
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetz View Post
I'm off the chart into 'don't give a toss' territory. Not because I don't care about the car, but because not planning on getting it until LCI. There's a slight chance they correct some of the things we don't like, then again there's just as good a chance they make things worse!

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 10:51 AM   #131
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I had the DCT but I read it only added 40lbs. If I still had the car I'd gladly go weigh it for fun. Either way, I wish they didn't keep force feeding their smallest ///M car because it's not far off the G8X now
DCT is around 40-50 kg more than manual
M2 F87 & M3 F80weights are identical, M2C is actually heavier
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 10:52 AM   #132
Luca Riffer
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Next gen M2 vs 1M

After seeing the new M2 pics and reading the thread comments, I went out to the parking lot and patted my 1M VO. Such a nice rear end, such a growling front end, and weighs in at 3300 lbs. It seems that M Division magic from 2011 has yet to be recaptured.
Appreciate 1
MmmmmM22598.00