bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior, Interior, Lighting)

10-14-2022, 02:27 AM   #23
idontsave
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
Sure but I’d Ike to see if maybe there is a much deeper gloss or wet look?? Or look plastic? Or look different and noticeable compared to the parts not PPF’d if you don’t go with full coverage?

Sorry I am new to this. Too much to ask?
Deeper gloss and wet look would come from ceramic coating. Regular clear PPF is intended to be as invisible as possible, minus some hidden seams that you shouldn't be able to see unless you look very closely.
      10-14-2022, 02:35 AM   #24
idontsave
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInSalt View Post
They're going to just look like the car.
Sure but I'd Ike to see if maybe there is a much deeper gloss or wet look?? Or look plastic? Or look different and noticeable compared to the parts not PPF'd if you don't go with full coverage?

Sorry I am new to this. Too much to ask?
Here you go. Top picture is right after I had PPF installed on the full front and bottom is after I got it coated.
Attached Images

Coconut771.50
DrJLag420799.00
apez668.00
      10-14-2022, 02:53 PM   #25
donm527
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Z06

Wow. Looks fanatastic, thanks. Don't think I can get that kind of deep wet look from waxinig a polishing. I have a 2001 Z06 bought new and always been a hand carnuba wax/glaze person researching PPF and coating.

I think can see the diff between the two before and after coating. Seems like its the coating that creates the gloss and seems to look pretty even between the PPF'd front and the non front quarter panel.

I live in South Florida so always bugs hittiing car and we have lovebugs to deal with and don't think I could spend 8k for a full job but think I want to protect the front end of my next car. Thx again.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 07:33 PM   #26
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Quote:
Wow. Looks fanatastic, thanks. Don't think I can get that kind of deep wet look from waxinig a polishing. I have a 2001 Z06 bought new and always been a hand carnuba wax/glaze person researching PPF and coating.

I think can see the diff between the two before and after coating. Seems like its the coating that creates the gloss and seems to look pretty even between the PPF'd front and the non front quarter panel.

I live in South Florida so always bugs hittiing car and we have lovebugs to deal with and don't think I could spend 8k for a full job but think I want to protect the front end of my next car. Thx again.
I did a full detail on my Miata last month. No PPF. No Ceramic (professional install). I did use some Griot's ceramic wax and spray. But that's fool proof compared to Professional Ceramics. And a lot cheaper. But doesn't last as long. Maybe 6-12 months. Took a lot of my time. I think it was worth it. Self-Healing PPF provides protection though.

Here are the results:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
PP3121360.50
      10-14-2022, 09:38 PM   #27
idontsave
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJLag420 View Post
Quote:

I did a full detail on my Miata last month. No PPF. No Ceramic (professional install). I did use some Griot's ceramic wax and spray. But that's fool proof compared to Professional Ceramics. And a lot cheaper. But doesn't last as long. Maybe 6-12 months. Took a lot of my time. I think it was worth it. Self-Healing PPF provides protection thought.

Here are the results:
I've heard from a lot of professional dealers that they tend to go this route and just continuously upkeep it. Seems to work well for them but they also have access to a full array of supplies for polishing, etc. if any panel ever needs some extra love.

Personally, I barely trust myself to even properly do a contact wash and every time I reapply a sacrificial layer of ceramic sealant I get paranoid that I'm introducing swirls. PPF and ceramic coating allows for my OCD to relax a bit more

Would have loved to do PPF on the whole car but it gets expensive fast. Full front, mirrors, and rockers does the job for the most part.
PP3121360.50
DrJLag420799.00
      10-15-2022, 06:53 AM   #28
PP3121
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontsave View Post
Personally, I barely trust myself to even properly do a contact wash and every time I reapply a sacrificial layer of ceramic sealant I get paranoid that I'm introducing swirls. PPF and ceramic coating allows for my OCD to relax a bit more

Would have loved to do PPF on the whole car but it gets expensive fast. Full front, mirrors, and rockers does the job for the most part.
My feelings precisely although I am trying to learn and gain confidence to do some of this detailing on my own. Probably not the car to learn on, but it's what I have now!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 07:08 AM   #29
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP3121 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontsave View Post

My feelings precisely although I am trying to learn and gain confidence to do some of this detailing on my own. Probably not the car to learn on, but it's what I have now!
Something so rewarding about doing your own full detail job. When it's complete, standing back and saying 'Wow!'

If you want to keep your paint 'naked' which I mean no PPF/no Pro ceramic, I would recommend investing in a nice random/dual action polisher(some call it an orbital). These are designed to be safe on clear coats/paints. So no burning of the surface. Invest is some polishing pads and waxing pads. The pads actually do most of the work when doing correction with polishes. Using a light polish or all-in-one (contains polish and wax also referred to as one-step) is great for starters. Always start with the least aggressive pad/polish combo to start. Test a spot and using a swirl light see if the correction removes the defects you are targeting. A simple $10 LED light usually gets job done. Get a nice clay bar and detailer spray before doing any work with the orbital. New synthetic clays are awesome and easier to use. You want to get rid of any surface containments before moving on to polishing/waxing. Also, after polishing, it's best to use a degreaser/cleanser to prep the surface for wax. It's basically isopropyl alcohol. The wax will last a lot longer as it has a proper surface to adhere. Finally, when you wash your car, always use the two bucket method. One to soap up your sponge and the other for rinsing/shaking of dirt and debris. Two sponges/mitts. One for above the 'equator' of the car and one for below. Also, I use a separate bucket and wash tools for my wheels. Good luck with deciding on how you want to detail that new ride! Cheers!
Appreciate 2
      10-16-2022, 12:33 PM   #30
PP3121
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Something so rewarding about doing your own full detail job. When it's complete, standing back and saying 'Wow!'

If you want to keep your paint 'naked' which I mean no PPF/no Pro ceramic, I would recommend investing in a nice random/dual action polisher(some call it an orbital). These are designed to be safe on clear coats/paints. So no burning of the surface. Invest is some polishing pads and waxing pads. The pads actually do most of the work when doing correction with polishes. Using a light polish or all-in-one (contains polish and wax also referred to as one-step) is great for starters. Always start with the least aggressive pad/polish combo to start. Test a spot and using a swirl light see if the correction removes the defects you are targeting. A simple $10 LED light usually gets job done. Get a nice clay bar and detailer spray before doing any work with the orbital. New synthetic clays are awesome and easier to use. You want to get rid of any surface containments before moving on to polishing/waxing. Also, after polishing, it's best to use a degreaser/cleanser to prep the surface for wax. It's basically isopropyl alcohol. The wax will last a lot longer as it has a proper surface to adhere. Finally, when you wash your car, always use the two bucket method. One to soap up your sponge and the other for rinsing/shaking of dirt and debris. Two sponges/mitts. One for above the 'equator' of the car and one for below. Also, I use a separate bucket and wash tools for my wheels. Good luck with deciding on how you want to detail that new ride! Cheers!
I wish I could give you more than 1 appreciation for the write up! This is super helpful for me. I am in the process of trying to put together a detailing kit since my old cleaners have gone right in the trash!

I have copied , pasted, and printed your instructions/suggestions.

Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 12:38 PM   #31
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP3121 View Post
Quote:

I wish I could give you more than 1 appreciation for the write up! This is super helpful for me. I am in the process of trying to put together a detailing kit since my old cleaners have gone right in the trash!

I have copied , pasted, and printed your instructions/suggestions.

Much appreciated!
My pleasure. If you have any questions, let me know. I'll do my best to help you on any detailing info I can provide. Cheers! And happy motoring!
Appreciate 1
PP3121360.50
      10-23-2022, 12:40 AM   #32
eli371
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i

I opted for PPF on the full front end (full hood, bumper, side mirrors, fenders)
no seams.
I did a full ceramic coat as well.
Well worth it if you plan on keeping the car for 4+ years I would say.
'22 m240i
Appreciate 2
      10-23-2022, 02:28 AM   #33
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Having my previous cars PPF’s and a few ceramic coated, i’m going to go PPF in the front bumper and headlights only. I’ll be applying ceramic coat myself which only costs like $80 for the kit. Paying $1000-1500 for pro grade ceramic coat isn’t worth it IMO. You’re still going to get micro swirls eventually from regular washes and if you get a scratch, paint correction will just polish off the ceramic coating.
Appreciate 2
      12-28-2022, 10:51 PM   #34
fortysecond
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 230i, Thundernight Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
Having my previous cars PPF’s and a few ceramic coated, i’m going to go PPF in the front bumper and headlights only. I’ll be applying ceramic coat myself which only costs like $80 for the kit. Paying $1000-1500 for pro grade ceramic coat isn’t worth it IMO. You’re still going to get micro swirls eventually from regular washes and if you get a scratch, paint correction will just polish off the ceramic coating.
Coconut, Sorry If I missed something but how much did you pay for PPF of the front (if you don't mind sharing that)? Thanks!

Last edited by fortysecond; 12-30-2022 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 06:01 AM   #35
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysecond View Post
Coconut, Sorry If I missed something but how much did you pay for PPF of the front (if you don't mind sharing that)? Thanks!
Sorry for the late response. I paid $1500 for entire front bumper (includes all grill surrounds), headlights, partial hood, partial fenders, A-pillars and mirror caps. They use Llumar Valor which is basically Suntek Ultra which ceramic. This was done at 68 Detail in Milpitas.
      01-16-2023, 12:07 PM   #36
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

I invested in neither. Instead I bought a monthly membership to a near-by tunnel car wash.
Appreciate 2
PP3121360.50
Caerus534.50
      01-16-2023, 12:19 PM   #37
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Ended up doing PPF on the below. Bumper was done in November, the bottom 3 items get done on 2/4.

Front bumper
Full hood
Kidneys
Headlights

Considering doing the side skirts as I have a feeling they'll be scratched badly within a year.

I got CQuartz ceramic coating for Xmas which I plan to do myself in the spring. Entire car, wheels and calipers.
Appreciate 1
PP3121360.50
      01-16-2023, 12:28 PM   #38
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Curious how many of you that spend all this time and money on PPF and ceramic park in first available regular parking spots?
Appreciate 1
PP3121360.50
      01-16-2023, 01:41 PM   #39
KJ10
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
Curious how many of you that spend all this time and money on PPF and ceramic park in first available regular parking spots?
I usually just park in the handicap spaces. It has the BMW badge so I should be good, right?
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2023, 07:30 AM   #40
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I park a mile away everywhere I go, and park in the garage at home. I currently have my BRZ still and that's what I take food shopping or anywhere that has a moderate ding risk.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 09:35 AM   #41
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
I park a mile away everywhere I go, and park in the garage at home. I currently have my BRZ still and that's what I take food shopping or anywhere that has a moderate ding risk.
I pretty much do the same. Never double-park, but I'll park in the back 40. Besides, walking is good exercise.
Appreciate 2
MPR1820.50
PP3121360.50
      01-17-2023, 10:05 AM   #42
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
I pretty much do the same. Never double-park, but I'll park in the back 40. Besides, walking is good exercise.
Yeah, double parking is asking for someone to vandalize your car, even if you're parked in the nosebleeds.

Once in a while you'll get someone in a 95 Tercel that decides to park next to you parked far away, I always wonder if they are breaking balls, it's completely random, or if they feel their car is special
Appreciate 1
PP3121360.50
      01-17-2023, 10:45 AM   #43
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

I always laugh at people who park far away. It's especially comical to me that 2 series drivers would do it
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 12:01 PM   #44
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInSalt View Post
I always laugh at people who park far away. It's especially comical to me that 2 series drivers would do it
Cool. Park up close along with the general population/soccer moms and let's see who has more scratches and dings over time.

It's not about having a "more than a 2 series" car or to show off, if that's where your head is going. It's to get away from idiots that have no consideration for other people's cars. I did the same thing with my BRZ, which still has no dings and looks no where close to 9 years old.

If you're someone who leases, you may not care as much about this.
Appreciate 1
MrPickles206.50