home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

01-25-2024, 01:09 PM   #1
lachyn
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix '24 G42

Dynamic high beam lights question

I would like to ask the owners with adaptive dynamic lights with the "Selective Beam" function how their high beams behave in automatic mode. I'm used to matrix led lights from VW, where the cone of light is evenly spread across the width of the road, with the fact that when an oncoming vehicle approaches, the individual segments of the lights go out and the oncoming car seems to be shaded out. BMW lights behave quite strangely to me. A strong beam of light seems to dance in the front center, which is quite stronger than the rest of the illuminated space in front of the car, and this strong beam always goes out when an oncoming vehicle approaches. However, the occurrence of some shading is not as significant as with the VW. I want to ask if this is standard behavior and if this is how BMW implements dynamic led headlights. I find the dancing stronger beam very distracting, but it's possible that I'm concentrating on it now too much now and I was expecting the same behavior as I'm used to with VW.

Options are:
S552 - Adaptive LED Headlight
S5AC - High-Beam Assistant
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 02:07 PM   #2
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Different lights. BMW are not matrix led.
You’re not comparing the same things.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 08:22 PM   #3
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Yeah what you are seeing is just high beams, with that focused brightness area dead center, not sure what the formal name is. High beams turn off entirely when the car detects another car.

On ID7, not sure about ID8, you can code BMW’s equivalent to matrix lights, it’s called anti dazzle or no dazzle as referred to on the window sticker as a decoded option in the US. I coded this over the summer with BimmerCode and it works quite well. Sections of light turn off to not blind other vehicles while the remaining areas remain with high beam light.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 02:00 AM   #4
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
Yeah what you are seeing is just high beams, with that focused brightness area dead center, not sure what the formal name is. High beams turn off entirely when the car detects another car.

On ID7, not sure about ID8, you can code BMW’s equivalent to matrix lights, it’s called anti dazzle or no dazzle as referred to on the window sticker as a decoded option in the US. I coded this over the summer with BimmerCode and it works quite well. Sections of light turn off to not blind other vehicles while the remaining areas remain with high beam light.
I don’t think that’s how high beam assist it works. I think the high beam either dips or moves slightly. Portions of the light are not switchable like matrix lights are.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 09:39 AM   #5
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
I don’t think that’s how high beam assist it works. I think the high beam either dips or moves slightly. Portions of the light are not switchable like matrix lights are.
Agreed, high beam assist is essentially just automatic toggling on and off of high beams.

OP is asking how BMW lights function compared to the Audi matrix lights that he’s used to. High beam assist does not replicate matrix, but anti dazzle does.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 10:41 AM   #6
lachyn
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, high beam assist is essentially just automatic toggling on and off of high beams.

OP is asking how BMW lights function compared to the Audi matrix lights that he’s used to. High beam assist does not replicate matrix, but anti dazzle does.
Since I'm from the EU and I have a choice from the factory - S552 - Adaptive LED Headlight - I think this is the "anti-dazzle" function. I observed it again today and it really comes down to dynamic shading of oncoming vehicles, but what really irritates me is the strong beam of high beams in the form of a fast dancing rectangle that shines that shines very prominently in the middle and reacts to the movement of the steering wheel. The same behavior occurs even if I turn on the high beams manually, so this is not related to anti-dazzle. It's probably a function of the dynamic cornering lights, but why on earth the main beam doesn't shine equally strongly in the entire wide spectrum of the road and the surrounding area, I really don't understand. I find it very distracting and keep my eye on the dancing rectangle in the middle.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 10:46 AM   #7
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyn View Post
Since I'm from the EU and I have a choice from the factory - S552 - Adaptive LED Headlight - I think this is the "anti-dazzle" function. I observed it again today and it really comes down to dynamic shading of oncoming vehicles, but what really irritates me is the strong beam of high beams in the form of a fast dancing rectangle that shines at points in the middle and probably reacts to the movement of the steering wheel. The same behavior occurs even if I turn on the high beams manually, so this is probably not related to anti-dazzle. It's probably a function of the dynamic cornering lights, but why on earth the main beam doesn't shine equally strongly in the entire wide spectrum of the road and the surrounding area, I really don't understand. I find it very distracting and keep my eye on the dancing rectangle in the middle.ctory.
Are you referring to the vertical rectangle of brighter light that is focused dead center when high beams are on? I find this odd too, I am guessing they have magnifiers focusing the light to make up that shape to help brighten it up a bit. The headlights always react to your steering, it’s not only with that weird rectangle.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 11:00 AM   #8
lachyn
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Are you referring to the vertical rectangle of brighter light that is focused dead center when high beams are on? I find this odd too, I am guessing they have magnifiers focusing the light to make up that shape to help brighten it up a bit. The headlights always react to your steering, it’s not only with that weird rectangle.
that's it, with normal dimmed lights, the turning lights behave naturally, but as you described it well, I'm bothered by the rectangle of brighter light that is associated with high beam lights. So I understand that it's not a problem, but a feature I apologize for the stupid questions, but it's my first BMW and I find it strange that the LED headlights of the 2024 BMW do not reach the same quality as my wife's 2018 VW... The quality of "lane assist" is just as sad but I won't get into it, I didn't buy an inline six because of these gimmicks 500Nm completely erases all the shortcomings.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2024, 11:05 AM   #9
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

lachyn I don’t think the 2 series has true lane assist (in the US at least), it’s more of a warning to the driver that they are drifting out of the lane. It’s a 2 series so you don’t get some of the tech that the higher series cars get.

The headlights are ok, I find those in my S2000 were the best I’ve ever had, granted, with no tech/self leveling etc.
Appreciate 0