home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

01-27-2024, 09:08 AM   #1
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 Series (G42)

Shipping block?

Noticed my ride felt a bit harsh and road noise was more than expected. Also can’t really feel the difference in adaptive suspension between comfort and sport.

Quick picture of the rear suspension

Is this black thing a shipping block?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 09:13 AM   #2
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Adding an addition photo

I don’t thing the black thing was a shipping block but just check my front shock absorber and… that’s one there right?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 12:23 PM   #3
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

They are not shipping blocks.
Photo for reference here:
https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=37

You may be confusing adaptive suspension with the stiffer damper settings associated with comfort/sport damper selections.
Adaptive suspension constantly errr adapts depending on the road and driving style. Sport /comfort modes sitffen the dampers depending on the mode selected.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 12:25 PM   #4
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
They are not shipping blocks.
Photo for reference here:
https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=37

You may be confusing adaptive suspension with the stiffer damper settings associated with comfort/sport damper selections.
Adaptive suspension constantly errr adapts depending on the road and driving style. Sport /comfort modes sitffen the dampers depending on the mode selected.
Yeah I mean the sport/comfort modes the My24 car doesn’t have the adaptive mode anymore but as it does have the adaptive suspension option the dampers have the comfort and sport setting is what I mean.
Didn’t feel much of a difference between them.

But confirmed this isn’t shipping blocked I believe the white thing is to keep the boot over the shock absorber from lifting.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 12:42 PM   #5
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmoretea View Post
Yeah I mean the sport/comfort modes the My24 car doesn’t have the adaptive mode anymore but as it does have the adaptive suspension option the dampers have the comfort and sport setting is what I mean.
Didn’t feel much of a difference between them.

M Adaptive suspension is a £500+ option. There is no button for it anymore. It’s always working. Did you spec it?

From the book….
“The M Adaptive Suspension further increases the vehicle's dynamic potential with a stiffer spring and damper setup.

The increased sportiness comes without compromise to driving comfort thanks to electronically-controlled dampers with individual control for each wheel.

Features a corresponding setup of elasto/kinematics (higher camber angle, body measures for increased rigidity).

A change of setup can be made depending on the position of Drive Performance Control (for example, more dynamic/agile driving behaviour in 'Sport' mode). Also features an extension of Drive Performance Control with Adaptive mode (situational adaptation of damping forces).”
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 12:47 PM   #6
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
M Adaptive suspension is a £500+ option. There is no button for it anymore. It’s always working. Did you spec it?

From the book….
“The M Adaptive Suspension further increases the vehicle's dynamic potential with a stiffer spring and damper setup.

The increased sportiness comes without compromise to driving comfort thanks to electronically-controlled dampers with individual control for each wheel.

Features a corresponding setup of elasto/kinematics (higher camber angle, body measures for increased rigidity).

A change of setup can be made depending on the position of Drive Performance Control (for example, more dynamic/agile driving behaviour in 'Sport' mode). Also features an extension of Drive Performance Control with Adaptive mode (situational adaptation of damping forces).”
Yeah we’re sorta talking about two different things here. I did spec the adaptive suspension option.

On the MY22 cars they had a drive mode or (drive performance control) called adaptive mode. I don’t really know exactly what that did but that’s gone now. The other feature of the adaptive suspension is depending on if you’re in comfort or sport it stiffens the damping too. And in sport individual I can see the option to change between the two.

I can certainly feel a difference just not as pronounced as I was expecting.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 12:58 PM   #7
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah we’re sorta talking about two different things here. I did spec the adaptive suspension option.

On the MY22 cars they had a drive mode or (drive performance control) called adaptive mode. I don’t really know exactly what that did but that’s gone now. The other feature of the adaptive suspension is depending on if you’re in comfort or sport it stiffens the damping too. And in sport individual I can see the option to change between the two.

I can certainly feel a difference just not as pronounced as I was expecting.
No, you are mixing up two things.
Adaptive suspension is different from adaptive dampers.

Adaptive suspension is a cost option. It used to have a button. I’d does not now. It is always operational and its effect is dependent on road conditions and driving style.

Adaptive dampers are selectable depending on driving mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 01:01 PM   #8
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No, you are mixing up two things.
Adaptive suspension is different from adaptive dampers.

Adaptive suspension is a cost option. It used to have a button. I’d does not now. It is always operational and its effect is dependent on road conditions and driving style.

Adaptive dampers are selectable depending on driving mode.
The option for adaptive suspension is what gives you the adaptive dampers. For cars without the adaptive suspension option you cannot change the damper setting between comfort and sport.

And yes I have the option

Yes a feature of adaptive suspension is that it’s always adjusting but you can then select the damper setting sport/comfort to stiffen.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 01:27 PM   #9
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The option for adaptive suspension is what gives you the adaptive dampers. For cars without the adaptive suspension option you cannot change the damper setting between comfort and sport.

And yes I have the option

Yes a feature of adaptive suspension is that it’s always adjusting but you can then select the damper setting sport/comfort to stiffen.

Your first and last statements seem to conflict.

The damper setting will change between comfort and sport but if you didn’t spec M adaptive suspension, it won’t be adaptive it will be set stiffer or otherwise depending on drive mode.

I’m done now - just enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 01:44 PM   #10
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

The damper setting will change between comfort and sport but if you didn’t spec M adaptive suspension, it won’t be adaptive it will be set stiffer or otherwise depending on drive mode.

Dude…

The £500 option for adaptive suspension gives you the dampers which switch between comfort and sport depending on drive mode. I don’t know how much clearer I can be.

You cannot do this unless you have the adaptive suspension option.

The adaptive suspension is the adaptive dampers!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 04:48 PM   #11
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

See
Attached Images

Appreciate 0