01-14-2024, 02:54 PM   #1
corihill92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Garage List
2023 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Limiter

Long story short, I wasn't aware that there was a speed limiter difference between the tire options when I purchased my 23 m240i.

I'm looking to see if there's a way to tune the limiter out of the car. Just don't Want to sink a lot in mods if it's not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 03:50 PM   #2
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

I am not sure but you might want to look into BimmerUtility or E-SYS coding in general. You MIGHT be able to “unlock” the speed limiter but that would only unlock 150mph (from the 130 lock you get when optioning non-performance tires). Essentially by telling the car that you optioned performance or high-performance tires.

The only other way would be to tune the car. This would unlock over 150+mph. Due to encrytion, we currently don’t have at-home tuning. You have to remove the ECU and have it unlocked FEMTO style. But then you’ll have the ability to get a lot more power by tuning if that’s what you’re after
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2024, 04:46 PM   #3
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

dealer cant even change your limit from 130 to 150 you have to bench unlock and tune the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 05:08 PM   #4
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Just curious; if you intend to “ sink a lot in mods” and, guessing by the request about the capped speed, why didn’t you spec non run flats or even the ZKT pack?
RFT tyres as standard must have been a red flag?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 07:23 PM   #5
corihill92
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Just curious; if you intend to “ sink a lot in mods” and, guessing by the request about the capped speed, why didn’t you spec non run flats or even the ZKT pack?
RFT tyres as standard must have been a red flag?
Well I wasn't planning on doing a lot to it. I've never owned a BMW until this one, I've always had SRTs. So I had no clue about the limiters. I was talking about ordering one until I was told the wait time, then found one someone else ordered and backed out of. I didn't even think to check the tire package because mopar basically just says fuck it and sends everything. 🙃
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 07:43 PM   #6
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by corihill92 View Post
Well I wasn't planning on doing a lot to it. I've never owned a BMW until this one, I've always had SRTs. So I had no clue about the limiters. I was talking about ordering one until I was told the wait time, then found one someone else ordered and backed out of. I didn't even think to check the tire package because mopar basically just says fuck it and sends everything. 🙃

You will need a femto unlock and ecu tune to gain the extra mphs (and say bye bye to your warranty).

What are your plans that you need to have the limiter removed? If its just so you have a car that "can" go faster than it should on the streets, save your time and money and keep your warranty.
Appreciate 3
Haneef13.50
PP3121360.50
      01-15-2024, 11:11 AM   #7
corihill92
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
You will need a femto unlock and ecu tune to gain the extra mphs (and say bye bye to your warranty).

What are your plans that you need to have the limiter removed? If its just so you have a car that "can" go faster than it should on the streets, save your time and money and keep your warranty.
Not a whole lot of plans set in stone right now. I've only had it for a hair over 2 months. After seeing what it would cost to do all that though I'd rather sell it and buy an M2 for a bit more and be happy from factory with a warranty. I should've just done more research on it before pulling the trigger. I'm just used to being able to hit 160 on the freeway if I felt like it in my challenger. Hell I never even hit top speed in that lmao.
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201843.50
      01-15-2024, 12:06 PM   #8
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Not a whole lot of plans set in stone right now. I've only had it for a hair over 2 months. After seeing what it would cost to do all that though I'd rather sell it and buy an M2 for a bit more and be happy from factory with a warranty. I should've just done more research on it before pulling the trigger. I'm just used to being able to hit 160 on the freeway if I felt like it in my challenger. Hell I never even hit top speed in that lmao.

Glad I dont live (or drive) in Ohio...
Appreciate 5
Pentland1747.00
SDKevin85.00
Rdurty2693.00
grooveK115.50
      01-15-2024, 02:15 PM   #9
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

M2 hell any m car is limited to 155 as well unless you do the optional lift to 177 I think for m2 it's 2500 atm.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 02:20 PM   #10
corihill92
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Glad I dont live (or drive) in Ohio...
I mean, nobody wants to live in ohio but why now?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 02:34 PM   #11
SDKevin
Cone Killer
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i, Ducati 1299S

Quote:
I mean, nobody wants to live in ohio but why now?
If you want to drive at 160, do it on a track.
Appreciate 4
      01-15-2024, 06:01 PM   #12
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKevin View Post
Why are people always so anal about this? We buy performance cars, who the fuck is going to drive them doing the speed limit. Sometimes in the Midwest, highways are just open for miles and hitting these speeds is not really that big of a deal if you know how to drive
Appreciate 3
      01-15-2024, 06:55 PM   #13
Maxp
Rep
Drives: M240i

Have non of you driven in South Florida? There are no traffic laws down there!
Appreciate 1
zerep139.50
      01-15-2024, 06:57 PM   #14
corihill92
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
Why are people always so anal about this? We buy performance cars, who the fuck is going to drive them doing the speed limit. Sometimes in the Midwest, highways are just open for miles and hitting these speeds is not really that big of a deal if you know how to drive
This. I just laugh at them.
Appreciate 1
zerep139.50
      01-15-2024, 07:53 PM   #15
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: (G42) m240ix

Garage List
Lightbulb

Quote:
Long story short, I wasn't aware that there was a speed limiter difference between the tire options when I purchased my 23 m240i.

I'm looking to see if there's a way to tune the limiter out of the car. Just don't Want to sink a lot in mods if it's not worth it.
Can't you can just go to the live vehicle app and change the tire speed settings to be > 100 mph manually there, or are we talking about a different Vmax setting here?

I bought my '23 m240ix fully kitted out with the ZTK package with Pilot Sports along with a set of winter tires. Come to find out that there was a manual setting to increase the speed limiter, which also increases the recommended tire pressure in the tire pressure monitor under the live vehicle app. I didn't realize this until playing around with the tire settings in iDrive a lot later. I've currently set my winter tires to the higher speed limiter mostly for consistency and cosmetics though I haven't really gone that speed.

Also I bought bimer code on black friday and as far as I can see in the generic configurables, there is no way to raise the speed limit from that.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 02:07 AM   #16
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeBimmers View Post
Can't you can just go to the live vehicle app and change the tire speed settings to be > 100 mph manually there, or are we talking about a different Vmax setting here?

I bought my '23 m240ix fully kitted out with the ZTK package with Pilot Sports along with a set of winter tires. Come to find out that there was a manual setting to increase the speed limiter, which also increases the recommended tire pressure in the tire pressure monitor under the live vehicle app. I didn't realize this until playing around with the tire settings in iDrive a lot later. I've currently set my winter tires to the higher speed limiter mostly for consistency and cosmetics though I haven't really gone that speed.

Also I bought bimer code on black friday and as far as I can see in the generic configurables, there is no way to raise the speed limit from that.
I think that’s just the speed rating of the tyres.
Be aware of the speed rating for your winter tyres. The recommended BMW tyres are H speed rated. And to be fair, why would you even be considering in speed like that in winter?
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2024, 09:47 AM   #17
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think that’s just the speed rating of the tyres.
After changing the setting to > 100 it changed the recommended tire pressure and increased the Vmax.

Quote:
Be aware of the speed rating for your winter tyres. The recommended BMW tyres are H speed rated. And to be fair, why would you even be considering in speed like that in winter?
"I've currently set my winter tires to the higher speed limiter mostly for consistency and cosmetics though I haven't really gone that speed."

I did it mainly out of curiosity in case a question like this came up . The Michelin X-ice snow's aren't even rated for the raised Vmax speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 10:32 AM   #18
AlexC2er
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i RWD

Quote:
Bruh that is stupid speed in the freeway. Save it for the track
Appreciate 2
Pentland1747.00
Rdurty2693.00
      01-16-2024, 11:41 AM   #19
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ok, this is interesting information for me. I've been annoyed that my vehicle is calling for rather ridiculous recommended tire pressures, 43PSI front, 48PSI rear. There's no way I'm putting 48 in the rear, I'm currently around 40 for all 4.

I have my tires set to winter, and speed >100mph. Although IIRC my winter tires are 130MPH rated (X-Ice Snow), doing 100mph anywhere except 2 highways in Canada constitutes a >50km/h speeding violation which can result in a loss of license for a rather long period, plus they take your car (or maybe crush it in Ontario).

So, I think I can change my speed setting in the tire settings and see if it quits requesting I put the tire pressure up that high. The little "i" in the bottom right of the gauge cluster is slightly bothersome, although not as bad as the low pressure warning that spans half the gauge cluster. She's high maintenance, lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 11:55 AM   #20
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
Ok, this is interesting information for me. I've been annoyed that my vehicle is calling for rather ridiculous recommended tire pressures...
Before I set the > 100 manual settings the TPMS monitor was calling for the tire pressures close to those listed on the driver side door which are around the mid 30s. After setting it to the raised Vmax the TPMS asked for psi in the 40s and put out a low tire pressure warning as I drove to the local Costco to fill up on free nitrogen.

If you want the raised Vmax and don't fill up within margin of error, the car will probably end up bitching about it nonstop .
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 12:25 PM   #21
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKevin View Post
The correct comment should be in the correct environment.

For example: There is a massive difference between an unrestricted autobahn and most other high speed roads. Their design is a step above. They are incredibly level for a start and the surface finish is impeccable. Can’t say that for UK motorways or any US road I’ve been on.
In addition, German drivers in particular are very well educated and practiced in their use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
Why are people always so anal about this? We buy performance cars, who the fuck is going to drive them doing the speed limit.
Hmmmm….

Quote:
This. I just laugh at them.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 10:27 AM   #22
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I really don't think this is doing what you think it is. Your car already had the increased speed limiter. If the car doesn't have the increased limiter, you can't just change the tire settings and increase the limit from 130 to 155.
Appreciate 1
Pentland1747.00