home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

01-18-2024, 11:47 PM   #1
Gravityct
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G42

Break In question

M240i factory recommended 1200mi light duty before gradually increasing load etc and a oil change at 10k

M2 recommends 1200mi oil change light duty etc. As well if Im recalling correctly replacing the diff fluid.

My question is why is this? What are the differences between the engines and diffs metallurgically etc that would require the interval recommendations to be different.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 12:30 AM   #2
baron95
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

S58 (M2) is running a lot more boost, producing a lot more power, has a higher redline, etc. It also has a lot more grip (suspension, tires). So the drive train (engine, e-diff) is more stressed. Therefore there is an early (1,200 mi) engine and diff fluid change.

Simple as that. If you think you are really going to stress your 240i, you can do an engine and ediff fluid at 1,200 miles as well. I have done that with every new car that I plan on tracking, with good results.

But, you don't need to stress so much about this. Most of us keep our cars 3-4 years. I see people paranoid with procedures and PPF this and ceramic coat that.

Just drive and enjoy the car. It is a fun, but depreciating asset, not a museum piece.
      01-19-2024, 09:10 AM   #3
Gravityct
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G42

Oh not stressing about, just mild curiosity. I wasn't sure how different the internals were between the components, that would effect there rate of wear, to the point one would need to be fluid flushed before the other. I'd assume since both engines were "babied" up to the 1200 miles the internal stresses wouldn't come into play as much, especially since the break in oil should only be carrying random manufacturing FOD and the fine contamination from surfaces burnishing and mating to one another. It was leading me to think the M cars engine was a bit tighter toleranced leading to more friction or different metals were used. Again, just idle curiosity.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 09:54 AM   #4
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravityct View Post
Oh not stressing about, just mild curiosity. I wasn't sure how different the internals were between the components, that would effect there rate of wear, to the point one would need to be fluid flushed before the other. I'd assume since both engines were "babied" up to the 1200 miles the internal stresses wouldn't come into play as much, especially since the break in oil should only be carrying random manufacturing FOD and the fine contamination from surfaces burnishing and mating to one another. It was leading me to think the M cars engine was a bit tighter toleranced leading to more friction or different metals were used. Again, just idle curiosity.
Back in late Dec. I had the oil in my new 2024 BMW 230i xDrive changed at around 600 miles. I had the tech capture a sample of the old oil and new oil. Then I had them both analyzed.

Link to the thread I started about this:

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2074893

Several things I noted from the analysis. One was the viscosity at 100C of the old oil had dropped by a bit over one point compared to the virgin oil. Old oil: 7.378. Virgin oil: 8.577.

Second was the old oil had quite a bit less magnesium in it. Old oil magnesium: 11 ppm. Virgin oil magnesium: 882 ppm. (Believe the magnesium "gloms" on to particulate matter and then gets captured/trapped by the filter.) Might note magnesium was not the only additive that differed by any substantial amount between the 2 samples.

Third was the old oil had 504 ppm of moly in it. Virgin oil had 68 ppm of moly. Moly is an anti-wear additive. That the old oil had 504 ppm compared to the virgin oil's 68 ppm suggests moly was added at the factory.

Oh, and calcium. Old oil: 2111 ppm. Virgin oil: 1050. Calcium is a detergent additive intended to help keep solids suspended in the oil so they don't settle out and form sludge. Given the difference in calcium content I'd offer a WAG the factory oil had extra calcium in it.

(Just thinking out loud the high calcium level in the old oil and the low magnesium level in the old oil could be the factory decided more calcium was better than more magnesium. Then in the virgin oil the magnesium content went up while the calcium content went down to where both were more nearly the same.)

And not surprising at ~600 miles the old oil had some wear metals in it. Copper (13 ppm)), iron (9 ppm).

In ~600 miles not scary numbers from the old oil although that ~1.2 drop in 100C viscosity is a bit of an eyebrow raiser... But what will the old oil numbers be in 10K miles?

Thus my habit started years ago with my first 4-stroke motorcycles and then cars -- unless forbidden in the owners manual -- was to change the oil/filter early -- at least at the end of break in unless the factory called for an oil change sooner. My habit was reinforced by the advice I received from my auto tech buddies.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 12:28 PM   #5
hxrly
Rep
Drives: '23 M240ix

I did my first oil change at 1300 miles, and wish I would have done it at 500 miles after seeing all the metal shavings in the oil filter housing. While the S58 is a higher performing engine, the B58 has much higher compression ratio and will benefit from an early oil change just the same.

Past: F30 340i, C5 Z06, C7 Z51, Fiesta ST, Explorer ST, FA24 BRZ, SVT Focus, NA Miata (x2), 2.7L F150 (x4), Mk5 - Mk8 GTI (x8)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 01:14 PM   #6
Jashue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 B58 G42

I had my first oil change at 1,500 miles, performed independently of my dealer. The $144 I spent is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that goes with the notion that you aren't taking any chances when it comes to the well being of your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 06:30 PM   #7
pabrognara
Enlisted Member
Brazil
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2C 21/21

Is there any unlock after first 1200mi service on g8x cars?
When I had the f87c there was some locked features such launch control or performance limitation.
      01-22-2024, 11:12 AM   #8
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabrognara View Post
Is there any unlock after first 1200mi service on g8x cars?
When I had the f87c there was some locked features such launch control or performance limitation.
There's been some discussion on this subject in the G87 forum.

Most say there is no unlock of any features that is the car's performance is not boosted after the 1200 mile running in service. The owners manual allows for 6K RPMs (vs. 5K for below 1200 miles) and >100mph speed. But this restriction is in ink only, not enforced by the car's electronics.

Some official documentation I received from the BMW SA covered what is done during RIS (running in service). A paste of this is below.

1200 Mile Running-in Service (RIS)
Maintenance work
• Change the engine oil and oil filter. We recommend Original BMW Engine Oil SAE OW-30 fully synthetic, PIN 83 21 5 A2A F99
• Change the fluid in the rear axle differential.
• Deactivate the 1200 MI. RiS via diagnostic path

However, there are a few that claim they noticed an increase in performance after the running in service.

I did not notice any. What I did notice is after the running in service as I started using higher RPMs and more throttle the M2 got more beast like. It is relatively docile during break in because (most) owners adhere to the break in guidelines. But when they can stretch the car's legs, so to speak, are pretty much gobsmacked by its performance. (I have encountered this from a number of cars besides the M2, including my Hellcat. Thought I knew what power was having owned a 400hp 2006 GTO and a 420hp Porsche Turbo and a 485hp Challenger Scat Pack before the Hellcat) but when I nailed the Hellcat's throttle some miles after its break in service I realized my knowledge of power was lacking.)

Will mention I bought a new 2023 MINI JCW in Loveland CO. Drove it 873 miles home. Second day as the miles climbed past 500 to 600 and beyond the engine ran noticeably better. Sure I still adhered to the break in guidelines but well, the engine just perked up.

Really underlined what is gained by an engine as its break in progresses. If a 228hp engine can manifest this kind of improvement it is no surprise a 453hp engine can best that.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 07:57 PM   #9
pabrognara
Enlisted Member
Brazil
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2C 21/21

Thanks for clearing that. I am still at 957km mileage so about to 1000km for thr ris. What I am also noticing is the car is getting more dynamic/nimble and feeling “smaller/lighter”. The wheel is just getting better, and I cant really understand why some reviewers criticise its behaviour. To me is so fine and I cant feel any lack of involvement or feedback compared to my previous m2comp. It feels sometimes better as the whole car itself.
      01-25-2024, 08:20 AM   #10
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabrognara View Post
Thanks for clearing that. I am still at 957km mileage so about to 1000km for thr ris. What I am also noticing is the car is getting more dynamic/nimble and feeling “smaller/lighter”. The wheel is just getting better, and I cant really understand why some reviewers criticise its behaviour. To me is so fine and I cant feel any lack of involvement or feedback compared to my previous m2comp. It feels sometimes better as the whole car itself.
I experienced much the same thing with my 2022 230i and expect I'll experience the same from my 2024 230i xDrive as I now have just over 2K miles on the car and conditions have been pretty cold, snowy, or even just wet. Raining now in fact. But it is just a matter of nicer weather making an appearance at which time can enjoy the car more...
Appreciate 0