akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer pleaser V2 View Post
Why do M2 headlights have to be exactly the same as M240?
To save money.
I suppose they could possibly use the 3/4 series headlights to better match the g80 look? But I imagine there's a big cost making sure they fit or huge pain in the ass to make sure the 2 series and 3 series headlights fit with JUST a bumper swap.

Still my bet is this is fake, but maybe based on real blueprints.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 08:29 AM   #222
Alexvier
Private
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 325i M sport

It's total bullshit. Period.
      07-14-2021, 08:39 AM   #223
pyrat15
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé

Comparsion with recent spy pics

For me, this front bumper does not looks not like it's the real deal. At least not this exact piece. Compare the distance [orange] between the air opening and the kidneys, as well as the lenght and form of the [yellow] bar. Also it seems that the test mule has more space for the license plate.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
Game7375.50
Bumpinjeep5462.00
M2_CSL117.00
vampire81434.50
SW192453.00
      07-14-2021, 08:43 AM   #224
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I say this is a legitimate M2 bumper.

Point taken about the cluttered and messy workshop, but anyone that has been to Chinese mould maker know that is how they often roll. These look like first off (T1) samples with shoddy paint jobs to show what they could look like.

Why are they real? These are multi component (assembled) bumpers. Each grille is a separate moulding requiring it's own mould tool. They are indeed mouldings rather than glass fibre shells, you can see this in the details, clips, toe cover, grille snap features, etc. The investment to make what you see in the pic is a million dollars. Too rich for a non OE mass production effort. Don't forget, not even Alpina or 235i/M2 racing have their own bumpers. They always share OE due to the cost to make a bespoke design.
I think BMW are going 'because race car' on the M2. The M240i will have many M features so it's either a plain Jane M2 like F series M5 was, or an all out race replica. The prototype T87 has prominent boxy side sills like a racing car. Just saying.
Appreciate 9
      07-14-2021, 08:46 AM   #225
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Where would a North American license plate mount without it covering the radar sensor?
vampire81434.50
      07-14-2021, 09:40 AM   #226
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post

Point taken about the cluttered and messy workshop, but anyone that has been to Chinese mould maker know that is how they often roll. These look like first off (T1) samples with shoddy paint jobs to show what they could look like.

Why are they real? These are multi component (assembled) bumpers. Each grille is a separate moulding requiring it's own mould tool. They are indeed mouldings rather than glass fibre shells, you can see this in the details, clips, toe cover, grille snap features, etc. The investment to make what you see in the pic is a million dollars. Too rich for a non OE mass production effort. Don't forget, not even Alpina or 235i/M2 racing have their own bumpers. They always share OE due to the cost to make a bespoke design.
I think BMW are going 'because race car' on the M2. The M240i will have many M features so it's either a plain Jane M2 like F series M5 was, or an all out race replica. The prototype T87 has prominent boxy side sills like a racing car. Just saying.
I am an engineer at a giant multinational manufacturing corporation and our shops can sometimes look like kitchens of people's on Hoarders. People going full sherlock on messy shops have no clue what they are talking about...."tier 1 supplier"
Appreciate 5
      07-14-2021, 09:41 AM   #227
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Yeah I am leaning towards not believing this is the M2 bumper. I was not a G80/2 beaver tooth leak denier.

I do not see BMW changing the headlight design just for the M2. Bean counters would never let that happen these days.

In the recent camo pics, you can just make out the headlights being the same as the M240.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 09:43 AM   #228
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post

Yea Chinese companies don't do glass fiber shells anymore they are OEM like.

Many make cheaper insurance rate facias. They are scanned and tooled and go on just like a real facia. Mainly poly propylene. But are very close to OEM but need to be worked by a good body shop to get a fully OEM finish. Their close but not perfect.

Also these are not multi million dollar tools, but a few hundred thousand. And if they are made with prototype tooling not aluminum or steel it's even cheaper. But their is a quality hit. The prototype tooling gets close to OEM quality and they can run a couple thousand parts with a prototype tool. Witch is just about enough for the lifetime of these facias to be around.

Also that type of money is what we are charged as a customer. If your the supplier making your tool and making your part then the costs are controlled. This is China after all with slave labor so if this is not a real OEM supplier the tool costs for them to make it is about as cheap as it can get.

But also I will point out rarely will a supplier have all the components for a grill.

One supplier will do the small bits like grille mesh and splitter and another will do the whole facia.

Unless your a one stop shop making kits it's rare that they would have a fully complete bumper.

I know our front facia uses at least 4 different suppliers from China and Mexico and USA. Ones in Indiana actually They make the grille insert.

Just throwing it out their.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 09:45 AM   #229
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
Nobody is relieved that the m2 is probably not getting the same headlights as the new 2 series? Lol I have no idea what people like anymore. I find the new 2 series headlights and taillights hideous but the rest of the design looks pretty good. I also love the G80 though soo I probably don't have the majority opinion
It will get the 2 series headlights. I’d bet money on that.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 09:52 AM   #230
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
Nobody is relieved that the m2 is probably not getting the same headlights as the new 2 series? Lol I have no idea what people like anymore. I find the new 2 series headlights and taillights hideous but the rest of the design looks pretty good. I also love the G80 though soo I probably don't have the majority opinion
Absolutely !

However the only way it be probably
New shape is if the current bumper is hiding part of the light. Then for the M the part is exposed and The part that is now shown could be an added function.

Time
Will tell.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 10:10 AM   #231
adolzero
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F90 m5

i can chime in as Chinese on this topic,this is definately real bmw next gen m2 bumper- for those who doesnt believe why a world premier new m2 bumper could be found in china,please google "mercedes new s class first leak in china" or read below link

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...ng-143574.html

as a result?we Chinese people are the witness of the new s class interior and exterior bumper way ahead mercedes announcement;

my point is:these bumper are not chinese replica- chinese replica are always cost saving and copying from an exsiting design,you can find new z4 replica front bumper for old e89 model in china with different versions,but this thing is true original bmw parts; they are usually test/ prototype model and wrote off after certain test- to deal with dissembling work,they are often sold to 3rd party company to recycle them and some are transported to china with very flexible laws to deal with industrial garbage; one village in south china is famous for getting the news parts from worldwide manufacuter;so dont take munich germany factory plant photo for reference

afterall,nobody in china will do replica with such good details including genuine badges,these mighr not be the final final m2 bumber but 100% prototype bumper during test ;for those who dont believe this- time will tell :D
Appreciate 5
      07-14-2021, 10:23 AM   #232
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Starting to think this was a test bumper for early prototype.
Appreciate 1
siegester344.50
      07-14-2021, 10:33 AM   #233
bunker
BVARIAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
According to my research, there is no aftermarket company on planet earth that reproduces a M2 bumper grille, with the signature "M2" badge baked onto the slants, à la that of the OEM version. So, if this turns out to be a fugazi, it would be a first of its kind.. 🤨

I know this is not an exact science but the badge, which has the exact font as the M2 Competition's grille, combined with other subtle telltales signs, such as the BMW-esque tow eye cover cutout, are beginning to sway towards these leaked photos as bring (unfortunately) authentic.

If I had to make an educated guess, I would bet that the M2 is getting its own bespoke headlights, possible Laser Lights, since that lighting technology actually weights the least.

Regardless of where the chips may fall, it seems that history is destined to repeat itself, as it is shaping up to be yet another interesting reveal.

So all you BMW detractors out there, keep your pitchforks close by

I'm a trademark lawyer and I do this kind of thing for a living, but regardless feel free to take this with a grain of salt.
To me, the "M2" badge on the supposed bumper is clearly a counterfeit or a mock-up. The clear space at both the bottom and the top of the "2" are incorrect, and the negative space in the font is too large. Compare it to the M next to which it is displayed; the characters even appear to be two different font sizes.
Now look, I'm not saying this makes the bumper fake, but it's pretty obvious to me the badge is fake.
      07-14-2021, 10:42 AM   #234
cheveux
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M4

Remember that the new M2 may come equipped with the G80 M3 headlights not the 2series headlights
Appreciate 1
gleung13.00
      07-14-2021, 10:42 AM   #235
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

If this Chinese company is legit, why haven't we seen leaks from them before? Where was the G42 or G80 leak?

And one pic leak? okay that happens. BUT now we have multiple? No chance BMW would allow their manufacturer to leak this information multiple times.

Not buying it.
      07-14-2021, 11:01 AM   #236
pyrat15
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolzero View Post
but this thing is true original bmw parts; they are usually test/ prototype model and wrote off after certain test- to deal with dissembling work,they are often sold to 3rd party company to recycle them and some are transported to china with very flexible laws to deal with industrial garbage; one village in south china is famous for getting the news parts from worldwide manufacuter;so dont take munich germany factory plant photo for reference
So you think BMW is shipping their 'no-more used test bumpers' of their new hot M car [which they didn't cut to smaller pieces, no, the whole thing of course] to China because it's maybe a bit cheaper (if at all) to recycle, and they even let the ///M2 logo on it? Come on…
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 11:03 AM   #237
adolzero
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F90 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat15 View Post
Quote:
but this thing is true original bmw parts; they are usually test/ prototype model and wrote off after certain test- to deal with dissembling work,they are often sold to 3rd party company to recycle them and some are transported to china with very flexible laws to deal with industrial garbage; one village in south china is famous for getting the news parts from worldwide manufacuter;so dont take munich germany factory plant photo for reference
So you think BMW is shipping their 'no-more used test bumpers' of their new hot M car [which they didn't cut to smaller pieces, no, the whole thing of course] to China because it's a bit cheaper to recycle, and they even let the ///M2 logo on it? Come on…
you dont believe this? i didnt believe Mercedes did that for their s class,but that happened already
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 11:17 AM   #238
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
LOL at all of this.
This is a knock off bumper. Here's why
1. Where would you put the license plate? It's a requirement is every country so there has to be space for it. In this "design," the radar sensor would be obscured by the plate.
2. Looking at the prototypes, this radar/Lidar are designed completely differently.
3. The headlights wouldn't fit, they are a different design altogether.

My guess is that this is a counterfeit/knock off body kit "company" out of China. I think this would fit a different car altogether. Maybe like a Mitsubishi Lancer
or like an old Civic or Impreza.
Game7375.50
      07-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #239
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
i can chime in as Chinese on this topic,this is definately real bmw next gen m2 bumper- for those who doesnt believe why a world premier new m2 bumper could be found in china,please google "mercedes new s class first leak in china" or read below link
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...ng-143574.html
as a result?we Chinese people are the witness of the new s class interior and exterior bumper way ahead mercedes announcement;
my point is:these bumper are not chinese replica- chinese replica are always cost saving and copying from an exsiting design,you can find new z4 replica front bumper for old e89 model in china with different versions,but this thing is true original bmw parts; they are usually test/ prototype model and wrote off after certain test- to deal with dissembling work,they are often sold to 3rd party company to recycle them and some are transported to china with very flexible laws to deal with industrial garbage; one village in south china is famous for getting the news parts from worldwide manufacuter;so dont take munich germany factory plant photo for reference
afterall,nobody in china will do replica with such good details including genuine badges,these mighr not be the final final m2 bumber but 100% prototype bumper during test ;for those who dont believe this- time will tell :D
adolzero, thanks for your comment. It seems to be in line with what the Instagrammer commented who has posted the pictures:

Name:  BMW_M2_Bumper_Instagram_1.png
Views: 1159
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  BMW_M2_Bumper_Instagram_2.png
Views: 1100
Size:  29.3 KB

But still lots of questions about this mystery front bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunker View Post
I'm a trademark lawyer and I do this kind of thing for a living, but regardless feel free to take this with a grain of salt.
To me, the "M2" badge on the supposed bumper is clearly a counterfeit or a mock-up. The clear space at both the bottom and the top of the "2" are incorrect, and the negative space in the font is too large. Compare it to the M next to which it is displayed; the characters even appear to be two different font sizes.
Now look, I'm not saying this makes the bumper fake, but it's pretty obvious to me the badge is fake.
About the counterfeit business: see for example Audi trying to track down counterfeit car parts:

07-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #240
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
LOL at all of this.
This is a knock off bumper. Here's why
1. Where would you put the license plate? It's a requirement is every country so there has to be space for it. In this "design," the radar sensor would be obscured by the plate.
2. Looking at the prototypes, this radar/Lidar are designed completely differently.
3. The headlights wouldn't fit, they are a different design altogether.

My guess is that this is a counterfeit/knock off body kit "company" out of China. I think this would fit a different car altogether. Maybe like a Mitsubishi Lancer
or like an old Civic or Impreza.
Solid point.
      07-14-2021, 11:58 AM   #241
Straight6Dave
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
It absolutely won't get headlights unique to the M2 but I wouldn't be surprised to see the G80 headlights on the car.

As for the bumper, I'm leaning towards fake. The radar sensor doesn't seem to line up with what we've seen in spy shots.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 12:36 PM   #242
Rat_House
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, Gated R8, DatsunZ, mk

I am kinda leaning towards this being real, but I think there will be more vents/wings/deflectors added to it similar to the M8 bumper. This assumes the M2 will get different headlights. It kinda has a e46 m3 bumper feel to it.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread