E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > INPA and MAP testing

10-30-2019, 11:07 AM   #1
DTOAST3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

INPA and MAP testing

Since it'll take a few days for a new map sensor to come in, I am trying to see if i can diagnose a bad map sensor using inpa. Has anyone done this before or have any advice? I am not seeing much info regarding this for N54's. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:52 PM   #2
Cm452
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI, stock...for now

Map sensors relay a voltage for a particular pressure. The only way they can fail mildly(which is what you seem to be alluding to) is if the thermister inside them gets whacked, or, the load cell inside gets out of calibration, anything else would yield profoundly noticeable results. I'd research what the volt per milibar the sensor is supposed to put out and do a soda bottle test with another calibrated pressure gage, a 5 or 12v dc power source, and a decent multi meter. INPA might work in telling you bar absolute from the sensor. You also do the same for temperature. I've never seen a map sensor fail in person, tho, and thus, barring any further info, wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be fine but dirty.
Keep us posted!
-Cm
Appreciate 0