E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Oh my, ohlins are the real deal.

11-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #1
Manberg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i

Oh my, ohlins are the real deal.

So the original owner of my vehicle did the most if the upgrades to my car. I am now the 3rd owner. The original guy was obviously a car enthusiast as he dumped a fair amount of money into a brand new, at the time, bmw. The 2nd owner didn't know much about the car and when I asked him about things he was very unsure but as a mechanic for my 9-5' I figured I could find out as time went on. Had a pre-purchase and all done they said everything looked good so I went for it.

So now owning the car for little more than half a year I felt like something was off with the suspension. Reading about how ohlins are amazing and felt so confident in every aspect. I wasn't really sold on my experience. Although it didnt feel bad, by any means, enough is enough. Last night I was reading up on the adjustments and where most people have them set to. In the research I found that 10-10 clicks from tight is the recommendation and that for daily use 10-15-20 is where most people leave them. And so this morning before I started my day at work I put it up on the lift to check it out as well as some other bandaid fixes I did, ~for another time, And counted off the clicks. Turn out I had something to the tune of 10-16 bias side to side in the front and 21-12 in the rear side to side... No wonder every time I hit a speed bump my car dipped like it had a blown shock... Who knows what random tire guy at a shop it was at in the passed just went ham on the adjustment screws and had no idea what they were doing. Anyway I adjusted them to something like 10-12 front and rear from tight.

If it felt still so strong and confident, speed bumps aside, when it was so out of whack... I cant even begin to explain the night and day difference it made setting them to something that made sense. It's definitely not placebo at work here. It immediately felt better. This a truly great product and I'm pretty sad I didn't so anything sooner. I thought it felt really good before being that my previous car was an 06 e90 325i, this is just the top of the line of the same car, save m3. This Is an unreal experience for me because all I did was change the settings of the shocks and it feels like have new suspension all around.

I was only able to drive 10 miles or so this morning but you can bet on a canyon run later in the day. Update to follow, just had to share my thoughts. Ill break up this wall of text when i get home too!

Edited: Since I missed my normal Cars and Coffee this morning, I cruised down PCH(Newport to Dana) on my way home form work which is basically the same thing. I ran out of fingers to count the Bentleys I had seen.

The car is super planted, road bumps are almost unnoticeable(comparably), Bump steer is almost nonexistent, It takes off better, it stops better, it actually shifts better(6MT). I'd tell you the doors close better too but that's really how much of a change I felt with a turn of a dial.

Also, now that I have your attention and I'm curious. What do you have your's set to for what conditions?
M-Sport, 6MT, PPK, JB4 ISO + Rev.3, VRSF 7'' FMIC, VRSF Catless DP, BMS Charge Pipe, MFactory LSD, Öhlins R&T, M3 Control Arms, Rogue 6MT Bushings, Remus Exhaust, Duke Dynamics CF Diffuser, Cyba Scoops, VMR VB3 19s, BMS Clucth Stop

Last edited by Manberg; 11-21-2015 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Not on a phone.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Yup, best coilovers I have used. Ever. And this is coming from someone who has tried a plethora of spring/shock combs all the way to custom built coilovers over the years... I have the swift spring upgrade, too. They are simply unbelievable on the street or track.

The adjustments definitely make a big difference. When I stiffened them up for track use, the car felt insanely planted and stiff vs. my street settings.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Ohlin$ FTW.
      11-21-2015, 04:14 PM   #4
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Yep they are great. As another poster said the adjustments make a huge difference.

I was 2 from full stiff on track recently and it was so planted. Felt amazing. Then dialled it up for the ride home in comfort
Appreciate 0