E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335i Spark Plugs & Oil

08-26-2016, 03:54 AM   #1
BMW Steve
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535D & e93 335i Highline

335i Spark Plugs & Oil

Loving my 335i,

As I am now looking at some performance upgrades I am also looking a better Oil and spark plugs

Aiming at every one running bigger power, boost, performance part's. Have you replaced your plugs for some thing better and upgraded the oil.

If so for what.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 05:59 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
IMHO different plugs and oil won't make any discernible difference to your performance. If you really want to up your bhp, think about a remap, headers, intake etc.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 06:06 AM   #3
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport Auto

Agree with above - you'll notice more performance with remap, hybrid turbos and smoother drive with servicing of gearbox and diff with friction modifiers

How much you looking to spend?
      08-26-2016, 06:18 AM   #4
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
The normal oil is fine. Castrol/Mobil 1 fully synthetics etc... are more than good enough for this motor.

I'd consider better oil cooling if anything as the N54 does run pretty hot. 120c seems to be normal for many and that is the sump temp, so you can imagine how hot that oil gets when it's in contact with engine parts. For this reason I'd probably run a XW-40 oil if modded until you can cool the oil a bit better.

Plugs wise I think standard plugs are fine too until you reach huge HP figures. Some people use the NGK ones, some use Bosch, I think it comes down to personal preference. There isn't a huge amount of scientific data proving one is better than the other. Main thing is to keep them fresh, which is probably a change very 20-25k, which will probably map well to a "CBS oil service". That should be every other oil service if you are modded as I'd assume you'd be changing the oil every 8-10k.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 06:22 AM   #5
BMW Steve
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535D & e93 335i Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_f22 View Post
Agree with above - you'll notice more performance with remap, hybrid turbos and smoother drive with servicing of gearbox and diff with friction modifiers

How much you looking to spend?
A remap is on the list after the performance parts are purchased and fitted, as for how much do I want to spend, How long is a bit of string,,,,

I have considered a gear box service but with only 46K on the car is it required, and a little ? ref the Friction Modifiers
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 02:00 AM   #6
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport Auto

Sorry just got round to seeing your reply

Depending on the type of remap you're looking for (many different methods out there) you're looking at anywhere from £250 - £1500+
There will be pages and pages of opinions and posts to read about remaps on forums all over the internet, my advice is research the methods used by several remap companies near you and go for whatever suits you budget and personal choice

Gearbox service - if it's only 46K then shouldn't be required. I think the advice is to get it done every 70K.

Friction modifiers - the one I used mixes in with the engine oil. Since adding it, i've not observed any adverse effects on the car and in fact the engine noise has reduced quite a bit. It's supposed to prolong the life of mechanical components through reduction friction.

Check out the thread I started on Archoil for more info: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266776

Archoil website:
http://archoil.eu/ar9000-friction-modifiers/

Some would argue the friction modifier isn't needed - I chose to believe in the science and as my car is pretty high mileage from when I bought it, I decided to do what I could to keep it going. Down to personal choice really.