E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Basic checks before driving in Europe

04-10-2017, 11:27 PM   #1
stote
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D Touring

Basic checks before driving in Europe

Dear fellow members this year I decided to take my E91 on a trip to Portugal, what should I check before leaving home for this adventure?
Any tips ?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 11:45 PM   #2
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Merc, VW, Porsche, Suzuki

Garage List
Apart from the general specific requirements for any country you pass through (like hi-vis jackets in the cabin of the car, breathalyser for France, spare bulbs, warning triangles etc - Halfords will tell you the specifics), I'd be checking that your car is in mechanical tip-top condition. I did 2900 miles to Italy & back in the summer, and aside from the normal checks, I did a coolant change to ensure the cooling system was fully competent.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 02:15 AM   #3
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
If you know the exact milages your driving on the trip make sure your tyres have sufficient tread to last the distance and you have the distance your driving covered by the distances shown on your service indicator for the oil service etc. If any of these don't cover it get it done before you go.
      04-11-2017, 02:43 AM   #4
DriverLDN
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport E90 2006

I always find The AA guide of what I need when travelling into Europe very handy as has a detailed for every country:

The AA Guide

Other than that, make sure the car is in good condition, oil levels topped up and carry a small refill bottle. As bfleming mentioned its worth checking that the cooling system is tip top so a coolant change wouldn't go a miss. Make sure your windscreen wash is topped up as from my experience driving to Italy, you'll have a lot of bug splatter this time of year. Tyres inflated to to give you decent mpg.

I also carried some tyre weld and an electric pump as well. Plus make sure you have the usual blankets or jackets etc just in case of breakdown and make sure you breakdown cover is European.

Other than that, get some pictures posted up when you return :-)
      04-11-2017, 03:16 AM   #5
BMW Steve
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535D & e93 335i Highline

I HAVE THIS KIT.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultimate-P...MAAOSw2gxYwA3e

EXTRA BULBS
AND THE RELIVANT KIT FOR MY CAR
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-Seri...wZLKUAPemfWaug

AND I ALSO HAVE THEM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-RED-WH...kAAOSwoBtW4qHm

All in a small box that sits in the boot when ever I travel to Germany

AND DONT FORGET THE BREATHALIZER KIT RELIVANT TO THAT COUNTRY
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 07:46 AM   #6
_Ascension_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i - Sophisto Grey

Make sure your insurance is valid on the continent and also probably look at European breakdown cover, if you don't have it already.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 09:10 PM   #7
stote
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you all for the tips, I will have a few days off next week and I will check everything, and do a oil change to be on the safe side.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 03:52 AM   #8
Stahliniho
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90 318i LCI MSport Space Grey

Garage List
Check your sat nav is updated or your carrier (3, vodaphone, o2 etc) offers you data roaming free - if it doesn't you'll have a huge bill running sat nav on your phone.

Also see if you can get a large A3 Map - paper never runs out of battery.

At a push a small can for petrol, I got caught in France with no petrol station for miles once. Issue you have is spillage/fumes, so its up to you. Make sure its new and the lids on tight.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 03:35 PM   #9
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93, M sport, 269 alloys

Pay any tolls with a credit card. Put a €50 in a toll booth and it ate it and gave no ticket. Never doing that again!

Also did the trip to portugal for few years back. It was really fantastic. You should have a great time.
      04-15-2017, 03:55 PM   #10
stote
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrey View Post
Pay any tolls with a credit card. Put a €50 in a toll booth and it ate it and gave no ticket. Never doing that again!

Also did the trip to portugal for few years back. It was really fantastic. You should have a great time.
For motorways i have a tag so no need to pay , i have one for France,Spain,and Portugal, i will be driving on those countries
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #11
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93, M sport, 269 alloys

I took my convertible. Down the left side and then back up the right side. So Bairritz in France and then valladolid, spain and entered north portugal, through Douro valley then stayed on algarve and came back seville, and east spain, then carcassonne and back to northern france. Great trip. Hardly used the motorway at all. Great roads in France.
A really good road trip. Took a cooler that ran from car charger that was really useful. Lidl are selling them this week.
      04-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #12
stote
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrey View Post
I took my convertible. Down the left side and then back up the right side. So Bairritz in France and then valladolid, spain and entered north portugal, through Douro valley then stayed on algarve and came back seville, and east spain, then carcassonne and back to northern france. Great trip. Hardly used the motorway at all. Great roads in France.
A really good road trip. Took a cooler that ran from car charger that was really useful. Lidl are selling them this week.
That's a very good route , and I will look in to it
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 12:49 AM   #13
mjn77
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Just a little note......the French are World Champions at tailgating BUT the Belgians are a very close second!!
Appreciate 0