E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Nasty paint chip

05-19-2017, 05:46 AM   #1
mrbubba
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325 M Sport

Nasty paint chip

Made the mistake of jet washing off the front of the car the other week, it was covered in dead bugs from the motorway.
However, whilst doing this, I've take then paint off a small paint chip that was there.

Is there any DIY I can do for this? Or am I looking at a body shop and big money?

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

Dr. Colorchip?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 09:22 AM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Ouch... how close were you to the paint, and what pressure machine were you using? Pressure washers can be a great tool to use for car washing, but it should never be used in an attempt to blast things off of your paint. Also, higher pressure units and narrower nozzles are never recommended for safety reasons.

I use a 1600 PSI unit with a 40 degree fan tip on it.

The answer to your question depends on what your goals are. If you want it to look like it never happened, then a trip to the body shop is in order. If you just want it to look "ok" you can likely make it look presentable with some touch up paint or a rattle can and some patience.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #4
mrbubba
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Ouch... how close were you to the paint, and what pressure machine were you using? Pressure washers can be a great tool to use for car washing, but it should never be used in an attempt to blast things off of your paint. Also, higher pressure units and narrower nozzles are never recommended for safety reasons.

I use a 1600 PSI unit with a 40 degree fan tip on it.

The answer to your question depends on what your goals are. If you want it to look like it never happened, then a trip to the body shop is in order. If you just want it to look "ok" you can likely make it look presentable with some touch up paint or a rattle can and some patience.
It's the jet wash we use at work for cleaning the cars. I didn't notice the small paint chip, it looked like another bug.... Until the paint cans off

Not wanting it perfect, the car is a 2008 with 110k on the clock
Appreciate 0