E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Paint chip repair instructions

08-31-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
team7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328ix Wagon

Paint chip repair instructions

I've read up on the steps of paint chip repair but haven't seen my issue addressed. I was doing some practice on my other car to see if I could get a good result. I have a bit of experience with painting panels but they have never turned out to my satisfaction.

So my issue/question on paint chip repair is how do I build up the chip divot? If I lay down the sandable primer, then base/color, then clear you can still see the chip shape. I have tried to lay down a few coats of primer and im still seeing the divot clearly. I'm happy to keep laying the primer down but want to make sure there isn't a better way.

I am using automotivetouchup.com paint pens. I am going to order paint in a bottle with the micro dabbers as I think that might let me lay down the paint a bit more surgically. Any guidance would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

I just ordered some micro dabber sticks and bmw jet black 668 touch up paint. Interested in learning any advanced techniques to make it look great. I'm planning to fix the chips on my hood and front bumper.
Appreciate 0