E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD Flash Failure Need Help (Resolved)

05-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #1
E92|Kyle
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

MHD Flash Failure Need Help (Resolved)

So I recently tried to flash mhd stage 1+ using the same tablet and k+dcan / otg cables I used to flash stage 1. This time it gave me a failed to write message at 8% completion and ever since whenever I try to flash it says "contacting the dme" and never goes anywhere. I've tried using a different tablet but I still get the same message. Just ordered ************** cables to see if that's the issue but I'm not sure it is considering the same cables worked for me the first time. As of now the car won't start, any tips/ advice would be much appreciated. Car is an 08 335i coupe if that matters.

Last edited by E92|Kyle; 05-19-2019 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Check your battery level, disconnect everything, restart your phone (even redownload the mhd app if it still doesnt work) then give it a try again. If you were able to read and store your stock tune then you can write to it with your cable. Your just having a communication issue between the app and the car's ecu.

I've had this happen before too, sometimes you have to wait 5 mins then come back. I've also had issues where I had to disconnect and reconnect the cord a few times/restart my phone. Just keep trying you should be able to get it back up and running again. If not either buy another cord, or post in the NY region and see if anyone local that has a cord can help you out.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #3
cgbimmer
2007 335xi
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi blue

Hey one super hot day I was flashing and tablet overheated shut down..
It took a few tries after cooling down before ecu synced again had to restart app and tablet..try putting key in hit button turn off wait 15 minutes or so..and then try reflash also I wood hook up battery charger make sure good on that end..
and does your cable light blink when you hood up to your car??
2007 335xi Daw stage 2 old wheel custom 2.25 relocation inlets vrsf alum outlets.Vrsf 5'' stepped intercooler.stage 2 bucket lpfp.BQ tune xhp stage 3 tranny flash.vrsf downpipes modified 3in exhaust.ER charge pipe tial bov.Custom oil cooler..cic retrofit.koni shocks h@r sport spring staggered conti tir
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #4
E92|Kyle
Rep

Thanks for the responses. I've tried restarting the mhd app / redownloading it, restarting the tablet, and unplugging/plugging the cable in dozens of times in the past two days and still get the same "contacting dme" message whenever I try to flash or read codes. I've even tried disconnecting the battery for 10 mins and attempted the flash back to stock and still the same outcome. The k+dcan cable always lights up solid when I plug it in but turns off shortly after failing to contact the dme to answer your question. At this point I think the bimmer softwares cable is my only hope, but open to more suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #5
DS3IAM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335 XI

it's frustrating and nerve racking when it doesn't complete the process. I would try to get the recommended k +dcan cable connector from BimmerGeek or Twisted Tune. I got my from Twisted Tune but it took some time to deliver. Maybe someone locally can share their connector?
2009 335i xDrive 6MT // Black Sapphire / Cold Weather / M Sport / PDC / Premium Package / Aerodynamic Kit / Anthracite headliner / Keyless Entry / AR Design Catless Downpipe / Style 313 19" Wheels/ OEM Euro Taillights / LUX H8 160
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 01:03 PM   #6
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92|Kyle View Post
Thanks for the responses. I've tried restarting the mhd app / redownloading it, restarting the tablet, and unplugging/plugging the cable in dozens of times in the past two days and still get the same "contacting dme" message whenever I try to flash or read codes. I've even tried disconnecting the battery for 10 mins and attempted the flash back to stock and still the same outcome. The k+dcan cable always lights up solid when I plug it in but turns off shortly after failing to contact the dme to answer your question. At this point I think the bimmer softwares cable is my only hope, but open to more suggestions.
Are you using a usb to usb-c cable? If so that could be your issue. I use a usb to usb-c cable to work with my note 8 and I was able to flash the car with the one i had, then all of a sudden it wouldnt work and mhd stopped recognizing the cable. I then replaced that little adapter with a different one and it worked again, funny enough after using the new connector the old one started working again lol. The whole flashing setup works great when its working. Another suggestion is to inspect your OBD port and make sure there is no physical damage to it.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #7
riczon.335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

I been through this a few times don't worry just reboot the tablet wait 5 mins and come back, make sure you have a charger as well. It should resume flashing or it will retry from the beginning.

Quote:
So I recently tried to flash mhd stage 1+ using the same tablet and k+dcan / otg cables I used to flash stage 1. This time it gave me a failed to write message at 8% completion and ever since whenever I try to flash it says "contacting the dme" and never goes anywhere. I've tried using a different tablet but I still get the same message. Just ordered ************** cables to see if that's the issue but I'm not sure it is considering the same cables worked for me the first time. As of now the car won't start, any tips/ advice would be much appreciated. Car is an 08 335i coupe if that matters.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 05:31 PM   #8
cgbimmer
2007 335xi
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi blue

good call with the usb-c I bought a 2 pack amazon new only one worked on my tablet.
If not get a good cable good luck
2007 335xi Daw stage 2 old wheel custom 2.25 relocation inlets vrsf alum outlets.Vrsf 5'' stepped intercooler.stage 2 bucket lpfp.BQ tune xhp stage 3 tranny flash.vrsf downpipes modified 3in exhaust.ER charge pipe tial bov.Custom oil cooler..cic retrofit.koni shocks h@r sport spring staggered conti tir
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 12:13 AM   #9
E92|Kyle
Rep

Thanks guys. Didn't use a usb c, I used the micro usb otg that has worked for me in the past. It came with 2 otg's so I tried the second one that was still in the plastic and still nothing. Hopefully the amazon cables just crapped out on me and the bimmer sofwares one that's tested prior to shipping out ends up working.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 12:29 AM   #10
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys. Didn't use a usb c, I used the micro usb otg that has worked for me in the past. It came with 2 otg's so I tried the second one that was still in the plastic and still nothing. Hopefully the amazon cables just crapped out on me and the bimmer sofwares one that's tested prior to shipping out ends up working.
Oh I tried a micro USB once and it never worked for me when I tried to use my tablet. Gave up and used my phone instead.

If your in hurry and dont want to wait on the cable you can download an android emulator on windows or mac and connect the cable to the PC wothout any adapters which should help eliminate the adapter failure possability.

Here is a thread on someone who did that.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1365065
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 08:39 PM   #11
E92|Kyle
Rep

Ok I'm at a loss now. New k+dcan cable from bimmer sofware didn't work, nor did 3 different android devices, and 4 different otg cables. All it ever says is "contacting the dme". Battery is fully charged and I've tried flashing with a battery charger hooked up, still nothing. Following mhd's instructions to a T. Idk what else I can possibly do to redeem my ecu. Going to try leaving the battery unplugged overnight but if that doesn't work, idk what else I can do.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 10:02 PM   #12
riczon.335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Maybe someone on the forums here and come check it out that's in your area? Worth a shot.

Quote:
Ok I'm at a loss now. New k+dcan cable from bimmer sofware didn't work, nor did 3 different android devices, and 4 different otg cables. All it ever says is "contacting the dme". Battery is fully charged and I've tried flashing with a battery charger hooked up, still nothing. Following mhd's instructions to a T. Idk what else I can possibly do to redeem my ecu. Going to try leaving the battery unplugged overnight but if that doesn't work, idk what else I can do.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #13
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When you have the cord plugged into your android then plug in the cable into the OBD port does the app pop up on you screen? If not then the cable isnt connecting to your car. The app should automatically pop up when you plug in the obd cable.

Just to double check you are trying to flash with the car on (but not started) correct? Do you have a JB4, if so is it in map 0? Are you trying to flash the car with the same failed tune, or back to stock? Sometimes trying to reflash the same tune works over reflashing back to stock.

Did you try the computer method that i posted?
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 09:07 AM   #14
E92|Kyle
Rep

One week of buying cables and borrowing different tablets later, I realize all I had to do was be patient. Tried it again and when it said "contacting the dme" I decided to leave it plugged in instead of assuming it wasn't working and after 5-8 minutes it connected and I was able to write the flash. Took about 40 mins and drained my battery even with a battery charger, I assume because of the million attempts I tried. But after letting the battery charge for 15 mins I set the battery charger to jump start and it started right up. Stage 1+ fmic pulls so much harder top end! Thanks for the help guys, appreciate everyone's input.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #15
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

That's good to hear! Hopefully you never have this type of issue again! Enjoy the tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #16
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Glad to hear you got it worked out...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 06:55 PM   #17
clippercity335i
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
One week of buying cables and borrowing different tablets later, I realize all I had to do was be patient. Tried it again and when it said "contacting the dme" I decided to leave it plugged in instead of assuming it wasn't working and after 5-8 minutes it connected and I was able to write the flash. Took about 40 mins and drained my battery even with a battery charger, I assume because of the million attempts I tried. But after letting the battery charge for 15 mins I set the battery charger to jump start and it started right up. Stage 1+ fmic pulls so much harder top end! Thanks for the help guys, appreciate everyone's input.

Did MHD app say, “ waiting for last task to complete”? Without a completion % bar? That’s what mine is doing and it takes my back to the main page.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 12:46 AM   #18
E92|Kyle
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clippercity335i View Post
Did MHD app say, “ waiting for last task to complete”? Without a completion % bar? That’s what mine is doing and it takes my back to the main page.
I've gotten that message a few times, but only after I tried to flash a second time without unplugging the tablet from the obd and restarting the whole process.

I'd try leaving it on the "waiting for the last task to complete" message for at least 10 mins. If that doesn't work then I'd restart the whole process and try to get the "contacting the dme" message, leave it on that screen for a few mins and it should give you the option to start the flash. Make sure you have a battery charger connected even if you think your battery is good.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 01:31 AM   #19
clippercity335i
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Thanks for the info. I waited for a 30 minutes with no response so I closed the app twice more and it finally uploaded with the % displayed the entire time.
Appreciate 0