E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Is this a sign of a bad turbo seal(s) ?

11-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #1
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Question Is this a sign of a bad turbo seal(s) ?

I've had my 07' 335i for a few months now ...I've put almost 2,000 miles on it so far. It doesn't appear to be burning any oil (oil level still showing "max"), and when I pulled the stock intercooler to install the new FMIC it wasn't full of oil.

But.....I've noticed that if I let the car sit and idle 10-15 min to warm up before I drive it, as soon as I pull out of the driveway and start to give it somegas, it starts doing the white/grey smoke thing out of the exhaust for a few seconds...and I can get a hint of burnt oil smell. It's only done this two times since I've had the car...and both times have been after letting the car idle for 10+ minutes.

Other than that, it never smokes at all....never. I'm wondering if this could be bad turbo seals, or could it be something else? Could it be oil building up in the pcv system while it's idling...and then burning it when I get on the gas?

As far as I know, these are the OEM turbos, so they have right at 100k miles on them......but they seem to hit the mhd 2+ boost targets without any issues (max 20psi). I'm also running catless downpipes....if that makes a difference.

Ideas?
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

100k and still making target boost is great news. Just keep driving them and enjoy the car. Remember though, turbos going out is less about making peak boost in the midrange and more about making target boost at redline.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Any idea on where the smoke is coming from after the car sits and idles for 10-15min?
Appreciate 0