E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > smog with jb4 and back end flash?

08-13-2020, 07:12 PM   #1
Riceball777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S2000 618whp/ e90 335i

smog with jb4 and back end flash?

can i pass CA smog with a jb4 and with the back end flash?? I know many people have passed with just the jb4 switched to map 0 but can i pass with the jb4 with the back end flash? or do i need to flash back to stock swap out the 3.5bar map sensor with stock and switch jb4 to map 0 to pass?
      08-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #2
sbsk518
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceball777 View Post
can i pass CA smog with a jb4 and with the back end flash?? I know many people have passed with just the jb4 switched to map 0 but can i pass with the jb4 with the back end flash? or do i need to flash back to stock swap out the 3.5bar map sensor with stock and switch jb4 to map 0 to pass?
Depends on whether or not the BEF is preventing your emissions markers from achieving "readiness" status. Should be ok if all of your markers show ready and you don't have a CEL.

Usually, the tune is the easiest thing to fix for CA smog. Takes like 2 min to flash everything back to stock. It's the DPs fix and reverting the FBO parts back to stock for the visual inspection (DCIs, CP, BOV, OCC, etc) that's annoying.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 09:22 PM   #3
Riceball777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S2000 618whp/ e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsk518 View Post
Depends on whether or not the BEF is preventing your emissions markers from achieving "readiness" status. Should be ok if all of your markers show ready and you don't have a CEL.

Usually, the tune is the easiest thing to fix for CA smog. Takes like 2 min to flash everything back to stock. It's the DPs fix and reverting the FBO parts back to stock for the visual inspection (DCIs, CP, BOV, OCC, etc) that's annoying.

I normally been just doing illegal smogs for the last 20+ years but it’s been getting much harder to be able to do illegal smogs, this is my first time trying to actually pass a smog test. I have friends that own smog shops so I won’t have to worry about the illegal visual things like the intake, blow off valve and thing that don’t affect the readiness of the monitors. My only monitor that is not ready is for the cats since I don’t have cats on my car so I will just install the o2 fix or I can install the stock down pipe’s

My question is after I install the stock down pipe will I be fine with JB4 in map 0 or with the off the self mbd back end flash cause me issues and does the off the self jb4 mhd back end flash cause Issues with the readiness of the monitors.

If I also need to flash back to stock that would mean I would have to install the stock map sensor, Get rid of the E85 fill the tank with 91octane And flash the stock map in.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 10:44 PM   #4
sbsk518
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceball777 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsk518 View Post

I normally been just doing illegal smogs for the last 20+ years but it's been getting much harder to be able to do illegal smogs, this is my first time trying to actually pass a smog test. I have friends that own smog shops so I won't have to worry about the illegal visual things like the intake, blow off valve and thing that don't affect the readiness of the monitors. My only monitor that is not ready is for the cats since I don't have cats on my car so I will just install the o2 fix or I can install the stock down pipe's

My question is after I install the stock down pipe will I be fine with JB4 in map 0 or with the off the self mbd back end flash cause me issues and does the off the self jb4 mhd back end flash cause Issues with the readiness of the monitors.

If I also need to flash back to stock that would mean I would have to install the stock map sensor, Get rid of the E85 fill the tank with 91octane And flash the stock map in.
I'm sure others will correct me if I mistaken, but I believe you should be fine if your monitors show ready (after you fix the DPs). Pretty sure the OBDII test only checks your monitors

My MHD BEF doesn't prevent my monitors from resetting. I had to use TurnerPro to code out the CEL light for my DPs, but before that I was good to go. Now my O2 monitors don't show ready because I turned the alarm off, but that of course was by design.
Appreciate 0