E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Broke off Valve Cover Ground Bolt

06-24-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
meleegy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90, BMW E92

Broke off Valve Cover Ground Bolt

Hello, while doing a DIY Valve Cover Gasket replacement I broke off the ground bolt between cylinders 5 and 6 while removing it. You can see from the pics how rusted it was (rust on the outside and also around the bolt itself). To make matters worst, I tried to use a bolt extractor kit to take it out and ended up making it worst as you can see in the pic. Perhaps I didn't drill perfectly in the center or perhaps the bolt is too rusted that the extractor just didnt work. Whatever the reason, it now looks like what you see in the second pic on the right.

I decided to stop because I was clearly making things worst and put the valve cover back on without that ground bolt (I added an extension wire that connected the ground wire to the other ground bolt between cylinders 1 and 2). I will drive the car for a few weeks and cross my fingers that it doesn't leak oil into cylinders 5 and 6.

I thought about just drilling off the broken bolt completely and using helicoil to create new threads in the cylinder head but then that would damage the small lip (not sure the technical name) that protrudes out of the hole which you see in the pic. I wouldn't know how to replace that lip and it looks important as it sits into the valve cover.

I will circle back to share if there is oil leak but in the mean time I have a couple of questions:
1- Did anyone experience this and was able to get away without that bolt and didnt experience oil leaks
2- Do you guys think this is fixable at this point given the off center damage that I did to the broken bolt? What would happen if I damage the "lip" trying to drill the bolt out? I cant find a spare part for that lip on FCP euro which tells me it is built into the cylinder head? Any advice?
Attached Images

Last edited by meleegy; 06-24-2021 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 11:16 PM   #2
SamyB
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2008

You should email FCP Euro or give them a call, they are usually pretty good at guiding to the right tool/part.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 10:27 AM   #3
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e39 m5

I wouldn't worry too much about the lip, the main thing is to remove the old bolt without causing more damage. a Dremel and a ton of mini carbide bit should work, use a large garbage bag with a small work hole so no metal gets anywhere near the motor.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 11:22 AM   #4
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleegy View Post
Hello, while doing a DIY Valve Cover Gasket replacement I broke off the ground bolt between cylinders 5 and 6 while removing it. You can see from the pics how rusted it was (rust on the outside and also around the bolt itself). To make matters worst, I tried to use a bolt extractor kit to take it out and ended up making it worst as you can see in the pic. Perhaps I didn't drill perfectly in the center or perhaps the bolt is too rusted that the extractor just didnt work. Whatever the reason, it now looks like what you see in the second pic on the right.

I decided to stop because I was clearly making things worst and put the valve cover back on without that ground bolt (I added an extension wire that connected the ground wire to the other ground bolt between cylinders 1 and 2). I will drive the car for a few weeks and cross my fingers that it doesn't leak oil into cylinders 5 and 6.

I thought about just drilling off the broken bolt completely and using helicoil to create new threads in the cylinder head but then that would damage the small lip (not sure the technical name) that protrudes out of the hole which you see in the pic. I wouldn't know how to replace that lip and it looks important as it sits into the valve cover.

I will circle back to share if there is oil leak but in the mean time I have a couple of questions:
1- Did anyone experience this and was able to get away without that bolt and didnt experience oil leaks
2- Do you guys think this is fixable at this point given the off center damage that I did to the broken bolt? What would happen if I damage the "lip" trying to drill the bolt out? I cant find a spare part for that lip on FCP euro which tells me it is built into the cylinder head? Any advice?
It may be too late since you already drilled it and mangled the threads, but normally without the head, there is not much force on the threads. This allows you to use some penetrating oil and a magnet or a pick to just rotate it out. If it's already too far gone, a left hand rotating bit should rotate it out also.

On a side note, the female threads aren't part of the cylinder head, correct? I couldn't find a part that corresponded to it, but the diagrams suck from that angle.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 01:37 PM   #5
shadE9x
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 328i

Currently having the same problem with my 2011 328i n52 sedan, how did you fix the problem? Heli coil? If so what size?
Appreciate 0