home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

01-19-2022, 09:05 AM   #1
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

So my brand new m240i has been experiencing some issues on cold start. Driver Assistance Reduced: Frontal Collision Warning and Pedestrian Warning. This malfunction usually clears up after about 15 min of driving. The major issue is that during those 15 mins my car has NO audio. After the driver assistance resolves itself the audio returns. Very weird.

Some of you may have seen my other thread regarding this issues. I'm starting this thread to primarily vent about my experience with the BMW service.

The first time I took my vehicle in they weren't able to replicate the issues and simply updated the software. This is the second time in, It's been 3 days now and I've got very little communication from the SA.

"Right now there are Sporadic faults for KAFAS system that did not point to a defective component. Faults for audio system that resulted in a defective audio amplifier"

Then there's this which really concerned me:

"The tech would me to ask you if had spilled liquid or had an accident to the rear of the vehicle."

I purchased my vehicle brand new from their dealership 6 weeks ago and put about 1,000miles on it. It's been in my garage 95% of the time as I didn't want to drive it much with the on going issues.

Am I being unreasonable if I request definitive answers? I want to know exactly what the tech is referring to. I have a theory that the dealership may have damaged the vehicle prior to my purchase, and didn't disclose this information to me.

Any advice on how I should proceed? I want to remain composed but this lack of communication is unbearable. I feel like I shouldn't be the one reaching out for updates.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 10:16 AM   #2
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
I'd be really annoyed. To me, it sounds like water got in the trunk somehow and damaged the amplifier and possibly other modules.

I'm not familiar with how the G42 is designed, but E92's (maybe e90's too) had issues with the sunroof drains getting clogged and water would flow into the trunk and ultimately fry the amplifier and other modules - satellite radio being one of them.

It's entirely possible that the trunk wasn't sealed properly when it was assembled and water got in there from being out in the rain or going through car washes.

This is all just speculation of course.

I'd be very clear in my response to the dealer telling them there has been no accident to the rear of the car and no liquids spilt (assuming that's true.)

Good luck!
      01-19-2022, 10:35 AM   #3
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your reply, ZIPSTIC!

Yes, absolutely no spills or accidents. I will be sure to reiterate this. I'm going to remain calm and give the dealership the benefit of doubt that they are doing all they can at the moment.

Also, they've told me a loaner vehicle is not available.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:31 AM   #4
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN1P3 View Post

Yes, absolutely no spills or accidents. I will be sure to reiterate this. I'm going to remain calm and give the dealership the benefit of doubt that they are doing all they can at the moment.

Sounds like a dealer to avoid, or is that the norm for a new vehicle in that a dealer would not make a loaner available?
Appreciate 1
yanks1484.00
      01-19-2022, 11:54 AM   #5
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
Quote:

Sounds like a dealer to avoid, or is that the norm for a new vehicle in that a dealer would not make a loaner available?
The only reason I didn't push more for a loaner is because I understand due to the current automobile market loaners are hard to come by. It is unfortunate and I do feel like they should make more of an effort.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 12:20 PM   #6
drpie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240iX on 02/09/2022

Garage List
2022 M240iX  [0.00]
I understand how painful this can be to deal with and feel your pain; seems to be one of those "gremlins"; what is KAFAS ?; still waiting for mine to be put on the ship; order date 11/21/21 and ready for transport 12/28/2021
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 12:24 PM   #7
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

Start getting documentation, you may need to go in this direction, sounds like the 30 days could be applicable to your issue, besides some of the other points.

direction..https://www.marylandattorneygeneral....CPD/lemon.aspx

Is it a Lemon?
Maryland's lemon law applies only to cars, light trucks and motorcycles that:

1. Are registered in Maryland, and

2. Have been driven less than 18,000 miles and been owned less than 24 months.

(Even if you are not the original owner, the Lemon Law might apply to your vehicle if the original owner purchased it less than 24 months ago.)

The law provides that a dealer or manufacturer must correct a defect within 30 days after the consumer writes to the manufacturer by certified mail. If the manufacturer or dealer is unable to do so, the consumer is entitled to a refund or replacement vehicle under the Lemon Law if the car has:

A brake or steering failure that was not corrected after the first repair attempt, and that causes the vehicle to fail Maryland's safety inspection; or

Any one problem that substantially impairs the use and market value of the vehicle that was not corrected in four repair attempts; or

Any number of problems that substantially impair the use and market value of the vehicle that have caused it to be out of service for a cumulative total of 30 or more days.

If you suspect your car is a lemon—for example, if the dealer has tried once or twice unsuccessfully to repair the problem and you believe the problem substantially impairs the use and market value of the vehicle—you should write to the manufacturer immediately. You do not need to wait until the dealer has made the four repair attempts, or until the car has been out of service for 30 days.
Appreciate 1
SN1P3211.50
      01-19-2022, 12:36 PM   #8
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpie View Post
I understand how painful this can be to deal with and feel your pain; seems to be one of those "gremlins"; what is KAFAS ?; still waiting for mine to be put on the ship; order date 11/21/21 and ready for transport 12/28/2021
KAFAS refers to the camera/sensors located behind the rear view mirror.

RUEBARB - Thank you for the advice! I did start to ponder myself where this situation falls in regards to lemon laws. I may shoot BMW an email just to get this on their radar in case things need to be escalated. For now, before going that route, I will wait to hear from the dealership and hope they can provide a fair/satisfactory solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 12:52 PM   #9
JDM_240
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i (Thundernight)

I would just stress that there was nothing spilled and let them go about the warranty process. They will want to make this right since it’s a new model. Once they set up a case with BMW and they remotely plug into the car for diagnosis, they can see exactly what the tech sees. BMW NA is inundated with issues like these so I would just be patient and ask your SA that if this issue is going to take longer than expected, a loaner car would be appreciated. Remember your car is more expensive than your x1,x2,x3, 330, 430. You deserve the same courtesy as they provide their “5 guys”
Appreciate 1
SN1P3211.50
      01-20-2022, 08:19 AM   #10
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

No communication yesterday so I messaged the SA this morning if there was any update and if a loaner was available:

"I will definitely try to get you a loaner. We have ordered a new amplifier and we need to reprogram. I trying to get an eta on part arrival. This will all be under warranty."

Still very curious why the tech was asking about a spill/accident.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 10:30 AM   #11
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
OP - I'm guessing that you go to BMW rockville? If so there are no loaners. I took 2 cars in for service recently and have never seen the waiting room so full. I have a good relationship with my SA and she always hooks me up with a car of my choice, but even she couldn't get me one. They sold most of them.
Here's my take - dealer has gone through ownership change recently and place is a bit of a shit show. You need to work with the SA and the shop foreman to be heard and to acknowledge your issue, then things will move.
Appreciate 2
SN1P3211.50
Poochie9107.50
      01-20-2022, 11:49 AM   #12
SWOHammer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i (SOOOOOON!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
OP - I'm guessing that you go to BMW rockville? If so there are no loaners. I took 2 cars in for service recently and have never seen the waiting room so full. I have a good relationship with my SA and she always hooks me up with a car of my choice, but even she couldn't get me one. They sold most of them.
Here's my take - dealer has gone through ownership change recently and place is a bit of a shit show. You need to work with the SA and the shop foreman to be heard and to acknowledge your issue, then things will move.
Good to know about that dealership…unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 12:07 PM   #13
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate the insight/advice! First service is coming up for our X3, and honestly might travel further out just to see what other service departments are like.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 01:58 PM   #14
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
I appreciate the insight/advice! First service is coming up for our X3, and honestly might travel further out just to see what other service departments are like.
You could, but I'm not sure you'll find much better unfortunately. If its a first service, you'll be fine. Its a basic oil change and some checks, which rockville should be able to do easily. I've had BMWs serviced there since 2002 and generally they are good. I just felt that recently they've been a bit distracted
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 04:00 PM   #15
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
You could, but I'm not sure you'll find much better unfortunately. If its a first service, you'll be fine. Its a basic oil change and some checks, which rockville should be able to do easily. I've had BMWs serviced there since 2002 and generally they are good. I just felt that recently they've been a bit distracted
Quote:
It's not just in your neck off the woods, I'm hearing that throughout the country, BMW dealers are no longer giving out loaners like they used to, unless it's absolutely warranted.

What a shame, prior to this current automotive climate, they used to be extraordinary generous with their loaner cars, as long as you made a reservation ahead of time, one was guaranteed - I used to plan road-trips around my service dates... 😁

Now, you're lucky if they rent you a third-party brand, since those are also in short supply. 😙
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 04:02 PM   #16
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I used to plan road-trips around my service dates... 😁

"yeah sure, you can keep it over the weekend" LOL
Appreciate 1
Poochie9107.50
      01-21-2022, 07:08 AM   #17
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sounds like my car needs a new RAM

"So we have ordered an amplifier for your vehicle but there is a freeze on this part from Germany. We don't know at this point when exactly it will arrive but we have an order placed. Once the part arrive we will bring you back in but for now I am going to get your vehicle ready for pick up."

Is this worth mentioning to the Sales Manager who sold me the car? I wonder if BMW is compensating their customers for this known issue. I've heard the Receiver Audio Module (RAM) has caused a stop sale across other BMW models.

I purchased new to avoid issues/headaches, yet here we are. That 2020 M2 is looking real good right about now .
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 07:57 AM   #18
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Sounds like my car needs a new RAM

"So we have ordered an amplifier for your vehicle but there is a freeze on this part from Germany. We don't know at this point when exactly it will arrive but we have an order placed. Once the part arrive we will bring you back in but for now I am going to get your vehicle ready for pick up."
Personally, I don't believe anything is wrong with the RAM and that has nothing to with KAFAS cam.. Each issue might just be isolated. And if the RAM was truly defective, it just wouldn't work or would display a obvious shadow fault, within the system.

It sounds to me like the dealer is just taking a shot in the dark since they can't figure out what the true issue is and hope it floats. Trust me, I've seen this maybe times before; a dealer tech being clueless and just keep spinning the wheel by swapping parts, on BMW AG's tab, naturally. I didn't mind, more time with their loaner car, while they frivolously rack up an unnecessary bill.

It sounds to me like that there might be an issue just with the KAFAS but software or calibration related or a maybe a short or loose wire, within the system but not actually a true hardware defect.

However, I understand your position; you're at their mercy.

Too bad you don't have an intricate code reader like ISTA+ to diagnose the faults yourself. With that, I used to instruct the dealer tech how to repair my vehicle. Sometimes in life, you, yourself, have to take the initiative to solve your own problems.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 08:08 AM   #19
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Personally, I don't believe anything is wrong with the RAM and that has nothing to with KAFAS cam.. Each issue might just isolated. And if the RAM was truly defective, it just wouldn't work or would display a obvious shadow fault, within the
It sounds to me like that there might be an issue just with the KAFAS but software related or a maybe a short or loose wire, within the system but not actually a true defective.

However, I understand your position; you're at their mercy.
Yes, it's unfortunate indeed. It really shouldn't require the consumer providing insight for there to be a solution. I imagine most of their consumers don't even know what the KAFAS or RAM is.

I will simply proceed with their process and see where that takes me, as there really is no alternative. If vehicle is not repaired to satisfaction after RAM replacement, I will have to revisit advice from RUEBARB above.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 09:08 AM   #20
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
The only reason I didn't push more for a loaner is because I understand due to the current automobile market loaners are hard to come by. It is unfortunate and I do feel like they should make more of an effort.
My dealership made a deal with hertz so if they run out of their own loaners, they provide one from Hertz. My car was in for an extended period to replace the PHEV battery pack so I asked if they could upgrade me from a stripped 330i to something more like my loaded 5 series. They upgraded me to a 2019 Cadillac XTS.

You are being too generous to your dealership. I suspect that the question they asked was required by BMW corporate but the loaner issue is a red light to me.

I would look for a better dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 08:42 AM   #21
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update:

Car was returned to me while we wait for a replacement RAM. No ETA.

As others have stated, I'm very skeptical that a new RAM will fix the KAFAS issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 08:46 AM   #22
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just want to provide an update to this in case anyone is curious.

RAM has arrived! Dropping car off today, and hopefully the new RAM will resolve the issues.
Appreciate 5
danallxt739.50
PNW240227.00
TJZ67201844.50
02M3ForMe4278.00