home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) Photos, Videos and Builds

03-06-2022, 11:46 AM   #1
EM3RLD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 230i

1st Week Impression on Brooklyn Grey + Black 230i MSport w/ Premium Package (No ACC)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Ordering process
- On 2/1/2022 Ordered M240i with BSM + Cognac + 792 wheels (no allocation)
- On 2/20/2022, the dealer where I placed my order received a Brooklyn Grey 230i with Black wheels
- On 2/21/2022, I test drove the 230i to find out what it's like to drive a car of that size because I was coming from a combo of E46M3 and Honda Accord. I loved the way it drove, the thick steering wheel and its great agility. So after the test drive, I asked my CA to give me the numbers. It was $8k less than the M240i and put a good cushion on my wallet
- On 2/22/2022 (great date btw), I made a decision to take what's already on the lot. I asked my CA to move my deposit to this car, put a SOLD sign and no more test drive
- On 2/26/2022, picked up this car

First impressions
Power
I don't know what the M240i would feel like but compared to my 333HP E46 M3 that I had before this car, the 230i has enough power to handle any kind of drive on the city streets and in the highway. The only difference is, with the M3 all I had all I had to do was press the gas pedal to overpass a car in the freeway, with the 230i, I use the "Sprint" function to downshift and pass em. And lemme tell you, that Sprint function turns the car into a beast. The engine sound becomes deep and loud and you get into the 3 digit speed in no time. Scary but exhilarating at the same time. Around the city streets, comfort allows you to drive comfortably but when you need to speed up, when you apply more pressure on the gas pedal, it picks up. If you want quick pick up, get on Sport of Sport plus and you're good to go. Again, I don't know what the M240i is like, but for me, the 230i is enough. When it stopped becoming enough, I can trade up when the time is right. But overall, this is a good place to start my BMW journey, especially if you are new to the brand.

Handling
It's a rear wheel drive so it drove just like my E46 M3. Making turns are steady and tight. The thick steering wheel promotes that perception even more. Whenever I hold the steering wheel, I feel like I am handling a solid, structured car, which is a great feeling. And expected out of a German BMW car. I can only compare the handling with my wife's X3 that is an X-drive. In comparison, I would say that when I drive my wife' X-drive, I can feel how the car won't budge in turns, especially in the snow. But with the 230i because of the rear wheel drive, I get a sense that it's lighter on the front and allows me to throw it around a little more. More fun. Again, glad I chose the 230i. Will update you again if it changes during rainy season coming up.

Looks
The decision maker, in regards to looks, for me on this car instead of waiting for the M240i was two things. The black wheels and the black rear spoiler. I know some of you don't like the duck bill, but I think it is unique. And probably unique to the 230i because as far as I know the M240i comes with body color spoiler (correct me if I'm wrong). With the shadowline package on the 230i, the car practically looks JUST like the M240i and this time plus a different color on the spoiler, (that matches the black wheels) making it even more sporty. There is no doubt this color is outside of my comfort zone (as my wife says it), probably the purple would be more in my comfort zone (I had a bright blue and bright red car before this one), but it is this unique color with the black wheels (also my first time) is what makes this brand new design unique

Suprises
I love it when something I buy gives me more than I expected. Here are a few things I didn't expect to get out of this car
- I can open the car with my Apple watch, in addition to my phone
- I car START and drive my car without a key, just with my phone on the dock and a PIN entered (mind blowing to me at least)
- I can schedule the car to start on its own at a scheduled time every day (never had this on my previous cars)
- The menu allows you to set the engine sound as 3 levels or adaptive to the mode you are in. Meaning, if you want your car to be loud all the time… it can.
- Sprint function … enough said.
- The Adaptive LED lights … enough said.
- Steering intervention = lazy lane keep. It's not exactly lane keep but when I am sleepy and my car swerves, at least I know that it will auto correct
- The combination of speed limiter and setting the Cruise control to the speed limit helps me stay aware of going within a safe speed. Going 10+ speed limit on this car feels like going at speed limit. I dont know what it is, so when I overpass, I almost always end up at a speed that is about 20+ speed limit. The live cockpit has a "set" text next to the speed limit it reads, when you click Set at this point, the speed will automatically set the speet to the speed limit. It may not be what you want, but when you see a police car in a distance, all you have to do is press SET, and you automatically brings the speed down to the speed limit. Convenient.

After 1 week of commute:
Gas mileage
- I ended up at around 28mpg according to the live cockpit. I drive 80 miles every day total and starting with a full tank on Monday, I ended up with 20 miles of gas left on the end of Thursday. I combined driving comfort, sport plus and eco plus near the end of the week.
- Eco PRO is a horrible way to drive btw, Even though it may have given me more mileage but I hate pressing the gas pedal and seeing no response. If you want the best gas mileage with the best experience, Comfort is still the best mode
- Sprint function is cool but it is a gas guzzler

So far that is my full report of the car from the point I changed my mind until today when I have driven it a full week of commute.

Here's my advice (just my 2 cents):
- If you are reluctant about getting the 230i instead of the M240i … dont. The 230 is a great car, you won't miss out on anything, especially from the looks department.
- If you are worried about the color combo, wheel combo, seat color etc … again, which I was because there was none on the road to compare to … don't. I have seen this car in grey and purple in person. They both look awesome. They look nothing like the pictures and videos. In real like, the car looks big and muscular, unique and proportional.
- If you are worried about not getting ACC (Active Cruise Control), which I was, … also dont. The way the car drives, you may not miss it. Trust me, you'd rather be driving it than it driving you

Here you go with the pictures. Thanks for reading.
And thank you for everyone who have answered my questions from my previous posts, and /or provide your photos to help me with my decision.
Attached Images

Appreciate 24
Roadwar128.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
redcars102.00
Sedan_Clan25106.00
Mnoob211.50
Game7405.50
Lady Jane70852.50
DNYC1919478.00
2m311.00
JustChris17487.50
Jimjamz4581.50
jp031962.00
KRS_SN13529.50
djbonsu113.00
RoGo330i142.50
Dinosoar290.50
MPSdriver192.00
M3 boi3211.00
      03-06-2022, 11:51 AM   #2
EM3RLD
Private
United_States
Rep

Also, if you want to see the Sprint function in action, I have the video here:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cak5tv1..._web_copy_link
Appreciate 2
MPSdriver192.00
Vervain397.50
      03-06-2022, 03:35 PM   #3
Roadwar
Old Grumpy Guy
Rep
Drives: M240i xDrive

Thanks for the detailed impressions/experiences! I really don't think there's a bad choice between the 230 and 240. Congrats and enjoy the ride!

gone: beloved '74 Mazda RX-3, various V8 Camaros and V8 Mustangs, various other Mazdas including a '10 Mazdaspeed 3, several late model Dodge Chargers including a 6.4 liter R/T. There were others along the way but I didn't love them much.
Appreciate 1
EM3RLD82.50
      03-06-2022, 05:20 PM   #4
Golddog
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Congrats on the 230. I considered the 230 having a current turbo 4 in my Alfa and my past 2 other cars had a turbo 4. I just couldn’t pass up the idea of getting back into a turbo straight 6, especially the B58. These engines are a dying breed and the decision for me was not to settle. That being said, you have a great car and your write-up should please anyone who is getting, or contemplating, a 230. Good job.
EM3RLD82.50
Caerus531.50
      03-07-2022, 10:44 AM   #5
hermiti
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Glad you like it, it looks sharp!
Appreciate 1
EM3RLD82.50
      03-07-2022, 01:32 PM   #6
khoa@x-ph.com
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Nice write up. Congrats on your new car!!
Appreciate 2
      03-07-2022, 10:52 PM   #7
EM3RLD
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2022, 12:21 AM   #8
redcars
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228xi

What's your take on ride comfort? What tires do you have, and what are your roads like? Ride comfort is what usually takes the fun out of fun cars when driven daily.
Appreciate 1
EM3RLD82.50
      03-08-2022, 08:59 AM   #9
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Great color combo. Congrats on the new ride, seems like you are loving it and life right now

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
EM3RLD82.50
      03-08-2022, 09:10 AM   #10
jdub486
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C dct/ e90 335d dd

The brooklyn gray looks really nice in cloudy conditions. I haven't seen it in bright sun. Does it basically go white or does it remain gray?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 09:12 AM   #11
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM3RLD View Post
Ordering process
- On 2/20/2022, the dealer where I placed my order received a Brooklyn Grey 230i with Black wheels
- On 2/21/2022, I test drove the 230i to find out what it's like to drive a car of that size because I was coming from a combo of E46M3 and Honda Accord. I loved the way it drove, the thick steering wheel and its great agility. So after the test drive, I asked my CA to give me the numbers. It was $8k less than the M240i and put a good cushion on my wallet
- On 2/22/2022 (great date btw), I made a decision to take what's already on the lot. I asked my CA to move my deposit to this car, put a SOLD sign and no more test drive

First impressions
Power
I don't know what the M240i would feel like but compared to my 333HP E46 M3 that I had before this car, the 230i has enough power to handle any kind of drive on the city streets and in the highway. The only difference is, with the M3 all I had all I had to do was press the gas pedal to overpass a car in the freeway, with the 230i, I use the "Sprint" function to downshift and pass em. And lemme tell you, that Sprint function turns the car into a beast. The engine sound becomes deep and loud and you get into the 3 digit speed in no time. Scary but exhilarating at the same time. Around the city streets, comfort allows you to drive comfortably but when you need to speed up, when you apply more pressure on the gas pedal, it picks up. If you want quick pick up, get on Sport of Sport plus and you're good to go. Again, I don't know what the M240i is like, but for me, the 230i is enough. When it stopped becoming enough, I can trade up when the time is right. But overall, this is a good place to start my BMW journey, especially if you are new to the brand.

Handling
It's a rear wheel drive so it drove just like my E46 M3. Making turns are steady and tight. The thick steering wheel promotes that perception even more. Whenever I hold the steering wheel, I feel like I am handling a solid, structured car, which is a great feeling. And expected out of a German BMW car. I can only compare the handling with my wife's X3 that is an X-drive. In comparison, I would say that when I drive my wife' X-drive, I can feel how the car won't budge in turns, especially in the snow. But with the 230i because of the rear wheel drive, I get a sense that it's lighter on the front and allows me to throw it around a little more. More fun. Again, glad I chose the 230i. Will update you again if it changes during rainy season coming up.

Looks
The decision maker, in regards to looks, for me on this car instead of waiting for the M240i was two things. The black wheels and the black rear spoiler. I know some of you don't like the duck bill, but I think it is unique. And probably unique to the 230i because as far as I know the M240i comes with body color spoiler (correct me if I'm wrong). With the shadowline package on the 230i, the car practically looks JUST like the M240i and this time plus a different color on the spoiler, (that matches the black wheels) making it even more sporty. There is no doubt this color is outside of my comfort zone (as my wife says it), probably the purple would be more in my comfort zone (I had a bright blue and bright red car before this one), but it is this unique color with the black wheels (also my first time) is what makes this brand new design unique

Suprises
I love it when something I buy gives me more than I expected. Here are a few things I didn't expect to get out of this car
- I car START and drive my car without a key, just with my phone on the dock and a PIN entered (mind blowing to me at least)
- I can schedule the car to start on its own at a scheduled time every day (never had this on my previous cars)
- The menu allows you to set the engine sound as 3 levels or adaptive to the mode you are in. Meaning, if you want your car to be loud all the time… it can.
- Steering intervention = lazy lane keep. It's not exactly lane keep but when I am sleepy and my car swerves, at least I know that it will auto correct
- The combination of speed limiter and setting the Cruise control to the speed limit helps me stay aware of going within a safe speed. Going 10+ speed limit on this car feels like going at speed limit. I dont know what it is, so when I overpass, I almost always end up at a speed that is about 20+ speed limit. The live cockpit has a "set" text next to the speed limit it reads, when you click Set at this point, the speed will automatically set the speet to the speed limit. It may not be what you want, but when you see a police car in a distance, all you have to do is press SET, and you automatically brings the speed down to the speed limit. Convenient.

After 1 week of commute:
Gas mileage
- I ended up at around 28mpg according to the live cockpit. I drive 80 miles every day total and starting with a full tank on Monday, I ended up with 20 miles of gas left on the end of Thursday. I combined driving comfort, sport plus and eco plus near the end of the week.
- Eco PRO is a horrible way to drive btw, Even though it may have given me more mileage but I hate pressing the gas pedal and seeing no response. If you want the best gas mileage with the best experience, Comfort is still the best mode

So far that is my full report of the car from the point I changed my mind until today when I have driven it a full week of commute.

- If you are reluctant about getting the 230i instead of the M240i … dont. The 230 is a great car, you won't miss out on anything, especially from the looks department.
- If you are worried about the color combo, wheel combo, seat color etc … again, which I was because there was none on the road to compare to … don't. I have seen this car in grey and purple in person. They both look awesome. They look nothing like the pictures and videos. In real like, the car looks big and muscular, unique and proportional.
- If you are worried about not getting ACC (Active Cruise Control), which I was, … also dont. The way the car drives, you may not miss it. Trust me, you'd rather be driving it than it driving you

And thank you for everyone who have answered my questions from my previous posts, and /or provide your photos to help me with my decision.
Nice car OP. Thanks for the post. Like you, I love when a purchase surprises me.
Appreciate 1
EM3RLD82.50
      03-08-2022, 09:30 AM   #12
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Name:  Beautiful thing.gif
Views: 7151
Size:  46.5 KB
Appreciate 1
EM3RLD82.50
      03-08-2022, 09:43 AM   #13
PG91
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMZ z4 sDrive35is - SOLD

Quote:
Ordering process

First impressions
Power

Handling

Looks

Suprises

After 1 week of commute:
Gas mileage

Wonderful write-up! I've been on the fence between the two for awhile and I appreciate your detailed response.

In addition, I have added a couple photos of a rear facing car seat for anyone with kiddos that are curious how it fits! Passenger seat gets pushed pretty far forward so whomever is there will be pretty uncomfortable but I think my wife will fit lol 😎
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
FreeDarko217.00
EM3RLD82.50
MPSdriver192.00
      03-08-2022, 09:52 AM   #14
swampfox94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 - M2 Competition

Garage List
Controversial opinion but I think the new 2 looks better without the wing mirrors
Appreciate 1
EM3RLD82.50
      03-08-2022, 10:17 AM   #15
theserbatron
Private
Rep
Drives: S3 8V --> M240i F22

Great car and better write up! Hope you enjoy to for many years to come
Appreciate 1
EM3RLD82.50
      03-08-2022, 10:55 AM   #16
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Sorry, it makes me think BRZ.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 11:24 AM   #17
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

good looking ride!
Appreciate 1
EM3RLD82.50
      03-08-2022, 11:43 AM   #18
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
What is the "sprint" function? Is that essentially going into Sport+ and then more right foot?
      03-08-2022, 12:41 PM   #19
440i6MT
Brother
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i, soon E60 M5 Manual

Boy-racer mobile
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 01:08 PM   #20
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

These cars are good bang for buck and looking increasingly wise of a decision when observing current gas prices.
      03-08-2022, 02:36 PM   #21
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Congrats. I test drove the 330 M Sport quite extensively and thought it was a decent enough handling car, but was too big and could be more playful/raw (subjective I know). The 230 M Sport was clearly more the car I was looking for but was months away from arriving at dealers at the time.
Appreciate 2
EM3RLD82.50
MPSdriver192.00
      03-08-2022, 03:08 PM   #22
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Ordering process

First impressions
Power

Handling

Looks

Suprises

After 1 week of commute:
Gas mileage

Having driven both, can't say I agree with that. Handling is drastically tighter in the M240...and the acceleration...well that goes without saying.

That being said, the 230 is a great car. Fun, good on gas and comfortable. Congrats on the purchase. She's gorgeous.