E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > HELP! N53 intake manifold removal

03-23-2022, 01:08 PM   #1
Sicis
Private
Rep
Drives: E93

Garage List
2007 Bmw 330i  [0.00]
HELP! N53 intake manifold removal

I'm trying to remove intake manifold to clean the intake ports. And it's being hold by this thing what appears to be power steering i have electric power steering. I disconnected the lower hose which connects to side of the block and thin light oily liquid is running out - think it's power steering. Other hose leads to back of the engine i assume it will leak the fluid out as well. Anyone knows how to fill up this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 01:39 PM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
If you've got electric steering it won't be power steering fluid. More likely it's the oil vapour condensate from the PCV system draining back to the sump via the return line.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 01:49 PM   #3
Sicis
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 Bmw 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
If you've got electric steering it won't be power steering fluid. More likely it's the oil vapour condensate from the PCV system draining back to the sump via the return line.
Thanks for replay.
Hose 1 is pcv hose which is disconnected on the back of the pcv. Hose 2 also leads to the back bit lower on block - havent opened it yet. Hose 3 leads to side of block where the oil leaked out when i disconnected and it was quite fast running i just snapped it back on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 02:18 PM   #4
Sicis
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 Bmw 330i  [0.00]
I checked real oem apperently it's named as coolant hose and it's connected to Egr valve. So i suppose i'll just need to refill coolant. In that case i suppose i'll flush my coolant.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_3974
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 05:06 PM   #5
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Yes I think you're right. The EGR must have some kind of cooling circuit. Don't think you'll have lost much coolant. A quick top-up will be all you need. Can't see why you'd need to remove those hoses to disconnect the inlet manifold though...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 05:16 PM   #6
Sicis
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 Bmw 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Yes I think you're right. The EGR must have some kind of cooling circuit. Don't think you'll have lost much coolant. A quick top-up will be all you need. Can't see why you'd need to remove those hoses to disconnect the inlet manifold though...
Egr is apperently attached to the intake manifold. Yeah top up wouldn't be a problem, if i'd knew what coolant sits in there. I actually haven't done it. Haven't had any cooling issues. So in either case new fluid wouldn't hurt.
Tomorrow getting back on it, the intake valves looked nasty as much as i could see with half pulled off manifold.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 02:21 AM   #7
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

When I removed mine I didn't remove the cooler from the EGR I removed the EGR assembly from the manifold. It is much easier that way. You need to lift the manifold up and sort of fold it over to get access to the 4 bolts that hold the EGR body on the manifold.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 04:37 PM   #8
Sicis
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 Bmw 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0l0dom0l0 View Post
When I removed mine I didn't remove the cooler from the EGR I removed the EGR assembly from the manifold. It is much easier that way. You need to lift the manifold up and sort of fold it over to get access to the 4 bolts that hold the EGR body on the manifold.
Thanks for the tip. That was way easier. Though the cleaning part just horrible. Was busy for 6 hours just for 4 ports and still couldn't get them perfect left other 2 to sit in crc valve cleaner over night. The smallest brush I could find was too big for this job so i had to improvise with some tools. At least a compressor air gun came in handy. Honestly I don't expect to feel much of an improvement, as they weren't that terrible to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 04:33 PM   #9
Sicis
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 Bmw 330i  [0.00]
So on Saturday i drove the car back to home from my cousins garage. Wasn't expecting to feel improvements but could definitely tell the difference. Engine runs so much smoother on highway. And accelerates nice and even through the powerband.
Today was going to work and spotify was changing a song so it was completely silent in the car for a moment and i heard a strange noise - turned down music and yes there is noise.. A ticking noise
Can't hear it while it's idling or revving. Only when i step on the throttle and in whole rev range. Driving steadily can't really hear it. As the revs go up so does the tempo of the sound. The noise reminded me a bit of my ex-e46 heater fan in the winter I tried to catch the noise on video but it's really difficult to hear anything. I'l leave the links here: https://youtube.com/shorts/qyy_IvUQfsA?feature=share
https://youtube.com/shorts/A2hBayv_00A?feature=share
After cleaning the valves and assembling the intake, i changed oil and spark plugs. Car runs great, has no fault codes except 3104 stratified uneven run (still plan to update dme and reset adaptations).
What could have went wrong? I'm having doubts about if i fastened good enough the metal pipe from egr at the back of the engine. I think the metal gasket between them is making that noise. Any other possible sources?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2024, 12:53 PM   #10
snoopy1664
Rep
Drives: E93 2008

Hi,

I know this is an old post but I desperately need help.
I've dismantled most of the engine and disconnected all pipes, electrical connections etc but I just can't get the exhaust manifold off.
It feels like it is tugging at the back. I've read through this thread but I can't lift the manifold more than a few inches so I don't understand how you could fold it over to get to the EGR block (if that is what is causing my problem)
I can post photos if they would help?
Would really appreciate any help. I need to change the starter motor.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2024, 12:57 PM   #11
randomf
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 325i

Have you loosened the EGR pipe? Number 8 on https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_3974
Appreciate 0