E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > e90 335i 2nd LPFP Activation via Exhaust Valve Control

06-06-2022, 06:43 AM   #1
YOURDY
Chasing Dreams With RWD
Australia
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i RHD N54

Garage List
e90 335i 2nd LPFP Activation via Exhaust Valve Control

Hi guys!

Just wondering if anyone has wired up their car to trigger the 2nd pump off of the valve controller. I live in Melbourne and my tuner (Tim) asked me to wire the 2nd pump via the exhaust valve control that way he can turn on the pump via RPM. I know vincent and a few others have done this before also and i suspect this process is starting to catch on instead of the hobbs switch so i was just wondering how many people have actually done this and do they have photos or a diagram of how they did theres?

So from my understand to access the solenoid/controller its in the boot under the lining on the left hand side. We will be using the signal to the solenoid from the ecu as our trigger since in the tuning software you can open the exhaust valve's via RPM so this will allow us to activate the 2nd pump via RPM. Before i take a multimetre and start finding what wires the trigger etc (if theres more than 2 wires) i just wanted to know if anyones done it before. i believe in this diagram where the vacuum line leads into the boot is where the control will be and i have to piggy back off of that. Once again if anyone has done this before, can you please take a photo and show me which wires you used to save me some time? thanks heaps! Trying to hit that 450rwkw(600whp) by the end of the month! Almost there just need this 2nd pump for the last push!

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 02:15 PM   #2
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I believe you are correct. When I wired my exhaust valve for my turner exhaust I piggybacked off of a wire in the same area in the trunk.

My question is that if the exhaust valve opens at around 3500rpm (I think?) then what is the benefit of starting the second pump at 3500 or so as opposed to activating it when the car in fact needs more fuel (like through the Hobbs switch). Just curious is all
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 05:09 PM   #3
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

You can make it so that the exhaust flap opens at a certain rpm and torque request so that would work pretty well. Smart use of existing IO, much slicker than a hobbs switch.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 08:53 PM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soden82 View Post
I believe you are correct. When I wired my exhaust valve for my turner exhaust I piggybacked off of a wire in the same area in the trunk.

My question is that if the exhaust valve opens at around 3500rpm (I think?) then what is the benefit of starting the second pump at 3500 or so as opposed to activating it when the car in fact needs more fuel (like through the Hobbs switch). Just curious is all
They change the parameters in the tune they will write. As is it won’t work at all for the purposes of driving secondary fuel pump as the valve depending on engine temp too, not only rpm and load.
Appreciate 1
Soden82490.50
      06-07-2022, 02:04 AM   #5
YOURDY
Chasing Dreams With RWD
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
They change the parameters in the tune they will write. As is it won’t work at all for the purposes of driving secondary fuel pump as the valve depending on engine temp too, not only rpm and load.

Correct. Tim would use RPM and Torque to turn on the 2nd fuel pump using existing IO and interface instead of a hobbs switch, it gives him much more freedom in the tune since its now mainly RPM activated thanks to MHD how you can play around with the exhaust valve in there instead of comes on at 13psi or 15psi i just wanted to see if people in the USA have done this or its just us in AUS/Melb starting to do it.
Appreciate 1
Soden82490.50
      06-07-2022, 09:07 PM   #6
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOURDY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
They change the parameters in the tune they will write. As is it won't work at all for the purposes of driving secondary fuel pump as the valve depending on engine temp too, not only rpm and load.

Correct. Tim would use RPM and Torque to turn on the 2nd fuel pump using existing IO and interface instead of a hobbs switch, it gives him much more freedom in the tune since its now mainly RPM activated thanks to MHD how you can play around with the exhaust valve in there instead of comes on at 13psi or 15psi i just wanted to see if people in the USA have done this or its just us in AUS/Melb starting to do it.
Who is tuning your car?
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 10:04 AM   #7
YOURDY
Chasing Dreams With RWD
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soden82 View Post
Who is tuning your car?
Tim Murray here in australia, he's an absolute gun with these here.
Appreciate 1
Soden82490.50