E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Any advice on getting stuck vanos solenoids out? | E90 320i

07-05-2022, 01:55 PM   #1
billabong02
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BWM 6 Series F06

Any advice on getting stuck vanos solenoids out? | E90 320i

Hi,

I wanna get my vanos solenoids a good clean but can't seem to get them out. They've likely never come out since the car was new so there stuck in pretty good. I'm able to slightly rotate them left and right but can't get any kind of leverage to pull them out with anything. There's hardly anything to grab onto, It's a really stupid design on the N43 (Other engines have a little brace that makes it easier). Even tried warming up the engine a little bit to get the oil circulating but to no avail.

I don't wanna have to go to a garage for this. Some help on this incredibly annoying issue would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 02:54 PM   #2
jwilalex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 318i LCI SE Business Edn

If they rotate then luckily they’re not seized in there. They have a couple of rubber o rings on the inside so they do put up a bit of resistance when pulling out. OE seals are green in colour and only cost a couple of quid from dealers. Make sure both come out with the solenoid. Quite often the larger one remains just inside the block, the smaller one (if memory serves right) normally stays on.

Wiggle and pull, they will release.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
-claw-4.50
      07-06-2022, 01:33 PM   #3
billabong02
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi jwillalex, they're still not coming out. They rotate a bit but only with force, not easily. They rotate only a fraction, not enough to wiggle them out. It's pretty frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 01:40 PM   #4
billabong02
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

The other thing I'm considering which may be dangerous is to attempt removing them when the engine is fully warm...need to do a bit more research about whether or not that's a good idea
Appreciate 0