Featured on BIMMERPOST.com

https://www.youtube.com/autobahnsocal
Appreciate 6
      08-09-2022, 09:26 AM   #2
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

i agree with the gloss black being terrible. on the inside and outside bits. i ordered a carbon fiber overlay for the passenger dash because thats in eye-shot most while i'm driving. i will say, i love the back lights. one of my favorite parts of the car tbh. then again, i never liked BMWs at all til the 2019 refreshes, which i didnt like but thought BMW was trending the right direction, and this car is the first one i actually "like"

re: break in period - that just means til 1,200 miles, right?
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2022, 09:28 AM   #3
Autobahn SoCal
Performance Driving Coach
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 (G87)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyfontaine View Post
i agree with the gloss black being terrible. on the inside and outside bits. i ordered a carbon fiber overlay for the passenger dash because thats in eye-shot most while i'm driving. i will say, i love the back lights. one of my favorite parts of the car tbh. then again, i never liked BMWs at all til the 2019 refreshes, which i didnt like but thought BMW was trending the right direction, and this car is the first one i actually "like"

re: break in period - that just means til 1,200 miles, right?
1,200 miles correct

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 11:26 AM   #4
E63M6_G42M240i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 TR G80 M3CX

Everything said is subjective personal opinion, except maybe the stock brakes fading on the track. I'd pay for the better brakes than a marginal stereo upgrade. It's not a Bowers and Wilkins. The non opening of the grill when you want, the stock spoiler, black wheels, complaining about the black trim. All subjective. People already know that black shows dirt and scratches more yet they still buy black cars and pay more money for shadowline. Saying that older people don't want color is bollocks. Regardless of age, thundernight and the other colors are better than a gloss primer (and that's my opinion).
Appreciate 1
Habber3513.50
      08-09-2022, 11:30 AM   #5
Autobahn SoCal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E63M6_G42M240i View Post
Everything said is subjective personal opinion, except maybe the stick brakes fading on the track. I'd pay for the better brakes than a marginal stereo upgrade. It's not a Bowers and Wilkins. The non opening of the grill when you want, the stock spoiler, black wheels, complaining about the black trim. All subjective. People already know that black shows dirt and scratches more yet they still buy black cars and pay more money for shadowline. Saying that older people don't want color is bollocks. Regardless of age, thundernight and the other colors are better than a gloss primer (and that's my opinion).
Exactly, subjective comments hence why it's an individual owner opinion review and not from BMW.

Appreciate 6
      08-09-2022, 11:31 AM   #6
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Quote:
Everything said is subjective personal opinion
Yes. In other words, a review based on personal experience.
Appreciate 6
      08-09-2022, 11:40 AM   #7
E63M6_G42M240i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 TR G80 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn SoCal View Post
Quote:
Everything said is subjective personal opinion, except maybe the stick brakes fading on the track. I'd pay for the better brakes than a marginal stereo upgrade. It's not a Bowers and Wilkins. The non opening of the grill when you want, the stock spoiler, black wheels, complaining about the black trim. All subjective. People already know that black shows dirt and scratches more yet they still buy black cars and pay more money for shadowline. Saying that older people don't want color is bollocks. Regardless of age, thundernight and the other colors are better than a gloss primer (and that's my opinion).
Exactly, subjective comments hence why it's an individual owner opinion review and not from BMW.
In addition to personal opinion, some of the things you say are questionable not merely subjective. Your rant on the brakes fading on the track… but you didn't buy the brake upgrade. Older people don't prefer colored cars like thundernight? Baseless.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 11:56 AM   #8
Autobahn SoCal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInSalt View Post
Quote:
Everything said is subjective personal opinion
Yes. In other words, a review based on personal experience.
Exactly LivingInSalt, He's just trolling at this point.

Appreciate 3
      08-09-2022, 12:12 PM   #9
yuvalt
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 M240i, 09 Miata, 70 Corvett

Having the M240i for 6 months as well (actually looks identical to this car), 3000 miles. My thoughts:
1. Amazing car to drive, almost perfect in every sense.
2. The breaks are not that great (I think it was also mentioned in some of the YouTube reviews). When I say not great, I mean you really need to press on them in some occasions of regular driving.
3. Luckily I have the aluminum interior because I was concerned about piano black.
4. The glossy black rims are terrible at getting dirty.
5. Some issues with CarPlay, but might be resolved with a software update.
6. I have ACC but the there's no technology for lane keep assist. I know some people dismiss these type of features, but I think that if an entry level Honda has it, then I would hope that it would be at least an option in every BMW.
Appreciate 2
      08-09-2022, 12:22 PM   #10
Autobahn SoCal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuvalt View Post
Having the M240i for 6 months as well (actually looks identical to this car), 3000 miles. My thoughts:
1. Amazing car to drive, almost perfect in every sense.
2. The breaks are not that great (I think it was also mentioned in some of the YouTube reviews). When I say not great, I mean you really need to press on them in some occasions of regular driving.
3. Luckily I have the aluminum interior because I was concerned about piano black.
4. The glossy black rims are terrible at getting dirty.
5. Some issues with CarPlay, but might be resolved with a software update.
6. I have ACC but the there's no technology for lane keep assist. I know some people dismiss these type of features, but I think that if an entry level Honda has it, then I would hope that it would be at least an option in every BMW.
Nice! I'm around 5k miles and I'm jealous you have the aluminum trim interior lol

Quick tip about the gloss black wheels, put ArmorAll "outlast brake dust repellent" on them after your next wash and the brake dust comes off super easily when washing and protects from debris as well for a few weeks. They look good as new👍🏻

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 12:32 PM   #11
siwatkins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i XDrive Coupe (G22)

Interesting review. I nearly bought one of these instead of an M440i and I still have a bit of a soft spot for this model. The things you did not like were some of the things that shifted me to the 4. I do not like the outside black plastic covers (the skateboard) down the side of the car - not one bit. My sense was they’d be total scratch magnets. I did not spec black shiny trim in the interior either. I went for the mesh, which in my view is in itself a big improvement over the tetragon. Rear legroom - I don’t need the rear legroom regularly but I was nervous in the M240 that it was too much of a pinch. That said, I love the slightly stripped back, lighter thing going on in this, which manifests itself as slightly better performance. Not a fan of the Brooklyn myself nor the rear spoiler thing (for me), but this car does have a slightly younger vibe than the 4 and I think it suits. Totally agree with your thoughts on the thundernyte. It does look cool - today. Will it be in future? Is it a more fashionable choice that gets old? - time will tell, but that’s a subjective personal view obviously and I’m sure there will be future buyers who want purple. Nice car, nice video.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2022, 12:40 PM   #12
Autobahn SoCal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by siwatkins View Post
Interesting review. I nearly bought one of these instead of an M440i and I still have a bit of a soft spot for this model. The things you did not like were some of the things that shifted me to the 4. I do not like the outside black plastic covers (the skateboard) down the side of the car - not one bit. My sense was they'd be total scratch magnets. I did not spec black shiny trim in the interior either. I went for the mesh, which in my view is in itself a big improvement over the tetragon. Rear legroom - I don't need the rear legroom regularly but I was nervous in the M240 that it was too much of a pinch. That said, I love the slightly stripped back, lighter thing going on in this, which manifests itself as slightly better performance. Not a fan of the Brooklyn myself nor the rear spoiler thing (for me), but this car does have a slightly younger vibe than the 4 and I think it suits. Totally agree with your thoughts on the thundernyte. It does look cool - today. Will it be in future? Is it a more fashionable choice that gets old? - time will tell, but that's a subjective personal view obviously and I'm sure there will be future buyers who want purple. Nice car, nice video.
I didn't know you can get the M440i without the black gloss exterior side trim? That's great! I wish they had that option for the M240i. If I end up keeping the car that's the first thing that's going away and replaced with paint match or something else, but I leased so it's staying for now as painful as it is. R44 Performance wrapped theirs and it looks awesome. (They wrapped all the black gloss parts) check out their YT channel.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 01:03 PM   #13
khoa@x-ph.com
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Appreciate 1
      08-09-2022, 01:20 PM   #14
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

Quote:
Interesting review. I nearly bought one of these instead of an M440i and I still have a bit of a soft spot for this model. The things you did not like were some of the things that shifted me to the 4. I do not like the outside black plastic covers (the skateboard) down the side of the car - not one bit. My sense was they’d be total scratch magnets. I did not spec black shiny trim in the interior either. I went for the mesh, which in my view is in itself a big improvement over the tetragon. Rear legroom - I don’t need the rear legroom regularly but I was nervous in the M240 that it was too much of a pinch. That said, I love the slightly stripped back, lighter thing going on in this, which manifests itself as slightly better performance. Not a fan of the Brooklyn myself nor the rear spoiler thing (for me), but this car does have a slightly younger vibe than the 4 and I think it suits. Totally agree with your thoughts on the thundernyte. It does look cool - today. Will it be in future? Is it a more fashionable choice that gets old? - time will tell, but that’s a subjective personal view obviously and I’m sure there will be future buyers who want purple. Nice car, nice video.
does the M440 have the auto start/stop button?
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2022, 02:01 PM   #15
Autobahn SoCal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyfontaine View Post
Quote:
does the M440 have the auto start/stop button?
Yes it does. I have heard this can be coded to stay on all the time from bimmer code, but not sure.

I just make a habit of clicking sport mode every time I start my car as sport and sport plus don't activate that feature and the engine stays on all the time.

Appreciate 1
      08-09-2022, 04:07 PM   #16
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
Everything said is subjective personal opinion, except maybe the stock brakes fading on the track. I'd pay for the better brakes than a marginal stereo upgrade
Just a note: stock brakes fading likely due to boiling of stock fluid. I did a track day on a heavy braking track but upgraded fluid to high temp fluid for track use and had no fade whatsover. Stock BMW dot 4 is rated at 509 F dry boiling point, i used fluid rated at 617 F dry boiling point. The BMW "upgraded" brakes likely have the same Dot 4 BMW branded fluid that is marginal for track use.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2022, 04:30 PM   #17
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

The exterior black gloss trim is bad, scratch magnet, I have the dealer replacing the grill and 1 door trim, as it had some serious deep scratches (damage) but this stuff scratches just looking at it. I'm actually disaapointed how bad it looks, Just washing it is going to leave scratches.

The only way you are going to get a good inspection, is to have the dealer wash it. Make sure they get the staining out of the black without scratching it to death.

I've had the car for a week, love the car, but pissed about the crap black plastic.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2022, 04:34 PM   #18
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

Quote:
Yes it does. I have heard this can be coded to stay on all the time from bimmer code, but not sure.

I just make a habit of clicking sport mode every time I start my car as sport and sport plus don't activate that feature and the engine stays on all the time.
With Bimmercode you can have it remember last postion or stay off
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2022, 04:53 PM   #19
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebarb View Post
The exterior black gloss trim is bad, scratch magnet, I have the dealer replacing the grill and 1 door trim, as it had some serious deep scratches (damage) but this stuff scratches just looking at it. I'm actually disaapointed how bad it looks, Just washing it is going to leave scratches.

The only way you are going to get a good inspection, is to have the dealer wash it. Make sure they get the staining out of the black without scratching it to death.

I've had the car for a week, love the car, but pissed about the crap black plastic.
Try self-healing PPF on those piano black pieces. Works like a charm. Hides swirls already there and protects from new swirls appearing.
Appreciate 4
      08-09-2022, 05:12 PM   #20
Autobahn SoCal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJLag420 View Post
Quote:

Try self-healing PPF on those piano black pieces. Works like a charm. Hides swirls already there and protects from new swirls appearing.
Got a link to purchase?

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 05:23 PM   #21
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJLag420 View Post
Quote:

Got a link to purchase?
I recommend using a professional detailer. But you can buy some and give it a go.

XPEL Clear Universal Rocker Panel Guard ( 9" x 30') Paint Protection Film Kit https://a.co/d/3hdfAkO
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2022, 06:02 PM   #22
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Everything said is subjective personal opinion, except maybe the stock brakes fading on the track. I'd pay for the better brakes than a marginal stereo upgrade. It's not a Bowers and Wilkins. The non opening of the grill when you want, the stock spoiler, black wheels, complaining about the black trim. All subjective. People already know that black shows dirt and scratches more yet they still buy black cars and pay more money for shadowline. Saying that older people don't want color is bollocks. Regardless of age, thundernight and the other colors are better than a gloss primer (and that's my opinion).
You logged on and chose violence😂
Appreciate 6