BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

10-13-2022, 04:19 PM   #1
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 Series (G42)

Adaptive suspension must have?

Hey guys,

I've got the chance to get nice spec M240i Xdrive UK model.

I'm just wondering how much of a must have the adaptive suspension is? I've had a 230i, which I recently sold and that only had the passive suspension and that seemed fine. I certainly don't plan on running the adaptive driving mode, however I do like the idea that when you go into sport it stiffens everything up, especially as this car is AWD and heavier than the 230i, it will hopefully add to the driving dynamics.

The car I'm looking at doesn't have the adaptive suspension so just wanted to know your guys general thoughts on how much of a must have that feature is!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 04:32 PM   #2
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

This has been mentioned many times in the past. Most agree that the adaptive suspension is considerably more comfortable in comfort mode (compared to the passive non-adaptive suspension) and much more agile in sport mode, again, compared to the passive non-adaptive suspension. I would say it is definitely a must-have.
Appreciate 1
PP3121363.50
      10-13-2022, 04:44 PM   #3
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Always go fully loaded/all in for items that matter.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 05:15 PM   #4
LA2912
Private
Rep
Drives: On Order: BG G42 M240i xdrive

I've not got it on mine. Never had it, never miss it. Saved myself the cost of the option and spent it on new springs and spacers anyway
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 05:42 PM   #5
Caerus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

I can understand that there is no need for it, depending on your needs. But I find it useful to change modes; it is like having three different cars in one. If you feel frisky use sport or sport+, cruise down the interstate use comfort, use the adaptive setting and it learns and for some weird reason you want gas mileage use eco. Just more options available and that is fine for some.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 08:37 PM   #6
Red_sir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA2912 View Post
I've not got it on mine. Never had it, never miss it. Saved myself the cost of the option and spent it on new springs and spacers anyway
Same. Rather use the money saved towards aftermarket suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 08:27 AM   #7
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the car I've found is already built and doesn't have the adaptive suspension, but I'm sure it will be fine. I'm nice and young so not worried about comfort but definitely want the sporty feel.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 05:50 AM   #8
Nicolas05
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW g42 M240i

Don’t have it… don’t miss it…
But it couldn’t hurt if I would had it neither.

Adaptive suspension: in comfort mode much more softer/comfortable than the sport suspension. In Sport mode much adaptive firmer than the sport suspension.

The sport susp. sits somewhere between comfort and sport on the adpaptive.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 03:23 PM   #9
phildo74
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G42 m240i

I’ve not got it on my m240i

I’ve previously had a f31 340i on which I did spec adaptive and at times it was useful but in reality comfort felt a bit too soft and in sport it was a bit too firm for the British roads, I found myself flicking between settings a lot as the road surface changed.

I then had a m135i on passive and found that better so went passive on the m240i and am perfectly happy. It is firm but not overly so, I occasionally do a 300 mile round trip in a day for work on motorways/dual carriageway and it’s absolutely fine and my normal commute is quick a&b roads and that’s good too.

Take it for a test drive and make your own mind up though as firmness is obviously subjective and if passive is too firm for you then adaptive would be the way to go
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 03:27 PM   #10
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildo74 View Post
I've not got it on my m240i

I've previously had a f31 340i on which I did spec adaptive and at times it was useful but in reality comfort felt a bit too soft and in sport it was a bit too firm for the British roads, I found myself flicking between settings a lot as the road surface changed.

I then had a m135i on passive and found that better so went passive on the m240i and am perfectly happy. It is firm but not overly so, I occasionally do a 300 mile round trip in a day for work on motorways/dual carriageway and it's absolutely fine and my normal commute is quick a&b roads and that's good too.

Take it for a test drive and make your own mind up though as firmness is obviously subjective and if passive is too firm for you then adaptive would be the way to go
Quote:

I've previously had a f31 340i on which I did spec adaptive and at times it was useful but in reality comfort felt a bit too soft and in sport it was a bit too firm for the British roads, I found myself flicking between settings a lot as the road surface changed.

I then had a m135i on passive and found that better so went passive on the m240i and am perfectly happy. It is firm but not overly so, I occasionally do a 300 mile round trip in a day for work on motorways/dual carriageway and it's absolutely fine and my normal commute is quick a&b roads and that's good too.

That's a great help thank you! I'm also going to be doing quite high mileage for work occasionally.

Let me ask you on a typical commute what sort of MPG are you getting on average. Without throwing it into eco pro etc (I appreciate it's different for everyone) I plan to drive comfort most of the time and sport plus couple of times a week.

I'm looking at 13-15k miles and year and the fuel is actually scary to watch!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 04:05 PM   #11
phildo74
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G42 m240i

The b58 is a great engine as it can be so economical given its power. My normal commute is 16 miles with a couple of miles of town with lots of traffic lights etc, then a fast stretch of dual carriageway, slower section through a small town and then more dual before last couple of miles of slow traffic through town again and I average around 30mpg in the cold mornings and 34 in the evening. that’s driving normally in comfort, if I’m pressing on in sport or sport individual in the morning then it’s around 26 or so…. But I can do the 150 mile work trip (m6 toll, m6, A14 and some country roads) and see 43/44 mpg
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 04:09 PM   #12
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The b58 is a great engine as it can be so economical given its power. My normal commute is 16 miles with a couple of miles of town with lots of traffic lights etc, then a fast stretch of dual carriageway, slower section through a small town and then more dual before last couple of miles of slow traffic through town again and I average around 30mpg in the cold mornings and 34 in the evening. that's driving normally in comfort, if I'm pressing on in sport or sport individual in the morning then it's around 26 or so…. But I can do the 150 mile work trip (m6 toll, m6, A14 and some country roads) and see 43/44 mpg
Quote:

Quote:
The b58 is a great engine as it can be so economical given its power. My normal commute is 16 miles with a couple of miles of town with lots of traffic lights etc, then a fast stretch of dual carriageway, slower section through a small town and then more dual before last couple of miles of slow traffic through town again and I average around 30mpg in the cold mornings and 34 in the evening. that's driving normally in comfort, if I'm pressing on in sport or sport individual in the morning then it's around 26 or so…. But I can do the 150 mile work trip (m6 toll, m6, A14 and some country roads) and see 43/44 mpg
That's a big help thanks. I just got a new job and it's 34 miles away with country and town roads so the fuel economy is going to be quite important. Nice to see it will actually hit that 30/34mpg in comfort.
Appreciate 0