F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Ceramic Coating for Proficient Home Detailer
ARMA SPEED

03-01-2023, 04:22 AM   #1
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 440i Odin Tuned DAW turbo

Ceramic Coating for Proficient Home Detailer

Can anybody share experiences of DIY ceramic coating products (not cheap spray waxes)

Im a proficient detailer and had a part time detailing business a number of years ago. But technology has moved on over the last 17 years. (God that makes me feel old)

There are a bewildering array of diy ceramic coatings out there and every manufacturer's product is the 'best'. Also prices vary wildly on these little bottles and kits, but there seems to be a lot of marketing hype and fancy bottles so I don't want to invest a full weekend in an inferior product..

I would like to do a full decontamination, clay and paint correction followed by a ceramic coat before the height of summer but i only want to do it once.

Feedback welcomed!
Appreciate 1
Ivilla035118.00
      03-01-2023, 02:04 PM   #2
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

I'm a big fan of AMMO products so I'll be doing a ceramic coating of their Reflex Pro kit (https://ammonyc.com/collections/exte...mmo-reflex-pro) sometime this summer.

Since you're a proficient detailer I would recommend Gyeon products, they have quite a huge selection of ceramic protection products and I loved using their stuff in the past. I know you mentioned how everyone labels their product as best, I noticed this too, seems like a lot of it is just rebranded generic China stuff and they seem to want to spend 80% of their budget on the packaging rather than the product.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2023, 03:15 PM   #3
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
I'm a big fan of AMMO products so I'll be doing a ceramic coating of their Reflex Pro kit (https://ammonyc.com/collections/exte...mmo-reflex-pro) sometime this summer.

Since you're a proficient detailer I would recommend Gyeon products, they have quite a huge selection of ceramic protection products and I loved using their stuff in the past. I know you mentioned how everyone labels their product as best, I noticed this too, seems like a lot of it is just rebranded generic China stuff and they seem to want to spend 80% of their budget on the packaging rather than the product.
I'll check them out Thank-you.. hopefully some useful feedback coming soon!
Appreciate 1
toxik2519.50
      03-02-2023, 10:33 AM   #4
mhowanic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 440i GramCoupe

Garage List
I just applied Carpros UK 3.0 and topped it with the Carpros SIC. I had little expectation but am quite pleasantly surprised with the results. I’ve only had it on there about 2 weeks so can’t speak to longevity. But I will say the hydrophobic properties and ability for the car to stay clean is crazy. I’m in Florida and we have bad pollen in the air now and usually it’ll stick to the car. I haven’t had any stuck on here yet. Very little road grime behind the tires and any dirt that does stick I can hose off without using a wash mitt.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 11:05 AM   #5
Ivilla035
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 _gran_coupe_ View Post
Can anybody share experiences of DIY ceramic coating products (not cheap spray waxes)

Im a proficient detailer and had a part time detailing business a number of years ago. But technology has moved on over the last 17 years. (God that makes me feel old)

There are a bewildering array of diy ceramic coatings out there and every manufacturer's product is the 'best'. Also prices vary wildly on these little bottles and kits, but there seems to be a lot of marketing hype and fancy bottles so I don't want to invest a full weekend in an inferior product..

I would like to do a full decontamination, clay and paint correction followed by a ceramic coat before the height of summer but i only want to do it once.

Feedback welcomed!
Used carpro CK quartz from amazon. Wasn't super expensive, and the 30ml bottle still has half left. Solid coating that still beads well after a year.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 12:54 PM   #6
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowanic View Post
I just applied Carpros UK 3.0 and topped it with the Carpros SIC. I had little expectation but am quite pleasantly surprised with the results. I’ve only had it on there about 2 weeks so can’t speak to longevity. But I will say the hydrophobic properties and ability for the car to stay clean is crazy. I’m in Florida and we have bad pollen in the air now and usually it’ll stick to the car. I haven’t had any stuck on here yet. Very little road grime behind the tires and any dirt that does stick I can hose off without using a wash mitt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivilla035 View Post
Used carpro CK quartz from amazon. Wasn't super expensive, and the 30ml bottle still has half left. Solid coating that still beads well after a year.

Yes this is the product I was leaning to.

This guy on YouTube coated his mineral grey bmw and I like his videos.

This is gonna be my product guys thanks

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 01:31 PM   #7
mhowanic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 440i GramCoupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 _gran_coupe_ View Post
Yes this is the product I was leaning to.

This guy on YouTube coated his mineral grey bmw and I like his videos.

This is gonna be my product guys thanks

https://youtu.be/byKcYsEyWGk
You won’t regret it. I found it had a slightly longer open time than the manual said. It says to leave it on for 1-2 minutes and I ended up leaving it closer to 5 minutes. It was a cooler day out so that may have had some effect on it. I ended up doing 2 coats of each the UK 3.0 and SIC and had a little left. I did the wheels with the rest lol. I bought the 30ml bottles of each. Get a few extra suedes I think it’s like $5 for a 10 pack. Plus the company is here in Florida and ships same day so you get it next day.

https://www.carpro-us.com
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2023, 02:16 PM   #8
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowanic View Post
You won’t regret it. I found it had a slightly longer open time than the manual said. It says to leave it on for 1-2 minutes and I ended up leaving it closer to 5 minutes. It was a cooler day out so that may have had some effect on it. I ended up doing 2 coats of each the UK 3.0 and SIC and had a little left. I did the wheels with the rest lol. I bought the 30ml bottles of each. Get a few extra suedes I think it’s like $5 for a 10 pack. Plus the company is here in Florida and ships same day so you get it next day.

https://www.carpro-us.com
Oh wow I didn't know they were here that's awesome!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 12:34 PM   #9
PHXATC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 '20 430i '20 Explorer

Crystal Serum Light and EXO topper.

Couldn't have been easier. I've done 5 cars now so far over 19 months or so and I'm just a weekend warrior who likes to study stuff like that and research it all. I did the wheels in a different product though.
Appreciate 0