E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > UPDATE: WTF is wrong with my steering?

04-11-2023, 11:03 AM   #1
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

UPDATE: WTF is wrong with my steering?

Replaced all this shit (below) and still have dead zone on center, play, and knocking noise when wiggling wheel. It’s clearly coming from steering column or steering shaft.
  • New (reman) Bosch rack, just put in
  • New (Genuine) steering shaft with ~ 10k miles on it
  • PS pump replaced twice with Luk OE
  • Basically every conceivable suspension component has been replaced within past two years

If I grab the top of the steering shaft where it connects to the column, I can get a fair bit of up/down movement. It is coming from the COLUMN side and not the shaft.

Is this normal, or could the steering column itself be the culprit?

I’ve attached a photo of the area I’m talking about. Yes the bolts are all tight.

Here is a post that describes the exact question I have. Seems a definitive answer has been elusive.
Attached Images

Last edited by e90yyc; 04-15-2023 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 07:34 PM   #2
bimmermech123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

Does the knocking noise when wiggling the steering wheel sound like this:

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 09:13 PM   #3
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermech123 View Post

Thanks for the reply!

More or less the same—yes.

I have the unfortunate habit of making long-winded posts for simple questions. In this case, what I’m dying to know is whether lateral play in the splined (output) section of the steering column is normal. I’ve struggled to find a definitive answer to this.

I’m mostly curious about this because, if play is normal there, then it’s my steering shaft… which is like 10k miles old. That’s the part I’m struggling to accept—that it could possibly fail so soon—and if it did, then I’d be wondering if something else didn’t speed up its demise. (What, I couldn’t tell you, haha…)

Last edited by e90yyc; 04-11-2023 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 09:29 PM   #4
bimmermech123
Private First Class
Rep

I have replaced the struts, control arms and end links and this issue has persisted through all of those, which means it must be steering related. The u-joint in the video does not appear to have any play, yet when I placed my phone down in there, the sound was coming from that area. I think that the only way to determine if the sound is coming from the steering column is to put a mechanics stethoscope on the splined part of the steering column and then on the steering shaft and listen for where the noise is louder.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 09:35 PM   #5
bimmermech123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Thanks for the reply!

More or less the same—yes.

I have the unfortunate habit of making long-winded posts for simple questions. In this case, what I’m dying to know is whether lateral play in the splined (output) section of the steering column is normal. I’ve struggled to find a definitive answer to this.

I’m mostly curious about this because, if play is normal there, then it’s my steering shaft… which is like 10k miles old. That’s the part I’m struggling to accept—that it could possibly fail so soon—and if it did, then I’d be wondering if something else didn’t speed up its demise. (What, I couldn’t tell you, haha…)
I have not taken apart the under panel that hides the rubber boot surrounding the splined part of the steering column, I'll probably have to do that one of these days. However, I think we need someone who does not have this clicking and knocking to observe their steering column to decide whether or not lateral play is normal.
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2482.50
      04-11-2023, 09:42 PM   #6
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

For few years now I have same and few years ago while chasing the source of it, I took out the steering column from the car, to inspect it.
The output section of the column which gets splined into the main part of the column had play in it, which shouldn't have, but there was. It had looked like the metal was somewhat soft and had worn out a bit.
I had put everything back together and since then didn't take any further action on it.
It knocks during low speed parking maneuvers, which is felt on the steering more than heard. And doesn't always do it.
Maybe one of these days I will try to address it.
My steering column has the electronic lock option (ELV) so a replacement needs to come with ELV too, otherwise car won't start. This limits available used replacement column options.

If I can find the pictures I had taken from the time I had taken the column out, I will post here.
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2482.50
      04-11-2023, 09:47 PM   #7
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
I have replaced the struts, control arms and end links and this issue has persisted through all of those, which means it must be steering related. The u-joint in the video does not appear to have any play, yet when I placed my phone down in there, the sound was coming from that area. I think that the only way to determine if the sound is coming from the steering column is to put a mechanics stethoscope on the splined part of the steering column and then on the steering shaft and listen for where the noise is louder.
Grab the upper section of your steering shaft and tug up on it. Does it move?
      04-11-2023, 09:54 PM   #8
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

This is the picture of my steering column outside of the car. It only shows the lower part of the steering column. The red pointed place had play with mine, which it should not have in my opinion. This is where the output section is splined into the main section of the column. The splines have grease on them, because output section can telescope in and out of the main section. This telescoping action helps with steering shaft disassembly and assembly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
e90yyc2482.50
      04-11-2023, 10:00 PM   #9
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

That looks different than what e90yyc is describing, if I understood what he described correctly. In the video you posted there is play on the steering rack. I don't know how much play is normal on the steering rack, and I kind of remember someone mentioning a bolt or nut on the steering rack that when tightened reduces that play. But I can't remember the details. If you search you may find more information about that.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2023, 10:07 PM   #10
bimmermech123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
That looks different than what e90yyc is describing, if I understood what he described correctly. In the video you posted there is play on the steering rack. I don't know how much play is normal on the steering rack, and I kind of remember someone mentioning a bolt or nut on the steering rack that when tightened reduces that play. But I can't remember the details. If you search you may find more information about that.
Yeah their is the preload adjustment nut on the steering rack and the E10 bolt on the U-joint that tightens the steering shaft to the rack. I already tried tightening the E10 bolt but it was on their good, and I'm not gonna mess with the preload adjustment.

This thread discusses the U-joint E10 bolt:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256125

Where do you see play on the steering rack in the video, it all seems to move in coherence with one another to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 10:09 PM   #11
bimmermech123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Grab the upper section of your steering shaft and tug up on it. Does it move?
I'll be sure to check when I can
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 10:13 PM   #12
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

A youtube video showing wear and play on the steering column output section, which is different than the play I had found out with my steering column but adjacent to it:
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 10:18 PM   #13
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Where do you see play on the steering rack in the video, it all seems to move in coherence with one another to me.
I am assuming the wheels were on the ground when you took the video, and based on that assumption, to my untrained eyes there is too much play in the rack while the tires are not turning with the steering input. And sound is coming from the rack, as far as I can tell from a video sound track, so take it with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2023, 10:32 PM   #14
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'll be sure to check when I can
just in case, check also if you have loose steering rack bolts to the subframe as described here it happens https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=20
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2023, 10:55 PM   #15
bimmermech123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I am assuming the wheels were on the ground when you took the video, and based on that assumption, to my untrained eyes there is too much play in the rack while the tires are not turning with the steering input. And sound is coming from the rack, as far as I can tell from a video sound track, so take it with a grain of salt.
Yeah the wheels were on the ground in the video, I'll check the 2 mounting bolts for the rack. Does anybody know how to definitively fault internal wear/play on the steering rack?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 11:41 PM   #16
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
For few years now I have same and few years ago while chasing the source of it, I took out the steering column from the car, to inspect it.
The output section of the column which gets splined into the main part of the column had play in it, which shouldn't have, but there was. It had looked like the metal was somewhat soft and had worn out a bit.
I had put everything back together and since then didn't take any further action on it.
It knocks during low speed parking maneuvers, which is felt on the steering more than heard. And doesn't always do it.
Maybe one of these days I will try to address it.
My steering column has the electronic lock option (ELV) so a replacement needs to come with ELV too, otherwise car won't start. This limits available used replacement column options.

If I can find the pictures I had taken from the time I had taken the column out, I will post here.
Was ELV fitted for automatic trans only? I need to look into this apparently… Converted to manual, but it sounds like I may still need an ELV-equipped column despite that? I thought it may not matter anymore so I’m glad you brought this up!
      04-12-2023, 07:28 AM   #17
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Creaky e90 330xi 6MT

Quote:
Was ELV fitted for automatic trans only? I need to look into this apparently… Converted to manual, but it sounds like I may still need an ELV-equipped column despite that? I thought it may not matter anymore so I’m glad you brought this up!
I have the steering lock on my 6 speed manual. I'd love to physically remove the mechanism and code out the function/use an emulator. There are workarounds for this.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 10:16 AM   #18
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It is not related to transmission. For US, 2006 models had the steering column lock. I don't remember which year exactly but sometime soon BMW removed it.

The easiest way to find out if you have it or not, as you are parked engine running make the steering wheel straight with no load on it. Turn off your engine, remove the key. Then try to turn the steering wheel. If you have the steering lock you will hear a locking pin sliding inside the column and the wheel will not move anymore.

The fact that you are asking if you have it or not, indicates me you most probably don't have it.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 11:17 AM   #19
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

PhaseP I definitely have it—I was more just musing about what my options are for replacement. This is an area that I haven’t spent much time learning about simply because it hasn’t been relevant to me (until now…).

What threw me off was that AT and MT cars seem to have different PNs for column and I’m not certain why. The PN for my car is apparently used up to 2013, but of course that specific part would have superseded whatever was fitted from the factory in my 2007. So when shopping for used columns, I’m trying to determine what to watch out for.

If the bottom line—and it seems this is the case—is that I can simply use an emulator if the column I buy doesn’t have ELV or it doesn’t work, then I won’t worry too much about the exact PN on the replacement.
      04-15-2023, 09:57 AM   #20
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Yeah so it ISN’T the column, believe it or not.

Pulled a good condition column yesterday and put it in just to see, and I still have the exact same knocking noise when I wiggle the wheel. Because I’ve removed some trim and have good access to both the steering shaft and the column I’ve been able to hold various parts of the assemblies while producing the knock to feel where it’s coming from.

So what is it? The steering shaft… again.

I really don’t know what could cause such an early failure, but that’s clearly what it is. When I replaced it a couple years ago it did solve the same issue I was experiencing, so that all tracks. I have just struggled immensely with getting my head around the idea that it’s already fucked again, but it is quite literally the only part left that could be the culprit (and symptoms are consistent with what I had with my original shaft.

On the steering column, there’s a nylon or similar bushing around the splined section of the column shaft where it telescopes between the “inside” and “outside” sections. It seems fine.

So, I guess I’m ordering a replacement steering shaft after all! Will update once it arrives.
      04-15-2023, 10:23 AM   #21
bimmermech123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah so it ISN’T the column, believe it or not.

Pulled a good condition column yesterday and put it in just to see, and I still have the exact same knocking noise when I wiggle the wheel. Because I’ve removed some trim and have good access to both the steering shaft and the column I’ve been able to hold various parts of the assemblies while producing the knock to feel where it’s coming from.

So what is it? The steering shaft… again.

I really don’t know what could cause such an early failure, but that’s clearly what it is. When I replaced it a couple years ago it did solve the same issue I was experiencing, so that all tracks. I have just struggled immensely with getting my head around the idea that it’s already fucked again, but it is quite literally the only part left that could be the culprit (and symptoms are consistent with what I had with my original shaft.

On the steering column, there’s a nylon or similar bushing around the splined section of the column shaft where it telescopes between the “inside” and “outside” sections. It seems fine.

So, I guess I’m ordering a replacement steering shaft after all! Will update once it arrives.
Thanks for the update. It's unfortunate that all signs point to the steering shaft, they do be expensive brand new. Are you planning on buying used on ebay or something?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 10:42 AM   #22
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update. It's unfortunate that all signs point to the steering shaft, they do be expensive brand new. Are you planning on buying used on ebay or something?
I’ve already replaced it—that’s the whole reason I didn’t just do it again and was central to my confusion about what else the issue could be (since shaft is a common-ish failure item, while column certainly doesn’t appear to be).

Thankfully I bought from FCP so I will be covered to replace it.

I wouldn’t personally buy a used one unless it was cheap AF (which eBay ones don’t always seem to be) but it could be worth a try.