Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheel Refurb Advice

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-18-2023, 05:07 AM   #1
BennySwiss1860
Registered
Rep
Drives: e91 330xd

Garage List
Wheel Refurb Advice

Hi guys - new to these forums but have lurked for a long time and read a lot of useful advice. Anyway, I have a 2011 330xd Touring. Lovely car and a massive step up from the Passat I owned before!

Been running all seasons on it and yesterday had the tyres replaced with Michelin Cross Climate 2s - old run flats were worn down, which was a relief to be honest. Unfortunately, the tyre fitter absolutely murdered the alloys (original spec BMW 158s) doing the change.

https://www.carsaddiction.com/en/wheels/BMW/style-158

Admittedly, the wheels weren't in perfect condition, but they were in good condition for the age, and there are now multiple new gouges and scrapes around the edges of the rims. I guess the runflats were hard to get off, but I still find it so sad that people don't give a d**n about other people's property, and will then blatantly lie to you and pretend they didn't do anything. Since I was silly enough to trust the local fitter - some good reviews on Google - I stupidly didn't take photos to compare the before and after, so lesson learnt there, since obviously the guy is denying he did anything.

Anyway, I want to pay for a refurb and was going to do so at some stage anyway, but I've now brought plans forward Frankly, I know relatively little about cars and nada about what to insist on when asking someone to do this job. So is this something a dealer is best placed to do if the price is OK, or would a good bodyshop go in for this kind of work? Should you insist the tyres are removed for any refurb? Removal, clean, sandblast, fill, finish (powder coating?). I want to restore to stock look.

Be grateful of any pointers. Cheers! (Car pictured prior to wheel damage)
Attached Images

Last edited by BennySwiss1860; 05-18-2023 at 05:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 05:20 AM   #2
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e39 m5

dealer just gonna sublet it, search and just go directly to wheel refinish shop. typical you can just repaint (imo powder coat is best) and or both repaint and straighten. next lies the problem of downtime and labor, you bring them the wheels or have them do it if possible at their shop. imo if total cost is half or more than a new oe wheel I would buy a new wheel, better paint and no bends
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2023, 01:41 AM   #3
BennySwiss1860
Registered
Rep

Garage List
Thanks mate! Appreciate the tips. Yeah buying the rims new here in Switzerland is so pricy, that’s the issue - probably around 1200 euro ordered from Gernany with customs and postage to pay on top of that, so a refurb probably is the best option if I can get a good price.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 08:36 AM   #4
Fordguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d, ford f150, mustang

I'm over in the US, but figured I'd chime in anyway. I just bought a set of style 189 rims, which did have some rash I was going to take care of. But also all four had mild bending when I spun them. There are 3 wheel refurbishing companies within a 2 hour drive of me. I called one and to straighten, fix rash, and powdercoat was going to be around $340 per rim. I decided not to do it as I could buy brand new aftermarket rims for that cost. Just chiming in to give you a cost factor in repairing versus replacing, especially since you said it would probably cost 1,200.
Appreciate 2
      05-22-2023, 01:20 AM   #5
BennySwiss1860
Registered
Rep

Garage List
Much appreciated to get that ballpark figure! Yeah I think here a basic refurb will likely cost 800 francs or so - and that’s if I haggle. Frustrating as I’m from the UK and it’d be a lot cheaper over there, as would buying the car in the first place in fact. But then I like living over here and my family is here so is what it is. Truth is though that to buy OEM rims here in CH is ballpark 600 each - so 2400 excluding fitting, well it’s about a fifth of what the car is worth. So not really an option.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 11:02 AM   #6
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
We have a place in Boston that's great for this. I'd find the one that's in your market.

https://rimpro.com/
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2023, 11:46 AM   #7
NikMN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Garage List
2015 BMW 550i   [9.25]
This is what I did to refinish all four rims. Bought a 5th rim in a decent condition and dropped it off to get refinished. Swapped it with one on the car. Did this for four times. Most places will mount tires for you. Downside this took four weeks(one per week) plus side now I have a spare (or sell it after) and drove the car whole time
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2023, 01:55 PM   #8
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikMN View Post
This is what I did to refinish all four rims. Bought a 5th rim in a decent condition and dropped it off to get refinished. Swapped it with one on the car. Did this for four times. Most places will mount tires for you. Downside this took four weeks(one per week) plus side now I have a spare (or sell it after) and drove the car whole time
I like this idea. Since Benny [CH] and I both have AWD, it's critical that that 5th wheel be overall very very close to same circumference because we have AWD. I have 225/45 R17 X4 and 5th is 205/50 R17. And now I'm assuming that powder coating will hide very well the scratches and minor curb rash.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2023, 05:07 PM   #9
NikMN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Garage List
2015 BMW 550i   [9.25]
Forgot to mention. This is for a square set up.
My understanding is they will strip existing finish fix all scratches and dings and then refinish. Should come out looking brand new. Each shop is different might be worth a while to talk and see how they do it.
Appreciate 1