home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

09-14-2023, 04:20 PM   #1
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

Lighting Package Question

hey folks, i found another thread on the lighting package but not specifically on this so was curious.

I currently do NOT have the lighting package on my build. i do not care about the running lights, auto high beam, or moving in turns at all. what i DO care about is the lights all being LED (low and high beam) vs some combo of halogen/LED/etc. i am assuming on a 60k+ car that regardless of package, all lights will be LED?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 04:23 PM   #2
yuzu
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_three_two View Post
hey folks, i found another thread on the lighting package but not specifically on this so was curious.

I currently do NOT have the lighting package on my build. i do not care about the running lights, auto high beam, or moving in turns at all. what i DO care about is the lights all being LED (low and high beam) vs some combo of halogen/LED/etc. i am assuming on a 60k+ car that regardless of package, all lights will be LED?

Thanks
DYOR but would STRONGLY recommend adding it
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 04:27 PM   #3
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:

Thanks
You’ll find that info on the BMW website.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 04:30 PM   #4
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
We are a tough crowd lol

I was just going to say "what does the fact it costs 60+ have to do with anything?" but didn't. But now I did. Oh well lol

I don't know the answer to your question, I did try to research to help out but didn't find anything conclusive. It used to be that the taillights were not LED when the "light package" wasn't chosen, but I think BMW has moved away from non-LED lights.

It was certainly a joke, the E90 had halogen taillights, then the LCI came and the taillights were LED. Then the F30 came to replace the E90, and got halogen taillights. Then the LCI for the F30 came with LEDs again... It's like they saved something for the refresh.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2023, 04:55 PM   #5
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

I don't think there are any conventional light bulbs in any G87 model. I don't have the lighting package and can only find LED lights in the car. The owners manual states under 'Lights and Bulbs' "All headlights and lights are designed using LED technology at least".
Appreciate 2
      09-14-2023, 05:12 PM   #6
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
I don't think there are any conventional light bulbs in any G87 model. I don't have the lighting package and can only find LED lights in the car. The owners manual states under 'Lights and Bulbs' "All headlights and lights are designed using LED technology at least".
thank you sir. just to confirm, low beams, high beams, everything? seems to be the case based on what you said but want to be 100% positive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
We are a tough crowd lol

I was just going to say "what does the fact it costs 60+ have to do with anything?" but didn't. But now I did. Oh well lol

I don't know the answer to your question, I did try to research to help out but didn't find anything conclusive. It used to be that the taillights were not LED when the "light package" wasn't chosen, but I think BMW has moved away from non-LED lights.

It was certainly a joke, the E90 had halogen taillights, then the LCI came and the taillights were LED. Then the F30 came to replace the E90, and got halogen taillights. Then the LCI for the F30 came with LEDs again... It's like they saved something for the refresh.
BMW has always been a mystery to me with their packages and what they choose to include or not include as standard etc and my CA admitted to me he did not know... so if hes confused i figured most everyone was.

i can handle some ribbing seems like a lot of thin skin on this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
You’ll find that info on the BMW website.
if you can find that for me on the BMW website i will buy you a beer
Appreciate 1
M2siast6003.50
      09-14-2023, 05:14 PM   #7
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuzu View Post
DYOR but would STRONGLY recommend adding it
any reason in particular? to be honest the swoops do nothing for me, auto high beams would probably annoy me, and i do not care at all for the active headlight swivels under 30 mph lol
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 05:17 PM   #8
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
any reason in particular? to be honest the swoops do nothing for me, auto high beams would probably annoy me, and i do not care at all for the active headlight swivels under 30 mph lol
I think you guys get the anti-glare assist high beams, no? The ones that go around the cars in front and coming towards you?

We in North America are coding our cars to have that feature, but I believe it works in the UK as well standard if you get the lighting package?

If so, that wouldn't annoy you (the auto-high beam that shuts off the high beams annoys me).

One feature I like about the swiveling headlights is the high beams, because they swivel too, and it's great seeing that far ahead in twisty roads.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 05:17 PM   #9
yuzu
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Looks way better, should be standard but what can you do. BTW it literally says "LED Headlights" on the M2 product page, are you looking for something else other than that?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 05:18 PM   #10
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
thank you sir. just to confirm, low beams, high beams, everything? seems to be the case based on what you said but want to be 100% positive
Yes, definitely the case on my Canadian car, but I don't see any difference in lighting package options in the US or European cars.
Appreciate 1
M2siast6003.50
      09-14-2023, 05:21 PM   #11
clydefrog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ, G87 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW G87 M2  [0.00]
2013 Subaru BRZ  [0.00]
Quote:
I think you guys get the anti-glare assist high beams, no? The ones that go around the cars in front and coming towards you?

We in North America are coding our cars to have that feature, but I believe it works in the UK as well standard if you get the lighting package?

If so, that wouldn't annoy you (the auto-high beam that shuts off the high beams annoys me).

One feature I like about the swiveling headlights is the high beams, because they swivel too, and it's great seeing that far ahead in twisty roads.
he's in New England not Ye Olde England
Appreciate 2
      09-14-2023, 05:22 PM   #12
Albator_IIII
Retired Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i 6MT Custom

I opted for the base headlights. In Canada, you must get the Premium Package for them. There is nothing I want/use in the package and couldn't justify the price of it just to get the headlights. Resale is irrelevant to me as I plan to keep the chariot for 30+ years.

2023 G87 ///M2 (production began Jul 4th 2023)
2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | 6MT | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2023, 05:26 PM   #13
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefrog View Post
he's in New England not Ye Olde England
hahahaha thanks! Think I glanced at the word and thought it was UK LOL
I'd actually swear to have seen the british flag as well! Oh well, it's only Thursday.
Thanks!
Appreciate 1
clydefrog291.50
      09-14-2023, 05:32 PM   #14
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
if you can find that for me on the BMW website i will buy you a beer
Go to the BMW website, find M2, go to “Features”, and under “Safety and Security” you’ll find LED Headlights.
Look before you leap.
You can keep your Bud Light.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 05:32 PM   #15
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Looks way better, should be standard but what can you do. BTW it literally says "LED Headlights" on the M2 product page, are you looking for something else other than that?
thanks, i found that but all the cars always have the lighting package on it for press photos/website so really wanted to confirm. but looks like you were right so, hey, i owe you a beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Yes, definitely the case on my Canadian car, but I don't see any difference in lighting package options in the US or European cars.
appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albator_IIII View Post
I opted for the base headlights. In Canada, you must get the Premium Package for them. There is nothing I want/use in the package and couldn't justify the price of it just to get the headlights. Resale is irrelevant to me as I plan to keep the chariot for 30+ years.
yea same, last new car i will probably ever buy so just wanted to make sure i was getting it right. ill probably stick to no LP (and the car will probably stand out a bit in the US because of it)
Appreciate 2
yuzu623.50
      09-14-2023, 05:33 PM   #16
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Go to the BMW website, find M2, go to “Features”, and under “Safety and Security” you’ll find LED Headlights.
i bet you buy your bud light at target.
Appreciate 1
yuzu623.50
      09-14-2023, 05:36 PM   #17
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
I have not done a direct comparison, but the Lighting Package ones are fantastic, and can be upgraded by coding to Anti-Dazzle.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2023, 05:36 PM   #18
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i bet you buy your bud light at target.
Hey, now that’s original. Who helped you, mom?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 05:37 PM   #19
yuzu
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Look before you leap.
You're so salty in like all your posts LOL. I gotta say it's great entertainment
Appreciate 2
M2siast6003.50
clydefrog291.50
      09-14-2023, 05:39 PM   #20
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're so salty in like all your posts LOL. I gotta say it's great entertainment
It’s those 4 years in the US Navy.
Salty dog you know.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 05:39 PM   #21
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Until it's directed at you lol
Appreciate 1
clydefrog291.50
      09-14-2023, 05:41 PM   #22
yuzu
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Until it's directed at you lol
You just gotta stop giving a fuck about random idiots that want to argue on internet forums
Appreciate 4