E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Valvetronic motor connector shorted when ignition is ON

10-01-2023, 12:44 AM   #1
Dingsky
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E90 2006

Valvetronic motor connector shorted when ignition is ON

Hi guys,

I needed some advice if someone can help me please. So initially I had valvetronic servomotor fault code from scanner. This issue started from other thread where the motor is getting hot.

So I thought valvetronic motor is defective so, terminal to body is about 1.3k ohms not infinity, ista trouble shooting recommended to replace the motor.

Anyway, I got a new motor but before I had a chance to test the wiring, the spare motor arrived. So I connected the new motor to see if it will move when doing test from foxwell 809 scanner. It did not move. I used ista+ and tried to actuate but did not move as well.

So checked wirings and verified that the motor connector is shorted, measured both motor and dme side to check. valvetronic relay is ok and confirmed getting 13.5v in U_VVTR1 terminal. I attached some photos.

Is it normal that this terminal be shorted when ignition is in ON position or am I looking at a defective ECU for engine?

Thanks in advance, really appreciate any feedback.

P.S. doing this while a constant power supply is connected, set at 13.6v 90A.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 09:37 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingsky View Post
... initially I had valvetronic servomotor fault code from scanner. This issue started from other thread where the motor is getting hot... before I had a chance to test the wiring, the spare motor arrived. So I connected the new motor to see if it will move when doing test from foxwell 809 scanner. It did not move. I used ista+ and tried to actuate but did not move as well. So checked wirings and verified that the motor connector is shorted, measured both motor and dme side to check. [I do NOT follow HOW you reached that conclusion -- see below]... P.S. doing this while a constant power supply is connected, set at 13.6v 90A.
As I understand the VVT Actuator Motor Circuit, the Actuator is like a Window Motor: It turns in DIFFERENT Direction, depending upon "Polarity" of DC (Direct Current) applied to X6351/1 & X6351/2. Applying 12V+ to X6351/1 makes motor turn one direction, & applying 12V+ to X6351/2 makes motor turn other direction (ground correspondingly-swapped).

Using Volts Meter Setting and "back-probing" connector X6351 would confirm/ disprove that "understanding".
Changing polarity of 12V DC applied to motor Red/Brown wires (Motor REMOVED from Eccentric Shaft Gear) should also be valid test of motor function.

I would be interested in knowing HOW "ISTA trouble shooting recommended to replace the motor", and WHAT fault code you describe as "valvetronic servomotor fault code".
George
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 10:43 AM   #3
Dingsky
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
As I understand the VVT Actuator Motor Circuit, the Actuator is like a Window Motor: It turns in DIFFERENT Direction, depending upon "Polarity" of DC (Direct Current) applied to X6351/1 & X6351/2. Applying 12V+ to X6351/1 makes motor turn one direction, & applying 12V+ to X6351/2 makes motor turn other direction (ground correspondingly-swapped).

Using Volts Meter Setting and "back-probing" connector X6351 would confirm/ disprove that "understanding".
Changing polarity of 12V DC applied to motor Red/Brown wires (Motor REMOVED from Eccentric Shaft Gear) should also be valid test of motor function.

I would be interested in knowing HOW "ISTA trouble shooting recommended to replace the motor", and WHAT fault code you describe as "valvetronic servomotor fault code".
George
Thank you George for your reply.

The fault code is 2A67 DME Valvetronic internal Fault. attached some photos for reference, i thought that there would be a momentary voltage across X6356 and X6357 disconnectred connector from motor when I do the valvetronic motor test (activate)

in the attached screenshots you will find the test i got through and at the end when I responded that resistance from motor tesrminal to its chassis is not infinite resistance, it threw the diagnosis result to replace valvestronic motor.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 08:51 PM   #4
Dingsky
Rep

Just an update this has been resolved. replaced both sensor and motor, but now I am getting VANOS intake and misfire in cyl3 will put t in a separate thread.
Appreciate 0