BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

10-07-2023, 08:13 PM   #1
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

I never had a turbo before. Is it normal to get this message? I have just under 5k miles on this brand new car. No oil leaking on to parking space. Is this the nature of turbos?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 10:02 PM   #2
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Not normal, add oil, monitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 10:16 PM   #3
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

Are newer BMW oil monitoring systems usually pretty accurate ?

Did you check the dipstick ?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 10:24 PM   #4
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasG42 View Post
Are newer BMW oil monitoring systems usually pretty accurate ?

Did you check the dipstick ?
There is no dipstick.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 05:33 AM   #5
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit009 View Post
I never had a turbo before. Is it normal to get this message? I have just under 5k miles on this brand new car. No oil leaking on to parking space. Is this the nature of turbos?
Adding that my driving style is aggressive. And I live in a warm weather location. But, 2 qts surprised me. I don’t see any drips in parking spot. Annoying af. I tried measuring oil via idrive and get message “function currently not available”.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 07:14 AM   #6
Aramis1919
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Adding that my driving style is aggressive. And I live in a warm weather location. But, 2 qts surprised me. I don’t see any drips in parking spot. Annoying af. I tried measuring oil via idrive and get message “function currently not available”.
Are you aware that the engine needs to be running in order to check the oil level?

Odd, I know, but thats Ze Germans for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 07:42 AM   #7
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M240i RWD

Quote:
Do you have the ZTK option? If so, check the front lower oil cooler for leaks.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 08:43 AM   #8
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
Do you have the ZTK option? If so, check the front lower oil cooler for leaks.
Yes I have the ZTK. I checked for drips. Didn’t see any. i will check again and put some oil in. And yes again to the other poster I was aware car has ro be running and at operating temperature.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 08:53 AM   #9
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Really get into your engine bay with a flashlight. Might not be any leaks or drips that reach the pavement. But could have a tiny amount of seepage happening somewhere.

And obviously , you aren't smelling any oil, or anything after a hard drive ?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 08:57 AM   #10
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If it was me, I would be very concerned about this. 2 quarts is a LOT of oil after 5K miles. There is either a leak or BMW failed to put enough oil in from the factory. If your dealer is close, I would take it to them and have them give it a good look-see. Better safe than sorry........

Makes me wonder though - Does the warning only come up at 2 quarts? Why didn't it come up at 1/2 quart, 1 quart, etc.? Why did it only now show up?

1/2 quart low is a lot to me so not getting the warning until 2 quarts low makes me wonder if you have something wrong with the sensor? I would take it to dealer before putting that much oil in the engine.
Appreciate 1
PP3121363.50
      10-08-2023, 09:04 AM   #11
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If it was me, I would be very concerned about this. 2 quarts is a LOT of oil after 5K miles. There is either a leak or BMW failed to put enough oil in from the factory. If your dealer is close, I would take it to them and have them give it a good look-see. Better safe than sorry........
Yep, it's either one or the other. Need to get it up on a lift. The techs will know where to look for common seepage points.

Possible the oil level sensors might be the issue.

If i got a '2 quarts low' message on a brand new car , i would have driven straight to the dealership
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 09:10 AM   #12
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yep, it's either one or the other. Need to get it up on a lift. The techs will no where to look for common seepage points.

Possible the oil level sensors might be the issue ?

If i got a '2 quarts low' message on a brand new car , i would have driven straight to the dealership
The warning light came on as I was pulling into the entrance to my apt bldg in late evening. I got up early this morning and looked under car. No obvious leaks. I started the car and ran up to operating temp. I couldn’t get an oil level reading but still said I needed two quarts. In my mybmw app it said the same. However, just now in mybmw app that message is no longer present. This is about 2 hours since starting the car in the morning. I wanted to take a screenshot from mybmw app. Now it says oil “ok”. WTF
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 09:45 AM   #13
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The warning light came on as I was pulling into the entrance to my apt bldg in late evening. I got up early this morning and looked under car. No obvious leaks. I started the car and ran up to operating temp. I couldn’t get an oil level reading but still said I needed two quarts. In my mybmw app it said the same. However, just now in mybmw app that message is no longer present. This is about 2 hours since starting the car in the morning. I wanted to take a screenshot from mybmw app. Now it says oil “ok”. WTF
Sounds like a sensor issue to me. I would def take to dealer to be on the safe side. You don't want to mess around with something like this. If it is actually that low, you could ruin your engine. Better to take to dealer and get something in writing from them rather than drive it and assume it is OK. Sounds like you are home so a lot easier to deal with than on a trip and out in the middle of nowhere....
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 09:47 AM   #14
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
WTF indeed. Hopefully it's just a one time gremlin. I would still at least visit the dealership to cover your ass.

Have you had your first oil change yet?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 09:49 AM   #15
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Really get into your engine bay with a flashlight. Might not be any leaks or drips that reach the pavement. But could have a tiny amount of seepage happening somewhere.

And obviously , you aren't smelling any oil, or anything after a hard drive ?
Have not smelled any burning oil. Good question. Just grabbed a few quarts. I have to travel out of town starting tomorrow so can’t take to dealer until I return.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 10:11 AM   #16
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like a sensor issue to me. I would def take to dealer to be on the safe side. You don't want to mess around with something like this. If it is actually that low, you could ruin your engine. Better to take to dealer and get something in writing from them rather than drive it and assume it is OK. Sounds like you are home so a lot easier to deal with than on a trip and out in the middle of nowhere....
I bought some oil but I am hesitant to add in case I overfill in case of a bad sensor. Do I let the car sit until I return home from business trip?

I started car and in the vehicle status screen still says I need two qts but mybmw app says oil “ok”. WTF. Have not had first oil change since purchase.

Do you know how long you need to let car run to measure oil?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 10:22 AM   #17
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I bought some oil but I am hesitant to add in case I overfill in case of a bad sensor. Do I let the car sit until I return home from business trip?

I started car and in the vehicle status screen still says I need two qts but mybmw app says oil “ok”. WTF. Have not had first oil change since purchase.

Oil cooler looks fine to me. I think if I lost two quarts quickly there would be obvious signs. Also, I didn’t get a warning at 1 qt low which should’ve happened sooner.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 10:26 AM   #18
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I don't have my M240i yet so I defer to other actual owners about measuring and so forth - all my other cars have dipsticks so I have never seen anything like this before. What does the manual say? I would think it would need to get up to operating temperature. All of my BMW motorcycles had to be at operating temperature but they had either a dipstick or a sight gage.

I can tell you that 2 quarts low is a major issue and not something I would take lightly. It probably is a malfunctioning sensor but since there is no way for you to manually check it (no dipstick), you are left in a bad spot not knowing.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 10:30 AM   #19
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have to travel out of town starting tomorrow so can’t take to dealer until I return.
If it was me, I would park it until I could get it to the dealer.

Last edited by WilcoJunoHotel; 10-08-2023 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
Bandit009357.00
      10-08-2023, 10:33 AM   #20
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't have my M240i yet so I defer to other actual owners about measuring and so forth - all my other cars have dipsticks so I have never seen anything like this before. What does the manual say? I would think it would need to get up to operating temperature. All of my BMW motorcycles had to be at operating temperature but they had either a dipstick or a sight gage.

I can tell you that 2 quarts low is a major issue and not something I would take lightly. It probably is a malfunctioning sensor but since there is no way for you to manually check it (no dipstick), you are left in a bad spot not knowing.
I will take it to the dealer when I get back from my trip. I am hesitant to add oil not knowing oil measurement. Dumb af not having a dipstick. Too much over engineering here. 🤦‍♂️
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 10:33 AM   #21
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
If you’re mechanically inclined, just drain all the oil, measure the volume and refill with new. Or get it towed to your dealer. But if your dealer isn’t too far and you’re happy that the message is gone and the oil level is probably okay then drive it to dealer asap
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 10:41 AM   #22
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
If you’re mechanically inclined, just drain all the oil, measure the volume and refill with new. Or get it towed to your dealer. But if your dealer isn’t too far and you’re happy that the message is gone and the oil level is probably okay then drive it to dealer asap
I am mechanically inclined, but I live in an apt bldg. I don’t have tools or space for this. Dealership is 0.5 miles down street from me. I gonna walk there in a bit to see if they have someone available to check. But. I think service dept closed on Sundays. Why does this shit happen at the most inopportune times? 😒
Appreciate 0