BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

11-14-2023, 07:36 PM   #1
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

All season tire options

Around 3 weeks ago I replaced my summer tires with Michelin Pilot All Season 4’s. I immediately noticed that the ride quality wasn’t quite right but I gave it some time thinking it’s maybe just different tread that felt different…but then I realized I had AS3+’s 2 years ago on my prior car and those rode smooth out of the gate. I’m now trying to figure out what to do.

At highway speeds it feels like I’m driving on a road that hasn’t been paved in 15 years, I don’t really feel anything through the steering wheel so I’m thinking the problem is in the rear wheels. I already removed and inspected the wheels and tires and retorqued all lugs and no improvement.

I had the shop that mounted the tires do road force balancing to get the best ride quality possible. Maybe their machine is defective, the employee didn’t do it correctly, or the tires are faulty.

I plan to have the shop rebalance the tires on the non-road force machine to see if they can find if the balance is bad and correct it. If the balance checks out, I am going to return the tires as Michelin has a 60 day guarantee.

Has anyone had good experience with any other brands of all seasons? I’ve never had a problem with the many sets of Michelins I’ve went through over the years. Praying it’s just a balancing issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 10:03 PM   #2
BG42
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

You check the wheel/tire section or just reviews on tire rack and look at reviews?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 10:08 PM   #3
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG42 View Post
You check the wheel/tire section or just reviews on tire rack and look at reviews?
Yeah, Bridgestone and Continental I think are potentials but I do not have experience with Continental
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 07:30 AM   #4
BG42
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Honestly Michelin are nicer than either brand. Would check to make sure your wheels aren't bent. Also in todays day and age where 90% of people are NPCs I would def take it somewhere else to verify.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 07:44 AM   #5
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG42 View Post
Honestly Michelin are nicer than either brand. Would check to make sure your wheels aren't bent. Also in todays day and age where 90% of people are NPCs I would def take it somewhere else to verify.
Wheels would have need to have been bent at the shop as it was fine the morning of.

I’ve been going to the same shop for years, ran by the same guys, they have 5 star solid reviews. I’ll see what happens after a rebalance and ask for their suggestion if it persists.

While getting the tires mounted I remember hearing them talking to another customer about some tires never being able to get perfectly balanced due to manufacturing issues, maybe I just got a bad tire.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 06:22 PM   #6
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

I have All Season 4s and have no issues. Smooth and quiet even at 140+mph. You have to have an issue with your particular tire(s)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 06:23 PM   #7
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
I have All Season 4s and have no issues. Smooth and quiet even at 140+mph. You have to have an issue with your particular tire(s)
Thanks, I go in Tuesday for re-balancing.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 07:20 PM   #8
Obsessive Detail
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport Estoril Blue

I have Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 all season tires. They are a lot more quiet and smoother than the factory run flats.
Appreciate 2
KJ10498.50
      11-15-2023, 09:55 PM   #9
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessive Detail View Post
I have Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 all season tires. They are a lot more quiet and smoother than the factory run flats.
These are the exact competitors to the Michelin ones I mentioned. From my research, both are great options. I ended up going the Michelin route since there was a sale on them at that time.

Edit: I posted this thinking I was in a different thread but point is still relevant
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 10:12 AM   #10
Jashue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 B58 G42

Last week I swapped my PS4Ss with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06+ to get through the winter. I figure good all seasons plus AWD will suffice instead of my usual practice of wearing dedicated snow tires. It's too early to say how they perform in the snow, but they are DAMN comfortable right NOW. I haven't pushed the car too aggressively in corners, so I can't speak about performance, but they are super quiet. The decibel reader on my watch shows about 60db at 80mph on a smooth road.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 11:55 AM   #11
tagoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

I have had 2 sets of the DWS06 tires on my e46 as well as the prior version of the tire (I think it was just called DWS). I ran them year round. I was very satisfied with the dry grip, noise level, and snow traction.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 04:49 PM   #12
vicbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jashue View Post
Last week I swapped my PS4Ss with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06+ to get through the winter. I figure good all seasons plus AWD will suffice instead of my usual practice of wearing dedicated snow tires. It's too early to say how they perform in the snow, but they are DAMN comfortable right NOW. I haven't pushed the car too aggressively in corners, so I can't speak about performance, but they are super quiet. The decibel reader on my watch shows about 60db at 80mph on a smooth road.
These Continental DWS06+ tires are my go to non-runflat, all-season choice for tires in Texas... I had an Audi S3 before getting my BMW M240i, and over the years I had 3 sets of these Continental tires on the Audi, very good choice! When my OEM run-flats on this M240i need to be replaced, I will be switching to NON run-flat tires and intend to get the DWS06+...Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 02:35 PM   #13
KJ10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Garage List
+1 for the DWS06+.I run them and have in the past and they are a great option for the money.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 11:57 AM   #14
kwikit356
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M240ix 16 Porsche Spyder

Continental Extreme Contact DWS06+ for Northeast Winters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jashue View Post
Once we really get into winter conditions it would likely help many people if you could provide your opinion on how well these tires work with the AWD 2-series.

I got my '23 M240i X-Drive at the end of September and have not even cracked 1200 miles yet (no driving to work anymore- just too damn old!), but I plan to install the Michelin X-Ice 235/40x19 tires on the OEM wheels very soon, then buy Apex forged wheels before spring to go back to the Michelin PS4S OEM 245-F AND 255-R tires.

Good luck this winter! I grew up in upstate NY and am very familiar with the snow-belt where you live. Even though I live in NH now, I'm so far south I can throw a baseball into MA from the back yard- not quite as much snow here, plus too close to the Atlantic coast.
Appreciate 1
Jashue202.50
      11-21-2023, 09:06 AM   #15
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I had the wheels/tires balancing checked today and they said the tires are balanced really well, and needed minimal adjustments when I initially had them road-force balanced. It's just the change from summers to more aggressively treaded all seasons that I am feeling.

So maybe I was expecting too much out of the AS4's, to the point where I expected to feel nothing through the steering wheel at highway speeds, which is probably not realistic. I didn't think to gauge the feel of the PS4S's immediately prior to switching to the AS4's for a proper before and after judgement.
Appreciate 2
PP3121363.50
nype141.00
      11-21-2023, 10:50 AM   #16
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Out of curiosity I reached to Tire Rack about Michelins Promise Plan, which allows me to return the tires within 60 days for any reason at no cost to me -- and they responded and they make it really easy to do.

I thought about switching back to PS4S's as I am able to avoid driving in the snow with my work situation, or switch to another brand like Continental for all seasons, but I'd be really frustrated if I had the same road feel after going through the hassle of switching.

Now the question is, do I feel like sitting in a shop again for 1.5 hours for another tire swap. I may just roll with it (no pun intended) until I need tires again. It is now getting cold in NJ, so it's good timing to have all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 09:47 AM   #17
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I think I am going to replace the tires. At highway speeds I can feel my calf muscles kind of subtlety jiggling at times, as weird as that sounds. With the PS4S’s I remember it being smooth as butter. Something does not feel right.

I am hoping the shop didn’t mess up my alignment or something. The Continental extremecontact dws 06+ are I think the next best tire, or I thought of maybe asking for a new set of AS4’s..what are the odds of me having a defective tire from an established brand like Michelin.

Regardless of which I pick, the $240 cost of mounting a new set of tires is on me, and the loss in money spent on AS4s over the conti’s.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 07:10 AM   #18
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
I think I am going to replace the tires. At highway speeds I can feel my calf muscles kind of subtlety jiggling at times, as weird as that sounds. With the PS4S’s I remember it being smooth as butter. Something does not feel right.

I am hoping the shop didn’t mess up my alignment or something. The Continental extremecontact dws 06+ are I think the next best tire, or I thought of maybe asking for a new set of AS4’s..what are the odds of me having a defective tire from an established brand like Michelin.

Regardless of which I pick, the $240 cost of mounting a new set of tires is on me, and the loss in money spent on AS4s over the conti’s.
Think replacing the tires at this point is the best you can do in a bad situation.

It is possible the shop never rechecked the tire balance.

A bad tire can manifest the behavior you notice. Word is a bad tire can be found via a road force balance. Because the tire is bad it won't balance. Or to complicate matters it will balance then when on the car and driven will go out of balance. But if balance is checked and found off then that should condemn the tire.

Michelin are good tires. So too are (in my experience) Pirelli, Continental, and Bridgestone tires. (I ran these at various times on my Porsche cars and Challengers, and now my M2 has Michelins.)

But there is the chance you got a bad tire. It happens. So unless you want to have the car in to another highly regarded tire shop or in to the dealer -- almost 100% of the time I had a dealer and its service department do all my cars' tire stuff -- replacing the tires is probably the right decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 07:21 AM   #19
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Think replacing the tires at this point is the best you can do in a bad situation.

It is possible the shop never rechecked the tire balance.

A bad tire can manifest the behavior you notice. Word is a bad tire can be found via a road force balance. Because the tire is bad it won't balance. Or to complicate matters it will balance then when on the car and driven will go out of balance. But if balance is checked and found off then that should condemn the tire.

Michelin are good tires. So too are (in my experience) Pirelli, Continental, and Bridgestone tires. (I ran these at various times on my Porsche cars and Challengers, and now my M2 has Michelins.)

But there is the chance you got a bad tire. It happens. So unless you want to have the car in to another highly regarded tire shop or in to the dealer — almost 100% of the time I had a dealer and its service department do all my cars' tire stuff — replacing the tires is probably the right decision.
Yeah I am really not sure what’s wrong at this point. The tires were initially road force balanced and they didn’t mention that anything was off… now I wish I had asked for numbers. I brought the car back 2 weeks later and they rechecked balancing and mentioned that the tires were good and they hardly had to add weights. They definitely took the wheels off as I saw the lug bolt locks were put back on in different wheel holes. I really hope they did not mess something up, like dropping/bending a wheel or who knows what else.

I contacted a performance shop who did work on my BRZ and recently did work on my buddy’s new M5 cs and they are going to do the tire swap. I will ask them to take a good look for anything that does not look right.

I am returning the AS4’s for Continental ExtemeContact DWS 06+. It will take too much leg work, time, and money to prove the issue is the result of a manufacturing defect so unfortunately I will be out another $250 for labor on mounting and balancing the new set. At this point I just want it resolved as quickly as possible. I’ve used nothing but Michelin for the past 10 years, and they’ve been great.
Appreciate 1
nype141.00
      12-01-2023, 12:02 PM   #20
nype
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

Sorry to hear about this, sounds super frustrating. But thanks for keeping this thread updated.

When I had the AS3+ and AS4 on my previous car the shop said the tires hardly needed to be balanced / very few weights were used. And the tires were great, no issues, all positive performance wise. Just maybe a bit noisy.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 12:05 PM   #21
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nype View Post
Sorry to hear about this, sounds super frustrating. But thanks for keeping this thread updated.

When I had the AS3+ and AS4 on my previous car the shop said the tires hardly needed to be balanced / very few weights were used. And the tires were great, no issues, all positive performance wise. Just maybe a bit noisy.
That’s the frustrating part, I had AS3+’s on my BRZ and they were great. I’d prefer to stick with Michelin but I’d hate to get another set of AS4’s and have the same issue. Plus the Conti’s are rated about the same, and are cheaper. Kicking myself for not ordering yesterday, I missed out on a promo that ended on 11/30
Appreciate 1
nype141.00